Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I am Alive: Nando Parrado's Story

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

I am Alive: Nando Parrado's Story

Postby SharonH » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:07 pm

On Wednesday, 20 October a new documentary entitled "I am Alive: Nando Parrado's Story" will air on the History Channel. Those of you familiar with the book and movie "Alive" will recognize Nando as one of the heroes of the story, climbing through the Andes to rescue the other survivors of the plane crash.

I was privileged to be on the trek to the crash site in Argentina when part of the filming took place (see my trip report from 24 August 2010 on this forum). Along with several other Colorado locals, I assisted the crew during filming in Colorado: several high-angle snow climb scenes were filmed in Colorado near a fourteener whose name I will not reveal--see if you can recognize it!

This should be an awesome film! See a clip at: www.iamalivethefilm.com

About the film
"On Friday, the 13th of October, 1972, a charter plane carrying 45 passengers, including a college rugby team, vanished over the desolate, snow-covered Andes Mountains. For 72 days, the world thought they were dead. But for 16 survivors, including 20 year-old Nando Parrado, what they experienced was worse than death.

Trapped in the sub-zero degree temperatures for over 72 days, the survivors faced circumstances that no human should ever have to endure. Fighting just to stay alive, hope was a cruel mirage in a landscape that offered nothing but despair and death. Against all odds one man led an expedition into the mountains in a desperate attempt to reach civilization. For the first time ever, the hero of Uruguayan Flight 571, Nando Parrado, tells his story in its entirety.

AMS Pictures is proud to present I Am Alive: Nando Parrado’s Story, a captivating documentary that for the first time ever comprehensively chronicles the tragedy of Uruguayan Flight 571 and its aftermath through the eyes of survivor and hero Nando Parrado. With never before seen footage, new revelations and experiences, AMS Pictures brings to the table an entirely new perspective on this story of bitter survival including startling new insights and facts about the crash, first-hand expert opinions on the story, and custom animations to bring Nando’s story to life.

Parrado, who lost his mother, sister, and scores of friends among the 29 victims of Uruguayan Flight 571, shares a complete, candid and unflinching account of the 72 days of suffering that followed the crash, including factors that led to his courageous decision to climb out of the mountains and—together with fellow survivor Roberto Canessa—save 15 others.

I Am Alive features startling details about the crash, the ensuing search efforts, and the group’s moment-by-moment struggle to survive, as well as rarely-seen re-mastered HD archival footage and photographs, period media coverage, and state-of-the-art computer animation that encompass Nando’s story."
Attachments
DSC_0442.jpg
Filming on location at the crash site
DSC_0442.jpg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 5679 times

Re: I am Alive: Nando Parrado's Story

Postby colorado yooper » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks for the link. Now to get the History Channel again.
To the High Crags!

Postby wooderson » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:28 pm

Sharon, thanks for the heads up on this film. Your original post about your trek to the crash site inspired me to read Parrado's book, which was excellent. This is truly one of the most powerful survival stories ever.

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:34 am

SharonH wrote:For the first time ever, the hero of Uruguayan Flight 571, Nando Parrado, tells his story in its entirety. AMS Pictures is proud to present I Am Alive: Nando Parrado’s Story, a captivating documentary that for the first time ever comprehensively chronicles the tragedy of Uruguayan Flight 571

Don't get me wrong, I AM looking forward to seeing this, I love adventure survival stories and this is one of the best ever. ........ However, no knocks on Nando, but rather the above promotion as Nando indeed has given numerous speech's over the years about his experience and written a very superb book "Miracle in the Andes" that covers the story in it's "entirety" that I'd recommend. And of course the story has also been "chronicled" in the more well known book and movie "Alive". So this is not the "first time ever" that this story has been told. Sorry, just had to rant.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:41 am

Wish I lived in CO wrote:Don't get me wrong, I AM looking forward to seeing this, I love adventure survival stories and this is one of the best ever. ........ However, no knocks on Nando, but rather the above promotion as Nando indeed has given numerous speech's over the years about his experience and written a very superb book "Miracle in the Andes" that covers the story in it's "entirety" that I'd recommend. And of course the story has also been "chronicled" in the more well known book and movie "Alive". So this is not the "first time ever" that this story has been told. Sorry, just had to rant.

Then there's the DVD, "Stranded: The Andes Survivors in their own Words," where many of the survivors share their personal accounts of the tragedy. It's sub-titled. I would recommend reading the book first, though; Parrado includes a lot of details that were left out in "Alive!"; "Stranded" humanizes the story.

