Abandoned SUV near Webster Pass

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Abandoned SUV near Webster Pass

Post by Boggy B »

Right at the top of the gully NE of PT 12399 at Webster Pass. From a distance I thought it was a stuck snowmobile. What a surprise to find a nice, shiny Land Cruiser completely filled with snow. 60 mph winds don't respect weather seals. What's the scoop?

It's pretty windy here

Couldn't pass up the chance to get an abandoned carski. Note the snow inside
yourhorsedoctor
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Abandoned SUV near Webster Pass

Post by yourhorsedoctor »

I love that it has handicapped plates!
mtnview
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mtnview »

That seems just bizarre! Maybe missed the recall on that one? #-o
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Hope they bring a new battery come Spring!
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

It doesn’t look like it’s on a road. Was it? Maybe it’s the same guy who got his truck stuck on Cameron last year!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
BAUMGARA
14ers: 58  6  5 
13ers: 22 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

DIBS!!!!!! I'll hire a helicopter to go get that!
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

BAUMGARA wrote:DIBS!!!!!! I'll hire a helicopter to go get that!
Sorry, Ryan, it blew off the mountain today! :wink: :mrgreen:
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

MountainHiker wrote:It doesn’t look like it’s on a road. Was it? Maybe it’s the same guy who got his truck stuck on Cameron last year!
There's a 4WD road that goes over Webster Pass and up to Red Cone. It's off the road a few hundred feet. Wonder if they left the road and got stuck (doesn't look like it) or broke down..
outsidemike
14ers: 32  8  3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by outsidemike »

Interesting... Anyone report it to the forest service? I wonder if there is anyone inside? Might be part of a missing persons search also.
"A climber's day always starts at the crux: getting out of bed."
Motown Mike
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Motown Mike »

Ok... so the car is filled with snow... how do you know that no one is under the snow???

Were the doors unlocked?

Last week in NYC they found several bodies in cars that were covered with snow... drivers that died from Carbon Monoxide due to the exhaust being covered by snow.... or perhaps snowplows that plowed them in while they were parked ....

I guess leaving your shiny 4wd near the top of a mountain is not something that one is eager to confess to... but the plates are readable in the photo.. so the owner is pretty much revealed to the public.

Not a nice thought ... but just wondered if you opened the door and scooped the snow away to see of someone was on the floor of the car?
bfsmith
14ers: 40 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by bfsmith »

That is positively freaky!

Can't someone just "run" the plates? Looks like it is CO 467 HJ1???
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Apparently the owner took the Shoe Leather Express back to, let's say, US 285. Those of you who have been to Webster Pass or Red Cone: how many miles back to 285 are we looking at? Five to ten? Where did (he) go from there? When?
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.