Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New book filled with mountaineering tales

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

New book filled with mountaineering tales

Postby winglady » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:37 am

For those who enjoy adventurous stories about mountaineering, take a look at Charlie Winger's new autobiography,
Two Shadows - the inspirational story of one man's triumph over adversity

Just to give you an idea, here is part of the table of contents:

Chapter 6 Special Relationships - Climbing Partners
Chapter 7 Ecuador - Climbs in the Andes - Cotopaxi, Chimborazo, & Tungurahua
Chapter 8 Denali – The Great One - West Rib & West Buttress
Chapter 9 Argentina - Chile - Aconcagua
Chapter 10 Africa - Mt. Kilimanjaro & Mt. Kenya
Chapter 11 USSR - Russia - Climbs in the Pamirs - Peak Communism & Mt. Elbrus
Chapter 12 India - Trisul
Chapter 13 Nepal - Climbs in the Himalaya - Annapurna Sanctuary, Fluted Peak, Gokyo Ri
Chapter 14 Peru - Climbs in the Cordillera Blanca - Pisco, Chopicalqui, Huascarán Sur
Chapter 15 Bolivia - Climbs in the Cordillera Real - Huayna Potosi, Illimani, & Condoriri
Chapter 16 European Blitz - Climbs in the Alps - Matterhorn, Mount Blanc, Grossglockner
Chapter 17 Scandinavia - Land of the Midnight Sun
Chapter 18 El Picacho del Diablo - A Devil of a Peak
Chapter 19 High Mountains & Slot Canyons - Boundary Peak & The Subway
Chapter 20 One Last Time (The Finale) - Ama Dablam & Ishinca
Chapter 21 Here, There & Everywhere - A Collection of Vignettes

The book is available from numerous online booksellers, including Amazon, and is also available as an e-book (Kindle).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1453786783
Colorado-for-Free - free things to see and do throughout Colorado
The Winger Bookstore
New: Two Shadows
And: Because It's There - A Photographic Journey
The Trad Guide to Joshua Tree
The Essential Guide to Great Sand Dunes National Park
Highpoint Adventures

Re: New book filled with mountaineering tales

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:16 am

Thanks for the note on this... for those who aren't familiar with Charlie Winger, he is a major highpointer, peak-bagger, and guide book writer. Probably his best-known work is a collaboration with his wife, Diane, called "Highpoint Adventures: The Complete Guide to the 50 State Highpoints." I don't know any state highpointers who don't own this book!

Earlier this year I did "Pilot Rock," the highpoint of the Petrified Forest National Park, and came across a register with just four signatures. Charlie's was the last, from 2007! This may sound dorky, but for highpointers that's kind of cool, running across something like that.

I'll check out this book for sure, "winglady" - hmmm... any relation? - but first I need to finish Gerry Roach's "Orthogonal Adventures." I made the mistake of starting three books at the same time, and now I haven't finished any of them.

I see by the table of contents that Charlie's done Tungurahua. Bet he's glad he got that one... don't think anyone's going to be going up the "Throat of Fire" again any time soon!

Postby bmullen37 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:30 am

anybody want to get this for me for Christmas???
I keep reading "Eiger Dreams" and "Fight Club".
Need some new material.
Thanks!!

Postby winglady » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 pm

susanjoypaul wrote: "winglady" - hmmm... any relation? -

I've been using Winglady so long as my forum name everywhere that I forgot that anyone might not know who I am...yes, I'm married to Charlie. He's Wingman.

So that's Winglady, aka Diane Winger, aka Charlie's co-author on guidebooks & publicist on his autobiography.

Thanks for the kind words about Highpoint Adventures!
The Winger Bookstore
Highpoint Adventures

Postby Aubrey » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:29 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:... "Highpoint Adventures: The Complete Guide to the 50 State Highpoints." I don't know any state highpointers who don't own this book!

