Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are you superstitious?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Are you superstitious?

Postby weissea » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:48 pm

14erFred wrote:Behavior is a superstition only if it's based on an irrational belief that the particular action actually prevents a bad outcome or causes a good outcome while climbing. Behavior is a ritual, in contrast, if it's simply a way of acting that's part of your climbing routine. How many climbers truly believe that their actions bring good luck or prevent bad luck, as opposed to acting as they do out of habit or routine? And if the former, by what mechanism(s) do such superstitions operate to change one's fate on the mountains? Just curious... :wink:

That's why is superstition, man. No rational justification - just a feeling. I'M A HUMAN BEING, NOT A MACHINE!!!!!
In the words of Jean-Paul Sarte 'Aurevoir Gophere'

Postby 14erFred » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:38 pm

weissea wrote:
14erFred wrote:Behavior is a superstition only if it's based on an irrational belief that the particular action actually prevents a bad outcome or causes a good outcome while climbing. Behavior is a ritual, in contrast, if it's simply a way of acting that's part of your climbing routine. How many climbers truly believe that their actions bring good luck or prevent bad luck, as opposed to acting as they do out of habit or routine? And if the former, by what mechanism(s) do such superstitions operate to change one's fate on the mountains? Just curious... :wink:

That's why is superstition, man. No rational justification - just a feeling. I'M A HUMAN BEING, NOT A MACHINE!!!!!

Yes, I understand and agree with what you’re saying. Our superstitions tend to persist, even if we know our beliefs have no rational basis, because we are human beings and not machines. However, some people realize that their superstitious behavior is irrational, whereas other people erroneously believe their superstitions are actually rational and that their actions really DO change their fate. You can engage in superstitious behavior knowing full well that it’s irrational, because the behavior makes you feel good. Or you can engage in superstitious behavior because you incorrectly believe it actually does make you safer. How many of us recognize the irrationality of our superstitions, and how many of us really believe our superstitions aren’t irrational? (In either case, we’re all human beings and not machines.)

Superstitions are dangerous if we truly believe they make us safer and therefore don’t take the precautions we would otherwise.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby winmag4582001 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:45 pm

I never clip my toenails on sunday.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby paully » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:50 pm

I always drink beer the night before a climb - helps me get to bed early
I don't eat Taco Bell the night before a climb (or before the climb on the day of)
I leave early to avoid storms

Not very ritualistic (except maybe the beer) but all valid - I also try to haul at least one summit beer up, though that doesn't always happen...

Previous