Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Warnings for newbies, from a newbie's eye

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Warnings for newbies, from a newbie's eye

Postby George James » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Rich H wrote:ah figured...was going to remember the 5th of november but then i forgot.

It's actually the 3rd of December, so you didn't miss it after all.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby Rich H » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:32 pm

George James wrote:It's actually the 3rd of December, so you didn't miss it after all.

the gunpowder plot
The plan was to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of Parliament on 5 November 1605
"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:34 pm

Rich H wrote:
George James wrote:It's actually the 3rd of December, so you didn't miss it after all.

the gunpowder plot
The plan was to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of Parliament on 5 November 1605

Yes, but the big Guy Fawkes plot here was on December 3rd.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Rich H » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:35 pm

i see - will try to remember it then too.
"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."

Postby Skip Perkins » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:39 pm

WE could use the Baron on this thread, Reverso or Guide ATC, Superdry Ropes, Lost Pack, renaming Kit Carson and many more. We need the Baron back and if he can't afford to come back I'll be the first to contribute to his return.
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.

Postby Presto » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:47 pm

by Skip Perkins » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:39 pm
WE could use the Baron on this thread, Reverso or Guide ATC, Superdry Ropes, Lost Pack, renaming Kit Carson and many more. We need the Baron back and if he can't afford to come back I'll be the first to contribute to his return.

+1 ... maybe he'd come back as an early Christmas gift to all of us who appreciated what he brought "to the table" so to speak. [-o< :-$
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Carl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:34 pm

The Baron stopped posting as soon as the cloak of anonymity was removed. Sure he brought a welcomed wealth of climbing knowledge, but it seems like a pretty cowardly move to me.

Postby Presto » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:40 pm

by Wesley » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:34 pm
... Sure he brought a welcomed wealth of climbing knowledge, but it seems like a pretty cowardly move to me.

Good move, Wesley ... maybe baiting him by shame will work. :wink:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Carl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Was it that obvious :lol:

Kinda like that time the Baron called me out for my sloppy photo-shop of him wearing a First Ascents down jacket, which btw is an incredible piece of gear made by what might be the single most innovative and forwarding thinking outdoor clothing company in recent memory.

Postby dave_navy_VA » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:14 pm

It's threads like this that really make me miss the Baron.

I might be good to expand your comment and place it in context for the OP. He essentially dropped trou and showed it all, including his climb plan and a realistic hot wash-up about his fitness level after he got down safely.

If it means the "Baron" whomever that is or was, would just pass the grim facts with some healthy sarcasm and suggest post mortem tech comments are overthinking that sounds fine. I hope it does not mean a guy like the OP can't share a few missteps or prep issues w/o feeling like an idiot. Of course there are always "Mr. Outside Mag" gear jockeys that quibble about future climbs or obsess about equipment w/o ever using it. I did not see that in this thread. Rather, it seemed pretty normal. Just an OP that had a scare, talked about it and was followed by some helpful and supporting comments.

Postby ThinAir » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:16 pm

I would like to hear more about the incident on the East Ridge of Quandary. Seems to me that would be a pretty unlikely place to fall off, even for a newb.
The map aint the territory

Postby highpilgrim » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:03 am

ThinAir wrote:I would like to hear more about the incident on the East Ridge of Quandary. Seems to me that would be a pretty unlikely place to fall off, even for a newb.

I don't think it said the east ridge is where the fall occurred. It said "fell 300' down a scree slope near the summit". There are dangerous scree slopes near the summit on the west ridge. East ridge. not so much. The Cristo drops off the east ridge almost directly from the summit and the area around it was pretty stable and not so much scree.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

PreviousNext