Abandoned SUV near Webster Pass

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Abandoned SUV near Webster Pass

Post by Mark A Steiner »

I'm impressed with the body of this vehicle. Clean as a whistle. Apparently the sometimes 100 mph winds provided some snow-blasting action - keeping the exterior looking like new without obvious abrasion. Anyway -

Hope we have a good conclusion to this tale ...
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

sivadselim wrote:raptured

:shock:
ROFL

Anyway, thanks for solving the mystery Cruiser.
Motown Mike
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Motown Mike »

BAUMGARA wrote:Hmmm wonder who made the call.....
Four months later (last night 11:30) the police showed up at my mom’s house asking for me. Half hour later they call my house in Denver to inquire about my truck which apparently made it’s way on to a few websites over the weekend and someone called it in. Being a fan of Rising Sun and i8mud I immediately checked and discovered the fate to date of my beloved cruiser.
Correct you were in your analysis that "rescue" was not an realistic option. You most likely know all the routes to this point below treeline and know that they are covered with 8 or 10 feet of snow. You were correct that this is one of the silly things you see in the mountains.

It is interesting that the police sent two officers to the mother's house....

Someone else suggested making a Toyota Commercial and driving it out??

If the driver left a Power Bar or any crumbs in the car... tell the Pikas not to ride in the luggage compartment as it might be dangerous.

I will bet the snow inside the car has melted and filled several times over the last four months...
By May or June when the roads are clear enough for a removal... this truck could be a large petri dish.

This car is a miracle of computer and electronics...

Here is a list of the electronics

By the way, everything under the dash will be soaked or damp, frozen, unfrozen, all wet.... BUT NASA HAS TESTED THEM ON EIGHT VEHICLES.

A few of these systems could come into significant play on the return trip....

Engine 5.7-Liter DOHC 32-Valve V8 with Dual Independent Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i); 381 hp @ 5600 rpmIgnition
Electronic, with Toyota Direct Ignition (TDI)
Transmission 6-speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i); sequential shift mode and uphill/downhill shift logic
Drivetrain
Full-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and Torsen® [1] limited-slip center differential with locking feature
Suspension
Independent double-wishbone front suspension with coil springs and stabilizer bar; 4-link rear suspension with coil springs, stabilizer bar and semi-floating axle
Steering Engine speed-sensing power-assisted rack-and-pinion
Turning circle diameter, curb to curb (ft.) 38.7
Brakes
Power-assisted 4-piston front/2-piston rear ventilated disc brakes with hydraulic brake booster with Multi-terrain 4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA) [2]; ABS operates in high and low ranges

per Toyota's brochure...Toyota Land Cruisers are designed to meet most off-road driving requirements. Abusive use may result in bodily harm or damage. Toyota encourages responsible operation to protect you, your vehicle and the environment
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

we are all SO Dramatic.....

That's why I love 14ers.com.
OnyourLeft
Trip Reports (1)

Post by OnyourLeft »

I have to say the whole 20/20 "Wrong Turn" story mostly reinforced that some people should never go near the woods. Many incredible choices made there. Starting with sitting in a parked vehicle, that was not stuck, with gas in the tank for the better part of a week and ending with choosing a wooded forest vs. a logging road as the best route out. Still a very sad story though.
mtsuji
14ers: 58  5  4 
13ers: 10 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtsuji »

Motown Mike wrote:
BAUMGARA wrote:Hmmm wonder who made the call.....
Four months later (last night 11:30) the police showed up at my mom’s house asking for me. Half hour later they call my house in Denver to inquire about my truck which apparently made it’s way on to a few websites over the weekend and someone called it in. Being a fan of Rising Sun and i8mud I immediately checked and discovered the fate to date of my beloved cruiser.
Correct you were in your analysis that "rescue" was not an realistic option. You most likely know all the routes to this point below treeline and know that they are covered with 8 or 10 feet of snow. You were correct that this is one of the silly things you see in the mountains.

It is interesting that the police sent two officers to the mother's house....

Someone else suggested making a Toyota Commercial and driving it out??

If the driver left a Power Bar or any crumbs in the car... tell the Pikas not to ride in the luggage compartment as it might be dangerous.

I will bet the snow inside the car has melted and filled several times over the last four months...
By May or June when the roads are clear enough for a removal... this truck could be a large petri dish.

This car is a miracle of computer and electronics...

Here is a list of the electronics

By the way, everything under the dash will be soaked or damp, frozen, unfrozen, all wet.... BUT NASA HAS TESTED THEM ON EIGHT VEHICLES.

A few of these systems could come into significant play on the return trip....

Engine 5.7-Liter DOHC 32-Valve V8 with Dual Independent Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i); 381 hp @ 5600 rpmIgnition
Electronic, with Toyota Direct Ignition (TDI)
Transmission 6-speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i); sequential shift mode and uphill/downhill shift logic
Drivetrain
Full-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and Torsen® [1] limited-slip center differential with locking feature
Suspension
Independent double-wishbone front suspension with coil springs and stabilizer bar; 4-link rear suspension with coil springs, stabilizer bar and semi-floating axle
Steering Engine speed-sensing power-assisted rack-and-pinion
Turning circle diameter, curb to curb (ft.) 38.7
Brakes
Power-assisted 4-piston front/2-piston rear ventilated disc brakes with hydraulic brake booster with Multi-terrain 4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA) [2]; ABS operates in high and low ranges

per Toyota's brochure...Toyota Land Cruisers are designed to meet most off-road driving requirements. Abusive use may result in bodily harm or damage. Toyota encourages responsible operation to protect you, your vehicle and the environment

I see the point you're trying to make but the info you posted is for a new Land Cruiser. The one that is stuck is mid 90's, two solid axles, I-6, and considerably less electronics. Not to say that the electronics will be damaged but you're citing information from a vehicle that is a decade and a half newer than the one that is stuck.
Motown Mike
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Motown Mike »

Good point...

The sun will get this vehicle much warmer inside than the external temp... with the windows closed and not many places for the condensation to escape it will most likely play havoc with the electornics, upholstery, and flooring.... whatever year it was.

Opening the doors might have been the best thing that could have happened to this car... a window open just enough to dry the car out might be a good idea....

your points are well taken..
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

Well now we know how and why it's there. I am just glad the owner is not still in that SUV waiting for help to arrive. But if I were him, I would have an as is, and you gotta go get it sale. Recovery would probably out- weight the salvage of it. Good luck to you buddy.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

bking14ers wrote:Well now we know how and why it's there. I am just glad the owner is not still in that SUV waiting for help to arrive. But if I were him, I would have an as is, and you gotta go get it sale. Recovery would probably out- weight the salvage of it. Good luck to you buddy.
Sounds like the 4x4 community is ready to jump on top of a fun day out with this one. I think they'll get it out free for him... maybe a few cases of beer as a sign of appreciation. I just want to be there when it happens.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Hey at least he only had to spend one night in his truck.......
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

I was wondering about this Land Cruiser recently, so I revisited the thread that was posted in the Rising Sun Member Forum. Apparently, the truck's owner had a couple of friends who paid a visit to it at the beginning of April and sort of prepped it a bit for the recovery effort. They posted a couple of videos. Since they were up there, though, the area has received a lot more snow. I wonder if they are going to have empty out the interior of snow again.

Last edited by tmathews on Tue May 17, 2011 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

This would be ridiculously perfect video for a CarFax commercial..........

I hope they post more on the final recovery, repair, and final product!

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."