Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

just a little bit of exposure

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

just a little bit of exposure

Postby nfire » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:16 pm

which 14ers.com badass is tough enough for this climb?

Sorry if this is an inappropriate forum but i thought it was cool and of interest to the folks here....

Re: just a little bit of exposure

Postby Neil » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:29 pm

That literally made my toes curl! I have no problem admitting that I could NEVER do that. Props to those guys!
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Postby mikemalick » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:44 pm

I don't know what they pay these people to do this, but whatever it is...it is NOT enough! Double...triple it! And how do you interview someone for this position? Throw them off a plane? The Empire State Building??

Postby tmasbc » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:12 pm

I feel vertigo just from watching the video. It's got to be scary and very hazardous to try to escape an electrical storm.

Postby Jesse Peterson » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:23 pm

That looks like fun. Where do I sign up?
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby somethingrandom » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:24 pm

nfire wrote:which 14ers.com badass is tough enough for this climb?

Sorry if this is an inappropriate forum but i thought it was cool and of interest to the folks here....

Not that I particularly want to claim "badass", but I would do it for giggles (they are strapped with a chute), and if they allowed me to use my chute for a quick decent, I would be more than happy to oblige!
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby BAUMGARA » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:31 pm

Damn!

Postby stonebaez » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:34 pm

I did this for a year as a structural engineer doing service work. It's all the same after 300-400 ft., except I am not nearly as dumb as this guy is to free climb it. They talk about how it slows you down, ha! I did an 800 ft tower with no death trap elevator and it probably would take 10 minutes longer to use your lanyards as you have to stop to rest anyway. I was always taught OSHA required at least one safety while climbing and two while stopped and working. As you can see by maintenance and construction tower workers, they are too macho to be safe and thus the year that I was a tower monkey it had the highest fatality per capita of any job in the states. If you want to see a real climber:

http://natgeotv.com/pt/alpinistas-de-primeira/videos/teaser2

I do have to say though, this makes rock climbing much less hairy when you can see solid rock in front of you with no sway and you know some drunk a**hole didn't build it!
Climb.

Postby zeroload » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Who ever produced that video should get fined! I am a structural engineer who also climbs towers and that was a prime example of how to NOT climb a tower. Free climbing in not allowed by OSHA.

However it was pretty awesome. Towers that high move quite a few feet at that height when you are on them. :)

Z

Postby CoulKurt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:50 am

Doesn't meet 3000 foot rule. Cant count it. Ha.
A little less conversation, a little more action. -Elvis

Postby Venture » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:27 am

F-That
You know, it don't matter how awesome of a climber you are, lanyards should be mandatory. You would think that all new towers have a faster, more advanced climbing safety system by now that allows for quick, flexible transitions. What if one of those pegs gives way? That's all it takes and you're toast. What good is all of your climbing skill then?

Postby huffy13 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:23 am

Venture wrote: What if one of those pegs gives way? That's all it takes and you're toast. What good is all of your climbing skill then?

True that! You better have great flying or levitation skills or even better, mad Jedi skills.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Next