Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are you a Colorado native (doesn't apply for Josh)?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Are you a Colorado native (doesn't apply for Josh)?

Postby tmathews » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 am

Trudger wrote:Detroit > Denver when it comes to statues (Fist v. Horse): Image

LOL, this is an old piece, but it mentions the demonic DIA horse: Sinister Sites – The Denver International Airport

So this is what welcomes you when you enter the gates of hell…sorry, I meant the gates of the airport. A 32 foot high fiberglass stallion with veins popping out of its whole body and demonic eyes that glow red. Nice. I heard the children love it. Interesting fact: the horse killed his creator, Luis Jimenez, while he was working on it. A portion of the sculpture came loose and smashed him, causing fatal injuries. His friends now say that the horse is cursed.

What does it represent? The 1st thing that came to mind when I saw this horrendous piece (for an aiport anyways) is: the Pale horse of the Apocalypse. It is the fourth horse in the book of Revelation in the Bible and is approprietely called “Death”.

“And I looked, and behold a pale horse;
and his name that sat on him was
Death, and Hell followed with him. And
power was given unto them over the
fourth part of the earth, to kill with
sword, and with hunger, and with
death, and with the beasts of the earth”.
-Revelation 6:7-8

In other words, the horse “Death” brought killing with weapons, with hunger, and with disease. That’s pretty extreme a family airport, right? Doesn’t seem like that horse should be there. You will soon realize that it fits perfectly with the rest of the DIA. By the way, this is one scary horse anus!

Postby Skip Perkins » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:23 am

Oman,
That first cheeseburger wasn't in Lake City was it? :-#
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.

Postby colokeith » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Born and raised in Colorado Springs. After college I decided that I should move somewhere away from home. I researched all kinds of other places (California, Florida, New York ..) Ended up moving to Castle Rock where I live now. I can't find any good reasons to move away from this beautiful state!!
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby Woody610 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Our family came to Colorado back in the 1860's. It is incrediable to hear the stories about my mom climbing the fourteeners back in the 1940's and 50's. I believe she climbed over 20 of the fourteeners. When climbing the cable route on longs Peak, she actually used the cable. The attached photo is of family members preparing to Climb Mt Evans from our family ranch on Deer Creek. I believe it was about a 4-5 day trip to climb Mt Evans. Below is the description of the photo from my fathers book.

The Mount Evans climbers – August 1890. Wagon camp at the start at Deer Valley. Smiths, Wolffs, Cobbs, guests, and Charles
Fitzsimmons guide. Photo: F. C. Wolff, Woodward collection.

Mt Evans climbers.jpg
Mt Evans climbers.jpg (61.25 KiB) Viewed 1087 times

Postby tmathews » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:53 pm

That is truly awesome, Woody!

Postby iceman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Our family came to Colorado back in the 1860's. It is incrediable to hear the stories about my mom climbing the fourteeners back in the 1940's and 50's. I believe she climbed over 20 of the fourteeners. When climbing the cable route on longs Peak, she actually used the cable. The attached photo is of family members preparing to Climb Mt Evans from our family ranch on Deer Creek. I believe it was about a 4-5 day trip to climb Mt Evans. Below is the description of the photo from my fathers book.

The Mount Evans climbers – August 1890. Wagon camp at the start at Deer Valley. Smiths, Wolffs, Cobbs, guests, and Charles
Fitzsimmons guide. Photo: F. C. Wolff, Woodward collection.

That is awesome.

Postby Patinator » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:07 am

I was born in Boulder during the summer of love. My dad is a transplant, but my mom and her family have been here since the 1800s. My great, great granddad was a prospector who, instead of buying what is now Aspen, picked up a silver mine that now has a housing development on it. My granddad used to hunt rabbits in Wash Park and fly fish near Deckers (at least you can still do that). When I was in high school, I helped landscape the dirt from the old Diamond K Ranch into the sprawling suburbia that it is Highlands Ranch today.

Postby rickinco123 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:42 pm

My family has been here since the 1870s possibly the 1860s and even had one of Colorado's early ski areas, if you could call it a "ski area" and are responsible for several other landmarks in the Crested Butte area. My children are 6th or 7th gen. my daughter being the 5th gen female, skipping me, to be born in May and have May as a middle name.

I was not born here so.....

No.

Postby 14erdude83 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:48 am

Born in Ohio, moved to CO when i was 9, been here ever since! The memories I have is primarily of colorado, so I consider myself a native, but I know alot of you would say that I'm not...never the less I love this state and this is where I plan on being until I take my final breath.

Postby The Joe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:27 pm

I'm a native. Born at St. Anthony's. I have done some traveling but I have lived my entire life in the Denver metro area.

I have always had family ties here, so I guess I'm stuck here for another 10 years or so when my daughter goes her own way. I suppose if I'm gonna' be stuck somewhere it might as well be Colorado. I would like to move to a smaller town and avoid the bumper to bumper nightmare-ish I-70 weekend trek to and from the mountains.
"I'll get there, eventually. I'm too stubborn to quit!"

Postby outdoorpanda80 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Native! I've lived in Denver, Telluride, Summit County, Lakewood, and Boulder

Postby chasrobt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:17 am

from Albuquerque NM.

PreviousNext