Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Greg Hill

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Greg Hill

Postby speth » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Ka-Pow! Mr Monster Legs, by the sounds of it...

Colorado ski mountaineers may recognize Hill's name as that of the randonee racer who joined Crested Butte's Jimmy Faust in setting the world record for vertical feet climbed and skied during the now-defunct 24 Hours of Sunlight race in 2006. But that 50,100 vertical spin over the course of a planetary revolution paled in comparison with the resolution Hill set for himself in 2010.

The 35-year-old from Revelstoke, British Columbia, rang in the new year with a world record for vertical feet climbed and skied in a calendar year, hitting his goal of 2 million on Dec. 30, 2010, with friends and family on Rogers Pass before tacking on another 10,000 for good measure at his home hill on New Year's Eve.

Going vertical: Greg Hill sets world record for climbing, skiing down - http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/ci_17003187
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Re: Greg Hill

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 pm

You think you've seen it all till something like this comes along. Thats absurd, to say Greg Hill is badass would be the understatement of the millenium.

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:43 am

Wow. 2,010,000 vertical feet in a year comes out to a mere 5,507 vertical feet DAILY for the entire year. Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of days when it isn't possible to do long skin lines in a lot of places, so I'd assume that he probably has quite a few 10,000 VF days in there.

This guy must be a lung wtih legs.

Postby gdthomas » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:16 am

An impressive accomplishment indeed, especially keeping track of it all. For those signed up for Epic MIx at the five Vail resorts you can now tally your vertical feet skied basd on the vertical rise of the chairs you ride and a computer does the math for you. The era of measuring skiing in days has gone the way of the Dodo.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:34 am

gdthomas wrote:An impressive accomplishment indeed, especially keeping track of it all. For those signed up for Epic MIx at the five Vail resorts you can now tally your vertical feet skied basd on the vertical rise of the chairs you ride and a computer does the math for you. The era of measuring skiing in days has gone the way of the Dodo.

Except 1 full day in the BC usually adds up to 3,000-5,000' max (at least for me). That's a short day at the resort!

That reminds me - when are you getting the AT setup and joining me for some peaks?
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby gdthomas » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:25 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
gdthomas wrote:An impressive accomplishment indeed, especially keeping track of it all. For those signed up for Epic MIx at the five Vail resorts you can now tally your vertical feet skied basd on the vertical rise of the chairs you ride and a computer does the math for you. The era of measuring skiing in days has gone the way of the Dodo.

Except 1 full day in the BC usually adds up to 3,000-5,000' max (at least for me). That's a short day at the resort!

That reminds me - when are you getting the AT setup and joining me for some peaks?

I don't know now that Santa's come and gone but when I do you'll be the first to know.

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 pm

If you think you are in shape, read his blog.
http://www.greghill.ca/
He says stuff like this:
I was wondering how many runs I have taken so far this year and in 261 days I have averaged 7520 ft a day with 1019 runs total.

Exhausted. There is not a lot of ummmfff in my steps these days, I am still able to pull of big days but it is requiring many hours. 10770 ft today but it took close to 8 hours. Wicked skiing though, faceshots and power sluffing. Such a great way to finish off this mission.

I feel very out of shape for some reason.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby tmahon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Super impressive.

There's a great interview with him on Powder online right now - http://www.powdermag.com/features/onlineexclusive/domo-arigato-mr-roboto/

Well worth the read.