Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are you superstitious?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Are you superstitious?

Postby Ned-man » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:05 am

Presto wrote: I'm curious if anyone has some sort of "ritual" or "habit" that they follow in order to "help" ensure a successful summit (in their mind, of course). :wink: Maybe wearing a particular shirt, eating a certain thing for breakfast, etc. ... I think you get my drift. . :-"

I go & climb right to the highest point on the mountain and it seems to work great!
Seriously though, my biggest thing is to avoid too much Mexican food & beer the night before;
and always go solo, nothing slows me down like company, or talking too much.

Postby Rich H » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:12 am

I never speak poorly of the mountain I am climbing...that is bad mojo - and if anyone I am climbing with does I either have to sacrifice a small animal or turn around and go down.

If I see a raven or crow I consider it good luck...same goes for goats - and if I see goat fur I will follow that path. That got me through the apostles this year going between Ice and West.

Always spit out the seeds of berries and don't step on flowers or you will get smited.
"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."

Postby Presto » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:21 am

by George James » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:36 pm
Never talk to the pitcher while he's got a no hitter going though.
Nice use of 'Mets' and 'playoffs.' Very clever getting those two words into the same sentence.

:lol: Yeah, well don't worry, it ain't happening this year! :? I must say, though, that was the most consecutive nights of eating chili dogs that I have ever had in my life. (too bad it didn't work ](*,) ).

by coloradokevin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:42 pm
Personally, I think I'd be far more interesting if I went with something like this:

I arrive at the trailhead around noon, wait for the clouds to build, and then exit my vehicle wearing nothing but flip flops and a Speedo. Then I fire my gun into the air at least four times while letting my dog run in circles chasing the wildlife. Once my dog poops on the trail, I start climbing while looking for the sacrificial mountain goat that I must slaughter before reaching a summit.

=D> Great post!

by Rich H » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:12 am
If I see a raven or crow I consider it good luck...

It's odd you say that Rich H, as I tend to believe that too (maybe I am a bit "superstitious" after all). My husband and I both comment to each other, generally above treeline, when we see a raven or a crow as to how "now, we'll have a successful summit". :D Heck, those birds hang out around summits and ridges all the time catching updrafts and the like.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Tory Wells » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:57 am

Rich H wrote:If I see a raven or crow I consider it good luck...same goes for goats - and if I see goat fur I will follow that path. That got me through the apostles this year going between Ice and West.

I've always seen Stellar's Jays as an omen of good luck...they are so pretty and are denizens of the high places. I feel as though the mountain has given me it's stamp of approval when I see one.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby skiwall » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:03 am

lanternerouge08 wrote:I've always seen Stellar's Jays as an omen of good luck...they are so pretty and are denizens of the high places. I feel as though the mountain has given me it's stamp of approval when I see one.

Oh me, too... Going up to ski Castle and Conundrum, one followed me through the trees for nearly a mile, and it made me feel that way. :D
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby altidude » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:13 am

tmathews wrote:
Bill Cummings wrote:Never EVER talk about how good the weather is looking

Ah, yes. The jinx factor. I guess this is a big one for me as well.

I never say how good the weather is, quite the opposite. If the weather really is nice, I always talk about how nasty it is out. I use my reverse psychology skillz on the Mountain Gods :wink: . It has worked out surprisingly well, when it doesn't I can always say, "Told ya so!."
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana

Postby pocketmaces » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:52 am

Have to play Jonny Cash, “Burning Ring of Fire” at the TH. I also do that before each snowboarding trip too.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:39 pm

TomPierce wrote:I never use another climber's figure-8 knot when I rope up . By that I mean if we're top roping or sport climbing and someone unties and hands me the rope, I never use the existing "8" in the rope, even though I can see it's perfectly fine. I always fully untie a rope before I tie into it. Pure superstition.
-Tom

Me, too, but I'm more covert about it. I just use a bolin with a half fisherman's back-up. :lol:

Postby weissea » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:40 am

Pack the night before, then repack everything in the morning.

Flask of whiskey in the pack (usually beam, but sometimes a nice blended scotch). Pour some out on the summit and take a sip (in that order).

Creedence at the truck upon return (always start off with "Lodi") .

A bowl of Green Chile at Kermit's on the way home.

...and you don't leave the table when you're on a heater.
In the words of Jean-Paul Sarte 'Aurevoir Gophere'

Postby darkhelmet1983 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Not so much in fact my bro and i climbed loft route on longs Friday Aug 13. With the all the accidents this year that would be really brave or stupid of us if we believed in that superstition. We summited in good time and with had the best climbing weather of our trip...not a cloud in the sky until mid afternoon. It was kinda windy though. I did wear (intentionally and maybe a little superstitiously) several articles of clothing and gear which have lots of climbing significance to me though including a previous longs summit from the keyhole. Been a really bad year for accidents on Longs though.

Postby 14erFred » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Behavior is a superstition only if it's based on an irrational belief that the particular action actually prevents a bad outcome or causes a good outcome while climbing. Behavior is a ritual, in contrast, if it's simply a way of acting that's part of your climbing routine. How many climbers truly believe that their actions bring good luck or prevent bad luck, as opposed to acting as they do out of habit or routine? And if the former, by what mechanism(s) do such superstitions operate to change one's fate on the mountains? Just curious... :wink:
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby WI Lou » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Always have the same breakfast - oatmeal with dried apricots, walnuts, chopped dates, cinnamon, ginger. Always wear the same baseball hat from the Pioneer Inn in Nederland - a gift from my friend Steve that worked there.
Whatever your endeavor or dream, pursue it with determination, imagination, a positive attitude, a sense of wonder....with the heart of an explorer.

Michael Cohen at the conclusion of the Bancroft/Arnesen expedition

PreviousNext