Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Warnings for newbies, from a newbie's eye

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Warnings for newbies, from a newbie's eye

Postby JA_son27 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:26 am

raayna wrote:My heart was pounding, working like it hadn't in years.

Richard.

Your heart is like any other muscle in your body, with a little training your heart won't be angry with you on these hikes. Just bust a little more butt in the gym now to be prepared for a fun time in on LaPlata. I trained hard for a year before my first attempt and it was still a very intense experience, but it makes the summit all the more special and rewarding! Be safe and climb on!
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Postby tmathews » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Maximillion wrote:
tmathews wrote:Loved The Black Hole, btw. :mrgreen:

Yeh, just watched it again a few weeks ago. I watch it every year or two. I hear a remake may come out in 2011 or 2012!

Argh, that's a classic not to be messed with. I remember how sad I was when Old Bob died, LOL.

Postby Maximillion » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:06 pm

tmathews wrote:
Maximillion wrote:
tmathews wrote:Loved The Black Hole, btw. :mrgreen:

Yeh, just watched it again a few weeks ago. I watch it every year or two. I hear a remake may come out in 2011 or 2012!

Argh, that's a classic not to be messed with. I remember how sad I was when Old Bob died, LOL.

Yeh, there's different opinions on it. Some liked those parts. My stance is that is that it should be remade into strictly an adult sci-fi movie, as it should have been originally. But it was Disneys first crack at Sci-fi. Bob was clearly an attempt to copy R2-D2 from Star Wars and I thought that part came off badly. Trying to make the movie "PG" for kids was the downfall of the movie, along with a few space blunders that today's audience wouldn't tolerate (such as people in space with no suits, etc.). Overall still very good and one of my all time favorites obviously. The special effects were excellent for 1979. The artistic rendering of the Cygnus, the black hole etc, really captures one's imagination and sets the stage for the eerie plot. The remake could explore the ending a little more (the end is very controversial too).

Postby tmathews » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:28 pm

LOL, sorry for the thread hijack. I'm done, now. :oops:

Postby Maximillion » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:33 pm

tmathews wrote:LOL, sorry for the thread hijack. I'm done, now. :oops:

Me too, sorry!

Postby tmathews » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:52 pm

See, all gone!

Postby upndown » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:15 pm

Wesley wrote:The Baron stopped posting as soon as the cloak of anonymity was removed. Sure he brought a welcomed wealth of climbing knowledge, but it seems like a pretty cowardly move to me.
I must have missed something. The Baron's real identity is known? What thread was that revealed in?
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.

Postby 1203ecc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:50 am

Wow. Viscious thread. Enjoyed the informative parts, but not the mudslinging.

Postby Bacchus » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:21 pm

FCSquid wrote:It's not just the newbies who can get in trouble. I've climbed my share of 14ers, including some of the scary ones, and that can lull you into a false sense of empowerment. I made the mistake of trying to climb Shav / Tab on too little sleep with too few calories in me and had a miserable time on both summits. I consider myself to be in pretty decent shape and thought I could just 'power through' my discomfort and weakness.

Lesson learned: When the gas tank is on 'E', it's on 'E', and no amount of experience or will power is gonna change that fact. Give the machine adequate rest and fuel before tackling any of these peaks, even 'easy' ones like Shavano and Tabeguache. Nobody is immune to getting into trouble up there.

Don't forget about water. I've always drank atleast a liter before bed (not to mention getting really hydrated days before) and I carry minimum 3 liters of water with Nuun tablets or Camelbak Elixir electrolyte tablets. You can never be too careful with water. Carry a water filer too on extended hikes, you never know.
"You go down the mountain on a full heart." gentleman from Tennessee
Rockchalk Jayhawk...Go KU

Postby Bacchus » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:36 pm

kansas wrote:
bif wrote:All these mountains are dangerous. That is why we do it.

Umm...no and no.
Sometimes the problem is dangerous people on a mountain...not people on a dangerous mountain.

+1 I've watched people sitting on a summit drinking from a bottle of vodka :shock: I don't think it was from a cool mountain stream. I've always though majority of people climb for the enlightenment, serenity, and exhilaration... am i weird for believing that.

Postby Bacchus » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:00 am

Maximillion wrote:
tmathews wrote:LOL, sorry for the thread hijack. I'm done, now. :oops:

Me too, sorry!

](*,) yeah how the hell did we go from newbs to The Black hole and Star Wars ( excellent movies btw), I missed that jump somehow.

Postby speth » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:08 am

Bacchus wrote:
kansas wrote:
bif wrote:All these mountains are dangerous. That is why we do it.

Umm...no and no.
Sometimes the problem is dangerous people on a mountain...not people on a dangerous mountain.

+1 I've watched people sitting on a summit drinking from a bottle of vodka :shock: I don't think it was from a cool mountain stream. I've always though majority of people climb for the enlightenment, serenity, exhilaration, and fun... am i weird for believing that.

Fixed. :wink:
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

PreviousNext