Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are you a Colorado native (doesn't apply for Josh)?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Are you a Colorado native (doesn't apply for Josh)?

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Born and raised in Nova Scotia. Moved to Colorado in 1983 after a few months in Toronto. I was 26, so now have resided in Colorado more than half my life. However I figure an average of 2 or more weeks a year outside of Colorado. So I have another year or so before I can claim more time in Colorado than all other places combined!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby wooderson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:35 pm

SuperiorTrailHiker wrote: Michigan is a really nice place to be from.

I'm with you on that one. :)

And really I don't mean to rag on Michigan so much... I do sometimes find myself nostalgic for the U.P. and the little towns up in the northwest corner (Charlevoix, Petoskey, etc.). A lot of people don't realize just how spectacular the Great Lakes are... I mean Lake Michigan and Superior are almost like oceans, they're so massive.

But like you said, it's the "culture" that dominated much of the state that got to me... there seems to be a general lack of interest in seeing or doing new things. People are content to just stay home and rot. Case in point, I can hardly get my own family to come out here and visit... they keep pushing for me to come back there. And I do, but with all there is to do in and around Colorado (especially compared to mid-Michigan) I can't understand why getting them to come out is like pulling teeth. :?

Postby centrifuge » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Native.... mostly

I was born here, lived here until I was old enough to miss this wonderful place, and then was forced to live in Texas until my late teens and have lived here since. Living in Texas did a good job of making sure I don't take this amazing place I live in for granted!
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby Derek » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:34 pm

wooderson wrote:And really I don't mean to rag on Michigan so much... I do sometimes find myself nostalgic for the U.P. and the little towns up in the northwest corner (Charlevoix, Petoskey, etc.). A lot of people don't realize just how spectacular the Great Lakes are... I mean Lake Michigan and Superior are almost like oceans, they're so massive.

But like you said, it's the "culture" that dominated much of the state that got to me... there seems to be a general lack of interest in seeing or doing new things. People are content to just stay home and rot. Case in point, I can hardly get my own family to come out here and visit... they keep pushing for me to come back there. And I do, but with all there is to do in and around Colorado (especially compared to mid-Michigan) I can't understand why getting them to come out is like pulling teeth.

I agree completely on all sides that you bring up. Just this past summer I spent some time hiking and camping at Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area near Ludington on Lake Michigan (sadly...the ONLY wilderness area in the lower peninsula of Michigan) and had a nice time. Great beach, not a lot of people (as wooderson said...people like to stay home a lot) and nothing beats finishing a long hot hike with a swim!

However, its amazing how hard it is to find nice backpacking/hiking opportunities around there because there simply isn't interest in it. (At least not near where I am from.) Maybe thats the norm for the country, and CO is just VERY heavy into it. I dont know.

I miss the water of Michigan, but I'd miss the mountains more.

--Derek
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby SuperiorTrailHiker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:16 pm

wooderson wrote:
SuperiorTrailHiker wrote: Michigan is a really nice place to be from.

But like you said, it's the "culture" that dominated much of the state that got to me... there seems to be a general lack of interest in seeing or doing new things.

Speaking as someone who remembers Michigan fondly, it's a strange place. With the understanding that I know I'm speaking in broad generalities, it's sorta like a melting pot that ain't melted all the way yet. Among a lot of other folks before and after who all added their own unassimilated mojo, Michigan got a huge influx of people from Appalachia in the mid-20th century, and it shows up everywhere (and I don't mean that in a negative way, as Appalachia is both beautiful and populated with wonderful people, just that Michigan culture can be jarring to other Northerners who thought they knew what to expect).

There's a lot of interest in NASCAR and other forms of racing in general, deer hunting is a religion, as are softball and football, but all of that is mixed with this industrial city-boy outlook crossed at the same time with some real vehement back-woodsness, with the result that it's really hard to dial in on exactly what's going on at any given moment.

My best example is the "Pets or Meat" lady from Roger & Me. Not gigging on her, doin' what she's gotta do, but to anyone who saw that, try and say you didn't think "Buh, wha? Wait a minute . . . " Basically, it's not all that surprising that you've heard of the Michigan Militia and not so much, say, the Vermont Militia.

The Great Lakes are wonderful. I grew up literally on the shores of Huron, water to the horizons. But Minnesota has a few hundred miles of Superior coast itself, traversed by a world-class trail through true boreal wilderness, so I get my Great Lake and backcountry fix regularly, and it's a bigger state with about one third the number of people that Michigan has, so all in all, Go Blue, but no regrets about where I live now.
Last edited by SuperiorTrailHiker on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby iceman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Another from Akron, OH. Moved to Pueblo, CO in 1999 and then to Glenwood Springs in 2001. I have seen most of Colorado and I must say, i would rather be from Ohio than anywhere east of the mountains in Colorado :D When we moved here and I started seeing the NATIVE bumper stickers, I was pretty surprised to see how pale ALL of the drivers were :shock: I would agree that it is pretty silly thing to be proud of.

Postby strongmelon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:03 pm

I thought I'd share something that I hear from countless fans:

"Colorado is Strongmelon's state, we just live here!"

God bless 'em!

Postby Trudger » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:50 pm

Detroit > Denver when it comes to statues (Fist v. Horse):

Image Image

Postby Papillon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Derek wrote:I agree completely on all sides that you bring up. Just this past summer I spent some time hiking and camping at Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area near Ludington on Lake Michigan (sadly...the ONLY wilderness area in the lower peninsula of Michigan) and had a nice time. Great beach, not a lot of people (as wooderson said...people like to stay home a lot) and nothing beats finishing a long hot hike with a swim!

However, its amazing how hard it is to find nice backpacking/hiking opportunities around there because there simply isn't interest in it. (At least not near where I am from.) Maybe thats the norm for the country, and CO is just VERY heavy into it. I dont know.

I miss the water of Michigan, but I'd miss the mountains more.

--Derek

Did you ever make it up and out to Isle Royale NP? That is my one regret. Seven months before we moved, we took our last vacation and came out for a week in RMNP. We kicked around Isle Royale pretty hard for that one. I don't know if I'll ever make it out there. Logistically, it is kind of a mess. Everyone tells me to fork over the extra $$$ ($200-ish) and take the plane instead of the boat or you will hate life. The waves can be rough getting to The Manitou Islands and that is only 90 minutes. I read somewhere that more people visit Yellowstone in a day than Isle Royale in a year.

If I had my say, I'd recommend rebuilding and maintaining the North Country Trail from St. Ignace to either The Porcupines or the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula. The U.P. is a different world and the NCT is really in bad shape and/or non-existent in parts.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby kimo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:52 pm

Trudger wrote:Detroit > Denver when it comes to statues (Fist v. Horse)

I don't know about that. As far as horses go that's a mighty badass horse - even in blue. It's crazed, possessed - eerie. If it were painted like charred coal it would be evil. It stands proud like a god of strength - like Boreas - like the wind. Look at its mane. I see that horse and I see Colorado's past, present, and future.

That said, and for better or worse, I was born near Los Angeles. And I loved and hated 29 years there.

Postby Oman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Trudger wrote:Detroit > Denver when it comes to statues (Fist v. Horse):

Image Image

Detroit has the Fist, but Denver has the first cheeseburger!

Postby jrbren_vt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:44 am

But ... Robocop is coming to Detroit:
http://www.freep.com/article/20110216/NEWS09/110216022/Mark-W-Smith-What-we-can-learn-from-RoboCop-s-success?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Why not ? Scotland has Mel Gibson:

OK, I would rather have a cheeseburger then any of these :oops:
Best Regards - John

PreviousNext