Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How not to ski big lines

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: How not to ski big lines

Postby Steve Gio » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:59 pm

If it was real, he had a long climb back up.

Postby Floyd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:14 pm

Steve Gio wrote:If it was real, he had a long climb back up.

That was my first thought. If it were me, there would have been some expletives paired with that last shot looking back up to the summit. And it did look a lot like me should I ever decide to put on skis.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:39 pm

If you read through the comments below the video, GoPro actually has a comment "Wow, good thing you put your helmet on before your skis! We are glad you are o.k.!" with Stefan replying "good i pressed play too.... :-) lucky lucky lucky..." This has to be a GoPro viral ad but it is still amazing to watch.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:44 pm

When he pans around after coming to a stop, you can see a series of bombholes where he tumbled across the snow. Looks pretty genuine to me, although I could be wrong...
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Oman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:46 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:
The thought has definitely crossed my mind, either for Gopro or Marker.

Can't believe it would be an ad for Marker. Those bindings should have released!

Postby Manky » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:49 pm

At least he was on K2's! They might have saved his butt-awesome video.
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...

Postby Oman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:49 pm

For some reason this video bugs me. I looked at it again and came away convinced it's a viral ad. In the real world, either those bindings would release, or those skis and/or legs would shatter. Seriously -- what DIN setting allows tomahawks into a dry rock and then a serious huck without even one ski releasing?

I also call BS on the camera staying intact; the lens being snowcaked in the beginning of the fall but clear in the end; and the guy being able to stand up after an apparent 1,000-foot tumble. He doesn't even have the wind knocked out of him? Come on.

Maybe there's camera or video people on this site. Couldn't this be shot with several different dummy tumbles and then patched together in the edit room?

Postby rickinco123 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:48 pm

If it is staged, they got him into that basin without any surrounding tracks, I guess they could have started staging a fall at the rocks to cover up tracks. I just don't see any prominent product placement and you can definitely eliminate Marker as a possibility. What would the tag line be? Marker.... our bindings don't release. Kiss your ACL goodbye. I have taken some huge head over ass tumbles in my 37 years of skiing and have had my skis stay on, much of the fall was in soft snow. The whole thing does have a suspiciously good production quality though. Did anyone else notice the other tracks in the nearby chute? This was not their first run.

Postby summit co kc » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:21 pm

Most people that dare ride markers bury their din. If I were skiing crazy s**t like that I'd crank my STH 16s down a bit too.

Postby HikerGuy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:47 pm

rickinco123 wrote:Did anyone else notice the other tracks in the nearby chute? This was not their first run.

Looks like the shot of the chute/tracks is where he fell from. His buddy must have skied down (only one set of tracks) after he booted back up. The shot is from the guy who fell (red helmet). My guess is he could not boot back up to the same spot due to the cornice/overhang he slipped off.

Postby Beachrodney » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:33 am

#-o whew! When I read the title to this post I thought somebody got a video of me at Berthoud friday! :D Pretty insane tumble!!

Postby hollamby » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:38 pm

I wonder why they locked the video to private...
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

PreviousNext