Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Warnings for newbies, from a newbie's eye

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Warnings for newbies, from a newbie's eye

Postby paul109876 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:03 am

To get back on track.....as far as the fitness level... make training a lifestyle not a specified period in time to get ready for 1 big event. Living in Indiana at a grand altitude of 800 ft. I stay on top of my cardio all year long and then change my strength training to more of an endurance training to strengthen muscles to go the long periods of climbing/hiking up and down.

But this does not substitue for acclimation: Once we arrive in Co. we sleep around 8000ft to 10,000 ft for a couple of days before hiking up to 14000ft.

As for the drama: perception is different to everyone. When adrenaline is rushing ( for good or bad reasons) the moment is etched hard into the brain.

And although I try to be a safe as possible when hiking, love the scenery, the smells the feel and sometimes the solitude there's the primal junkie in me that gets a fix because there is still that slight chance that something could go wrong. That edge that you know is there and hovers like a shadow that you caught in the corner of your eye but can never see directly.

And when the shadow lurks, you stop.....and rethink decisions you make. Turn left or right, foot here or there maybe 1 extra bottle of water.

I remember the 1st time my wife made the summit of Elbert she was at the pinnacle of life bursting with pride and confidence.
On the way down right before tree line a bad storm let loose, so she slipped and slid in the mud a few times coming down through the aspens. (I didn't know how much farther we had to go due to not carrying a GSP but knew once I saw the sign for the
Elbert/Co. Trail we would be close.)
Once I busted my ass in the mud my wife came unglued, " we're lost!!! We'll never get out!!! I can't do this!!! I'm out of water!!
I had to talk her down step by step for a while hanging on to the trees and staying on the green so she felt comfortable.
I explained she could drink the water coming out of the sky if need be.

once we got to the 4wd road the sky cleared.

To her, end of the world. To me an Indiana thunderstorm while standing on a big slide- perception

The End
Last edited by paul109876 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby KeithK » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:02 am

highpilgrim wrote:
ThinAir wrote:I would like to hear more about the incident on the East Ridge of Quandary. Seems to me that would be a pretty unlikely place to fall off, even for a newb.

I don't think it said the east ridge is where the fall occurred. It said "fell 300' down a scree slope near the summit". There are dangerous scree slopes near the summit on the west ridge. East ridge. not so much. The Cristo drops off the east ridge almost directly from the summit and the area around it was pretty stable and not so much scree.

I think this sign at the beginning of the East Ridge Trail says it all... this route is DANGEROUS!

sign.jpg
Beware!
sign.jpg (161.19 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Snow is dumb.™

Postby Mountain Ninja » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:26 am

KeithK wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:
ThinAir wrote:I would like to hear more about the incident on the East Ridge of Quandary. Seems to me that would be a pretty unlikely place to fall off, even for a newb.

I don't think it said the east ridge is where the fall occurred. It said "fell 300' down a scree slope near the summit". There are dangerous scree slopes near the summit on the west ridge. East ridge. not so much. The Cristo drops off the east ridge almost directly from the summit and the area around it was pretty stable and not so much scree.

I think this sign at the beginning of the East Ridge Trail says it all... this route is DANGEROUS!

sign.jpg

Lol.
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Previous