Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are you a Colorado native (doesn't apply for Josh)?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Are you a Colorado native (doesn't apply for Josh)?

Postby JsinDeAZ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Born in Panama. Raised in Tucson, AZ. Lived all over AZ. Put in a two year stint in Boulder County, CO that got me hooked on the 14ers. As I said in a prior post awhile back, I was born in Panama and that's where I intend to end... a shack on the beach with a sea kayaking business sounds Utopian...
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron

Postby USAKeller » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:26 am

Born and raised in Boulder, CO!
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Postby glacierPaul » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:44 am

Fifth generation on my Dad's side, Fourth generation on my Mom's, yes, I am a Native of Colorado. Clear Creek is home to 60+% CO natives, according to the census.

GerryRigged wrote:My daughter has instructions to scatter my ashes over Stuart lake above Loc Lomund which is below the summit of James Peak.

Very cool, Gerry! I only wish to correct 2 names in your post, Steuart and Loch Lomond. The lot across from my parking area is still owned by a Steuart, her family owned almost all the mining claims in the area back in the late 1800's. Mt. Bancroft is named after the man who built and named Loch Lomond. Just a little history...
TK, it is amazing how much the entire state has grown in just our lifetime. As a plumber, I have seen one of the largest open field areas, turn into Highlands Ranch. Not to mention all other thousands of houses (sub-divisions) from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs. I remember back in the early 90's they were saying there would be 99,000 more people in Colorado within 10 years time, hence the massive housing explosion, and subsequent disaster we have now.

To all the folks who are not natives, Welcome!, and at least you can say you are a Coloradan now! It is the best state, IMO.

Postby glacierPaul » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:48 am

Mountainspirit wrote:Here's a question for our forum members (hope it doesn't get too political) . . .

I conceived my son here in Colorado (Estes), yet he was born in Chicago.

Is he considered a Colorado native?

I would call him a Coloradan by conception, a Chicagan by birth. There is a t-shirt idea.

So, is this what they call a birther issue? :wink:

Postby Yalegirl09 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:13 am

Born in BIcester England on an Air Force Base... moved to Colorado on my third birthday and I never plan on leaving!

Postby kaiman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:56 am

Conceived, born, and raised in Eagle County, Colorado!
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby winglady » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:00 am

Born & raised in Denver. So was my Mom.

Dad was actually born in St. Louis in the back of an uncle's shoe repair shop -- his mother had traveled from their home in Colorado to Missouri to be in a bigger city with "better" hospitals to give birth. So much for that plan! Mother and baby returned home to Colorado as soon as both were ready to travel, so we usually called Dad a Colorado Native as well.
Colorado-for-Free - free things to see and do throughout Colorado
The Winger Bookstore
New: Two Shadows
And: Because It's There - A Photographic Journey
The Trad Guide to Joshua Tree
The Essential Guide to Great Sand Dunes National Park
Highpoint Adventures

Postby rking007 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:01 am

Mom was born in Delware and grew up in Hawaii and Salt Lake City, Utah. Dad was born in California and lived in Benicia near San Fransisco and then moved to Salt Lake. They both had parents in the military and were transferred to Utah. I was born in Salt Lake and moved to Arvada when I was 5. We moved to Highlands Ranch in 1986 and watched it grow up all around us. I have always loved the mountains but oddly enough never had the interest of skiing or boarding. So not a native but do love this place! All three of my kids are natives though and my son Levi, 6, just told me that he wants to get a hiking backpack like mine and go hiking and camping this summer! That's my boy!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby traderaaron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 am

Family homesteaded in Colorado in 1917 and have been natives ever since.

Postby shaunster_co » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 am

Parents moved here from Oregon when I was like 6 months old... So not quite a native - just 41 years.

Postby mtgirl » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:44 am

Born in upstate New York and spent entirely too long there. Put in a few years of work with the government and transferred the first opportunity I got. I had taken a couple vacations to Colorado and Wyoming, and I knew the mountains was where I belonged. I've been in Colorado since 1998 - I truly wasn't alive until I made the move. My job offers a 20 year law enforcement retirement, so I intend to retire very young. I've often thought about selling the house, buying a big RV and just travel. Spend a month or two wherever I want and move on.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Derek » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:47 am

Nope.

Born and raised in central Michigan, college in Kalamazoo Michigan, moved out here after graduation in late 2005.

Not going back. [-(

--Derek
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

PreviousNext