Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

train whistle

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

train whistle

Postby Rich H » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:16 pm

I was coming down off Hassell Pk yesterday at around 12;30 and heard a train whistle. I turned to my climbing partner and asked if he had heard that too and he had. It was strange only in that we couldn't place where the whistle would have originated from. Marked below on map
Attachments
train whistle.jpg
train whistle.jpg (192.61 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."

Re: train whistle

Postby Kojones » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Does Loveland blow a whistle for any reason? Restarting a chair lift, lunch time, 'everybody take a shot'?

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby rijaca » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Probably the Georgetown Loop RR. Too far away from the Moffat tunnel.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Mark A Steiner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:55 pm

Might help if it sounded like it came from a steam whistle or a diesel. There is (or was) a narrow-gauge diesel operating maintenance on the Georgetown Loop last time I took a ride (years ago). Then again, thought the season for the Loop RR would be finished by now.

Subject to the foregoing comment, rijaca's statement about the Moffat Tunnel (former D & RGWRR) main line running through the mountains between Fraser and Rollinsville and almost under James Peak, sounds reasonable.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby EvilMarmot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:07 pm

They have some kind of warning system for trucks that are too tall at the Eisenhower tunnel. Has anybody ever heard it?

http://www.coopsareopen.com/colorado-weigh-stations.html

"
The Eisenhower Memorial Tunnel sit's about halfway through the mountain range. This tunnel has a height limit of 13'6". That is the height most 18 wheelers are, but some are taller. Trucks taller than 13'6" must take route 6 and cross the Loveland Pass to go around the Eisenhower tunnel. The tunnel has a full time attendant in a booth on the eastbound side and on the westbound side. If an over-height truck approaches the bridge, it will set of sensors that hang over the roadway. The sensors will set off warning signs and eventually flashing lights and sirens to get the trucker to pull over into the inspection area. The attendant will run across the freeway (the booth is located in the center median) and use a height stick to measure height and determine if the trucker can continue through the tunnel or if he must turn around. In winter, many truckers will have snow and ice built up on their trucks and trailers that will set off the alarms. They either have to knock it off or turn around.
"

Postby Carl » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:12 pm

EvilMarmot wrote:They have some kind of warning system for trucks that are too tall at the Eisenhower tunnel. Has anybody ever heard it?

Yeah, definitely caught me off guard the first time I heard it at Loveland. Doesn't sound too much like a train whistle... maybe if you're far away it could.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:49 pm

The tunnel alarm was what I thought of also. I think it sounds like a siren on a fire house; you hear it all the time when you're skiing at Loveland.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Rich H » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:36 pm

I like the idea that it was the tunnel. I was thinking something at the Henderson Mine but it was distinctly trainlike...I don't know diesel from steam or anything about trains.

http://www.dieselairhorns.com/sounds.html

maybe the 4th one down...I emailed my climbing partner to find out which one he thought it was but he has no sound at work.
"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."

Postby zclobes » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Was there a pattern to the whistle that you can recall? I'm not sure of the protocol, but I believe trains blow particular combination of shorts and longs to indicate road crossings, etc.

Zack

Postby Sugar Madison » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Rich H wrote:I like the idea that it was the tunnel. I was thinking something at the Henderson Mine but it was distinctly trainlike...I don't know diesel from steam or anything about trains.

maybe the 4th one down...I emailed my climbing partner to find out which one he thought it was but he has no sound at work.

Might be on to something... maybe a blasting warning at the Henderson Mine?

http://www.usbr.gov/ssle/safety/RSHS/sec24.pdf
See Section 24.9.3

Postby ClimbandMine » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Sugar Madison wrote:
Rich H wrote:I like the idea that it was the tunnel. I was thinking something at the Henderson Mine but it was distinctly trainlike...I don't know diesel from steam or anything about trains.

Might be on to something... maybe a blasting warning at the Henderson Mine?

http://www.usbr.gov/ssle/safety/RSHS/sec24.pdf
See Section 24.9.3

Nope. Henderson blasts underground.
I don't care that you Tele.

Postby DaveLanders » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:23 pm

The Ute Peak quad shows train tracks connecting to the west end of the Henderson Tunnel, which is only a few miles
northwest of your location. If those tracks are still active, that might be a possibility.