True. I'm not even an "official" state highpointer, but even I own this book. It has been very useful on many occasions because there isn't a "14ers.com" for state highpoints.

susanjoypaul wrote:I see by the table of contents that Charlie's done Tungurahua. Bet he's glad he got that one... don't think anyone's going to be going up the "Throat of Fire" again any time soon!

I was thinking the exact same thing. He's like one of the people who climbed Mt. St. Helens before it erupted in 1980. When we were down in Ecuador earlier this year, Tungurahua was erupting pretty much the entire time. And when we were at the 16,500-foot hut on Chimbo, ash from Tungu (carried by the high winds) dumped on us throughout the night.

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:41 am

winglady wrote:I've been using Winglady so long as my forum name everywhere that I forgot that anyone might not know who I am... So that's Winglady, aka Diane Winger...

Ha! I had no idea, really, but how cool is that? Nice to see you posting here, Diane. I'm working (slowly) on the state highpoints myself, and using your book along the way!

I got North and South Dakota this year, and it was really quite an experience! Harney Peak was a lot of fun - pretty crowded though - and we got the highpoints of Badlands National Park (Redshirt Table) and Wind Cave National Park (Rankin Ridge) while we were up there.

White Butte, North Dakota was a very cool hike, too. We had a lot of wind and rain... and now I know why they say not to do it in bad weather. We *almost* had to back off that one, due to all that slippery mud! We found an "alternate route" up some grassy slopes, though, and managed to stay vertical.

And since we were all the way up there (in North Dakota)... we went and did "Peck Hill" and Buck Hill too, the official and unofficial highpoints of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Now *that* was a pleasant and unexpected, really delightful surprise! What a place... as Roosevelt himself describes it:

"I grow very fond of this place, and it certainly has a desolate, grim beauty of its own, that has a curious fascination for me."

"The Bad Lands grade all the way from those that are almost rolling in character to those that are so fantastically broken in form and so bizarre in color as to seem hardly properly to belong to this earth."

"The Bad Lands... a chaos of peaks, plateaus, and ridges."

Another highlight of that trip: the food in North Dakota is really *hot* - I mean, everywhere we ate I had to let my meal cool off! It was nice to eat out for a change and not have to rush through the mashed potatoes. Colorado restaurants: pay attention! After a big hike, while our bodies are quickly cooling down and we're getting the shivers, we like our food HOT.

winglady wrote:yes, I'm married to Charlie. He's Wingman.

