Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Telling Tall Tales or the Fine Art of the Fish Story

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Telling Tall Tales or the Fine Art of the Fish Story

Postby kimo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:23 pm

JA_son27 wrote:What really throws me off is when someone tells me it took them X amount of time to summit when really it took them Y amount of time, I usually plan for people's embellishments though.

I learned early on that Dave Cooper moves a lot faster than I (maybe he just takes a lot fewer pics). When he says 6 hours in his CO scrambles book, I add at least 50% for my kind of adventure.

bjohnson17 wrote:Unless it's Parry Peak. :lol:

Poor Parry Peak, highest on the divide for miles and seen by thousands every day gets only 14 lines of text in Gerry's book. I don't think any other mountain in IPW suffers such a discarded fate. Even an obscure peak like Marten gets glowing love from the man.

Someday we'll have to get up there and see what Gerry isn't talking about. Might be a good winter trip.

Kiefer wrote:Well, hmmm....my cat's breath smells like cat food! :mrgreen:

Would that be salmon by any chance?

:mrgreen:

Doug Shaw wrote:Kimo, I wasn't (intentionally) calling you out. Although I will admit that your picture was one of the ones I recalled, there are certainly some other examples I've seen recently - there's a TR that shows a trekking pole buried in "18 inches" of snow, and a couple other comments along the same lines. My post was sort of amalgamated skewering of what I perceived to be a sort-of overall "fish story"... the snow was thiiiiis deep.

I recall the NWS point forecast for IPW said 1-3 inches on Sat, 3-5 inches that night, and 4-6 inches on Sunday. I was up there at 3 PM on Sunday and it is entirely possible that 14 inches of snow had fallen in the IPW above 12K. From the 4th of July mine the entire trail was drifted over from one to three feet deep. And today's big storm has added to that.

I'm not exactly sure why the IPW was called the Snowy Range back in the olden days, but I have my suspicions. The last remaining glaciers in CO are in the northern Front Range. And from what I experienced, there was more snow up in the IPW on Sunday than in the reports that I have seen from other areas.

shredthegnar10 wrote:Whenever I write TR's, I'm always unsure of stuff like this. If I make it sound like it was easy, then it comes across like I'm really arrogant, but if I make it sound like it was hard, then it comes across like I'm exaggerating my accomplishments.

Just be honest about how you felt during and after the climb. If it was the hardest thing you've ever accomplished don't hesitate to tell the story as you experienced it. Likewise, say if it was easy. The resulting report should leave no doubt in your mind that the story as you told it is exactly what you experienced. You were honest with yourself, and that is what matters.

huffy13 wrote:I really do try to be as honest as possible on my TRs. If the hike kicked my butt, (which all of them do) I convey that and I also try to be clear when I state an opinion, personal observation or any other variable. I will readily admit to being a SLOW hiker because I don't want to ever hike with any fellow members here that may have seen one of my TRs and them expect "Usain Bolt of the Rockies" and instead get the real deal, which is more snail-like. My experience and my observations on this site have been that no one will call you names or ridicule if it took you 14 hours to summit Mt. Sherman but the BS alarms will be sounded if someone claims to have done Longs Peak in 2! [-X Many people use this site and it's member's experiences and info to decide, plan and do these hikes....exagerrating one's accomplishments could lead a novice climber to make an ill-informed decision.

There are a couple references to time in this thread and in a recent poorly-received TR. Time appears to be the most exaggerated element of mountain climbing. Interesting, since it's probably the most measurable and objective datapoint we have.

Re: Telling Tall Tales or the Fine Art of the Fish Story

Postby huffy13 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:01 am

You are right, it is measurable and objective, but the climb times are going to vary greatly from hiker to hiker. For instance, it took me and the kids just shy of 3 hrs to summit Sherman from Iowa Gulch but I could see where a stronger hiker could make it in 1 hour. Heck, if my son wasn't having to wait for me he could have shaved a good hour off at least. I could even see Grays/Torreys entire standard round trip being finished in less than two hours by a good hiker, where I took somewhere close to 4 hrs. just to get both summits without the trip back. I remember a troll that was on the site about a year or so ago that posted something about bagging Mt. Rainier solo, not going through the proper channels for a permit, passing all kinds of guided groups and then had some insanely short RT time for it all. Got called out very quickly not only on his exaggerated time, but also many other imbellishments he had decided to put in there. I guess my point is this...I don't care what any court says, especially the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, I am going to try to be as honest as possible not only in my trip reports but in every aspect of my life. I hope most here on this site would agree this is important especially when putting info on the site that novice hikers may be using to plan their own trips.
Justice and fairness must have a foundation based in truth, how can there be any justice if lying is just another way of expressing your first amendment right and the facts of a matter don't matter? Sometimes these judges can be outright ridiculous in their rulings.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Previous