This is probably my *second* favorite survival story, after Alfred Lansing's "Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage." If you read that book, you can follow it up with the documentary DVD, "The Endurance." I wish Ridley Scott would make a movie on that one. Russell Crowe could play Shackleton and they could both redeem themselves for getting our hopes up - and then dashing them - with "Robin Hood."

Postby SharonH » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:48 am

Survivor.jpg
Survivor.jpg (324.53 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
That part of my report was lifted from the AMS website, thus the quotation marks--you know those how those film companies are!

However, I think what they are trying to say is that the documentary will include information that was not included/mentioned in any of the books and movies. For instance, Nando's surviving sister and Pier Paul Read (the author of "Alive") are interviewed. They give different perspectives on the story.

Boulder-based mountain guide Ricardo Pena is also featured in the documentary. He shares his perspective as one who followed Parrado's and Canessa's escape route in the Andes and discusses just how hard the trek really was and the dangers involved.

There is also another book available in Spanish only called "La Sociedad de la Nieve," ("The Society of Snow"). Each of the survivors writes a chapter of how the experience still affects them. I am still trying to translate it--very slow going.

Susan: you should enjoy this "Survivor Smackdown" from Backpacker magazine where Shackleton beat out Nando as "history's true hard man." I would respectfully disagree as Shackleton was an explorer, was well equipped and he knew where he was...

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:27 pm

"Survivor Smackdown" I love it. Thx for posting.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby SharonH » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:44 pm

A few more behind the scenes photos of the documentary filming in Argentina
DSC_0201_2.jpg
Eduardo interviewing man who participated in 1972 search for plane
DSC_0201_2.jpg (37.78 KiB) Viewed 4710 times
Attachments
DSC_0349.jpg
Eduardo Strauch at the grave on the mountain
DSC_0349.jpg (33.96 KiB) Viewed 4652 times
DSC_0308.jpg
Site of the plane's tail section (under the snow in river)
DSC_0308.jpg (84.67 KiB) Viewed 4658 times

Postby SharonH » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 pm

69170_159143644106875_100000337223051_391184_5356769_s_2.jpg
69170_159143644106875_100000337223051_391184_5356769_s_2.jpg (6.97 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Behind the scenes picture from the film (courtesy of Ricardo Pena). The trees and ski lift will be edited out
Attachments
69802_159942044027035_100000337223051_394747_6581014_n.jpg
69802_159942044027035_100000337223051_394747_6581014_n.jpg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 4310 times

Postby SharonH » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:27 am

Tonight!
I have attached a few more pictures which I took during the filming in Colorado. Perhaps you will recognize the Colorado 14er and high pass in the film. Hint: at the pass, a backcountry skier was making tracks which needed to be edited out; at the 14er location, curious mountain goats kept wandering into camera range.
Attachments
DSC_0575_3.jpg
DSC_0575_3.jpg (55.37 KiB) Viewed 3828 times
DSC_0567_3.jpg
DSC_0567_3.jpg (63.43 KiB) Viewed 3824 times

Postby Richard Logan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:35 pm

It was the extraordinary story of the Andes plane crash survivors and especially the epic heroism of Nando Parrado (and Roberto Canessa), as told by Piers Paul Read in ALIVE (1974), that led me to specialize in the psychology of survival over thirty years ago. Since then I have read hundreds of accounts (and interviewed many survivors of all kinds of extreme ordeals), and written two books and several articles on the subject. I am a huge admirer of Shackleton (and others such as Douglas Mawson), but the survival trek of the inexperienced and already thoroughly debilitated kids Parrado and Canessa towers above them all when it comes to epic stories of the sheer will to live. Beyond this, it is also a story of love and selflessness. I have read and seen nearly all of the accounts of this story, and the recent one discussed in this thread is (along with Read's book) the best. As familiar as I am with this story and stories like it, I Am Alive is told beautifully and deeply moves me. By the way, I wrote the Foreword to Les Stroud's new book The Will to Live which also recounts this story. My latest work is the book Alone: Orphaned on the Ocean (Titletown, 2010). Richard D. Logan, PhD; docsafari@hotmail.com.

Postby HunkyDunk » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:39 pm

It was a wonderfully done documentary! I am glad I stayed up and watched it all the way thru till 1am. I missed the earlier telecast. But I thought it was very well done. And I agree that it was the most epic survival story ever!
I love to be in the mountain air, simply because I am happiest there!!,,,,www.ricksportraits.com

Next