That clears up another mystery for me, as well: I see WingMan pop up on LoJ a lot and always wondered who he was. Especially since he's one of only six guys on that site who's completed all the lower 48 Ultras!

~~~~~

Hi Aubrey :D

Postby winglady » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:46 pm

The Dakotas were fun highpoints -- I really enjoyed those.

How many have you completed? I stopped at 49, and it isn't hard to guess which state highpoint I don't plan on doing.

BTW, Charlie includes a much more detailed description of our "Lost" adventure doing Boundary (HP of NV) in his new book. That's the one with the skull & crossbones designation on the map in Highpoint Adventures, showing which way NOT to descend the peak.
The Winger Bookstore
Highpoint Adventures

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Aubrey wrote:by susanjoypaul » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:41 am
winglady wrote:
I've been using Winglady so long as my forum name everywhere that I forgot that anyone might not know who I am... So that's Winglady, aka Diane Winger...
Ha! I had no idea, really, but how cool is that? Nice to see you posting here, Diane. I'm working (slowly) on the state highpoints myself, and using your book along the way!

I got North and South Dakota this year, and it was really quite an experience! Harney Peak was a lot of fun - pretty crowded though - and we got the highpoints of Badlands National Park (Redshirt Table) and Wind Cave National Park (Rankin Ridge) while we were up there.

White Butte, North Dakota was a very cool hike, too. We had a lot of wind and rain... and now I know why they say not to do it in bad weather. We *almost* had to back off that one, due to all that slippery mud! We found an "alternate route" up some grassy slopes, though, and managed to stay vertical.

And since we were all the way up there (in North Dakota)... we went and did "Peck Hill" and Buck Hill too, the official and unofficial highpoints of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Now *that* was a pleasant and unexpected, really delightful surprise! What a place... as Roosevelt himself describes it:

"I grow very fond of this place, and it certainly has a desolate, grim beauty of its own, that has a curious fascination for me."

"The Bad Lands grade all the way from those that are almost rolling in character to those that are so fantastically broken in form and so bizarre in color as to seem hardly properly to belong to this earth."

"The Bad Lands... a chaos of peaks, plateaus, and ridges."

Another highlight of that trip: the food in North Dakota is really *hot* - I mean, everywhere we ate I had to let my meal cool off! It was nice to eat out for a change and not have to rush through the mashed potatoes. Colorado restaurants: pay attention! After a big hike, while our bodies are quickly cooling down and we're getting the shivers, we like our food HOT.

Glad you enjoyed White Butte and Buck Hill, Susan. Next time up there you may try Bullion Butte (3,366') along the Little Missouri River and Sentinel Butte (3,430') to the northwest. Both offer startling views of the ND Badlands with a fair amount of local relief.

To quote the NoDaks - "UFF-da".
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:15 pm

winglady wrote:How many have you completed? I stopped at 49, and it isn't hard to guess which state highpoint I don't plan on doing.

I have just 13 so far, all in the west. I'm trying to get the harder ones out of the way before I get *too* old for this stuff, but I still have Denali to tackle, too. I figure once I get that one and Granite, I can manage the rest at just about any age :-)

winglady wrote:BTW, Charlie includes a much more detailed description of our "Lost" adventure doing Boundary (HP of NV) in his new book. That's the one with the skull & crossbones designation on the map in Highpoint Adventures, showing which way NOT to descend the peak.

I'll have to check that out! Boundary was definitely my *least* favorite state highpoint. I did it the day after coming off Whitney, and then followed it up the next day with White Mountain Peak! Five big days with no rest... and I think I messed up my Achilles tendon on all that scree. It still hurts after a tough day of climbing.

Mark A Steiner wrote:Glad you enjoyed White Butte and Buck Hill, Susan. Next time up there you may try Bullion Butte (3,366') along the Little Missouri River and Sentinel Butte (3,430') to the northwest. Both offer startling views of the ND Badlands with a fair amount of local relief.

I'll have to check those out also... it was sad to leave North Dakota, thinking I might never return. Such beautiful country! Maybe I'll have to add "ND County Highpoints" to my "List of Lists" :-)

My photos of the Badlands just don't do that place justice, but I did get a good shot of White Butte, with its chalky cliffs and wet, windswept grass. Some people tell me the pics I took on that trip remind them of "Dances with Wolves," but this one reminds me of that Andrew Wyeth painting, "Christina's World":

Anyway... so many places to go, so much to see. And for all those that I'll never get to? Well, I'll just have to read books like Charlie's to take me there, I guess!

Postby winglady » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:18 am

We're having a special Kindle sale for Two Shadows - the inspirational story of one man's triumph over adversity.

From now through World Book Day -- March 3, 2011 -- we've reduced the price of the Kindle version of Two Shadows to only $2.99. Here's the link to the Kindle book on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044KM0GO

Enjoy!
The Winger Bookstore
Highpoint Adventures

Postby lydiah » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:28 am

winglady wrote:We're having a special Kindle sale for Two Shadows - the inspirational story of one man's triumph over adversity.

From now through World Book Day -- March 3, 2011 -- we've reduced the price of the Kindle version of Two Shadows to only $2.99. Here's the link to the Kindle book on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044KM0GO

Enjoy!

Just downloaded it! THANK YOU!! I'm excited to read it! :)
Live, Laugh, Love

Postby gonzalj » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:47 am

Thanks for the great suggestion everyone. I'm in the middle of reading Eiger dreams, so this will be nice after I'm finished with that one.

Next