Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Prakash

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Prakash

Postby JoeyJ » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:46 pm

I have been absolutely amazed reading the selfless actions of our own Maverick Manley today!

Had to take time at break and say that all that he did on Rosalie was most commendable and outstanding. Very thrilling to think anyone on 14ers.com would do what he did and show such bravery. The picture of him giving up his own clothing, not thinking about his own skin or his own life, but trying to save another in need = wow, that is about as good as gets when it comes to sacrificing for others. Our Lord God even said that that type of sacrifice is about the greatest form of love a person can show toward another... You have my deepest respect Prakash. You def belong in the "mountaineering tales" section! :)

You are a hero.
"Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and that is all that matters."
John Wooden

Re: Prakash

Postby globreal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 pm

JoeyJ wrote:
You are a hero.

Raising my beverage and saying "here, here!" :iluvbeer:
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby tmathews » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Kudos to Alpine Rescue Team, also (and all SAR agencies involved)! Woody610 is a member.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:14 pm

Prakash earned some good Karma. Best wishes to him and Alyson.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby mtgirl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:37 pm

It scares me to think of what might have happened to Alyson if Prakash didn't make the decision to descend with her. His level-headed companionship, along with all his clothing he gave her, saved her life. It also had to be a miserable experience for him, down to a baselayer in the snow and heavy winds for about 12 hours. May good Karma follow you, Prakash.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby globreal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm

mtgirl wrote:It scares me to think of what might have happened to Alyson if Prakash didn't make the decision to descend with her.

It just scares me to hike alone. Period!

I got this in another email today. Some people on this site read the Bible, while some can't stand the thought. However, I thought this was ironic that I just read this in that other email. Seems appropriate to copy and paste it here.

“Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.” Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby sgladbach » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:39 pm

I never liked him. =D>
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby Kiefer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:54 pm

I concur with everyone. Hats off to you, Prakash. Keeping a level head like you did was amazing and probably
aided and helped with Alyson's mental game to stay lucent and clear-headed.

Big thanks and acknowledgement to Shawn (sdkeil) as well for helping SAR.
All the more examples of the strong community we are. =D>
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby gdthomas » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:29 am

Good job Prakash. Glad everything worked out relatively well for you and your partner.

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:34 pm

globreal wrote:“Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.” Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

.... and a cord of three strands is not easily broken. (v. 12).

Can someone point out a link for this story? Sounds interesting, haven't been following that many threads on here lately.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:26 am

Wow, just heard about this now. I haven't been paying much attention to the boards this week, work and skiing keeping my attention more these days I guess.

Great job Prakash, the world needs more climbing partners like you! That is what a good partner is for, and I am glad you and Alyson were well enough equipped to handle the situation and the weather so you could ultimately get back down safely. =D>

I hope Alyson's leg heals quickly and she is out climbing again soon.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Next