Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are you superstitious?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Are you superstitious?

Postby PatsSox09 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:34 pm

tdon25 wrote:I never - ever - take a picture of the mountain on the way up. Pics of the route, my partners, wildlife, etc...sure. But not specifically the peak itself. Always seems presumptous and arrogant, like I'm assuming I'm going to make it. Never anger the mountain gods.

As a side note - every time I hear or read somebody saying "Yeah, I bagged that bad boy" or "I conquered the mountain today" I just cringe and wait for the thunderclap.

In the same vein, I never say I'm going to "do" or "bag" a peak beforehand. I always say I'm going to "try" or "attempt" it.

Postby wooderson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:37 pm

Presto wrote: I see where you're going with this, Bill ... it's sort of like when it's sunny out, so you put on sunscreen, and then it clouds up. :-s

Or putting on rain gear. If you put it on, it's bound to stop raining within five seconds of putting that hood on. But wait to see if it lets up, and you end up getting soaked.

I've had the same experience with questionable roads in my Civic... if you decide not to risk it, you inevitably discover that you could have easily driven another 3 miles. Start driving up, and you wind up on a rutted, rock-strewn shelf road with nowhere to turn around... on private property.

Postby tdon25 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:40 pm

PatsSox09 wrote:In the same vein, I never say I'm going to "do" or "bag" a peak beforehand. I always say I'm going to "try" or "attempt" it.

Oh, yeah...absolutely! I take *great* pains to use the same verbiage before a climb.

And yeah, I def avoid remarking on how nice the weather is on the way up also.

Funny stuff!

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:46 pm

I always leave an offering of nuts on the summit for the marmot gods.
And I always have a flask of schnapps, but that's not really a superstition because if I ever get hurt I'll need it.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby Eaglevu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:32 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:I always leave an offering of nuts on the summit for the marmot gods.
And I always have a flask of schnapps, but that's not really a superstition because if I ever get hurt I'll need it.

You can have your schnapps, I will have my single-malt scotch.
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)

Postby jaymz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Eaglevu wrote:You can have your schnapps, I will have my single-malt scotch.

+1. A beautiful thing:
Attachments
Macallan%2018.gif
Macallan%2018.gif (131.24 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

Postby George James » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:36 pm

When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer! Superstition ain't the way.
Never talk to the pitcher while he's got a no hitter going though.

Nice use of 'Mets' and 'playoffs.' Very clever getting those two words into the same sentence. O:)
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby shredthegnar10 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:13 pm

I have a bandana that I bring with me on most of my hikes. I don't usually wear it, often it just stays in my pack. Not a bad thing to have along though, considering that there is a plethora of emergency uses for something like that.
There's a fine line between being a badass and being a dumbass.

ACONCAGUA STYLE

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:03 pm

shredthegnar10 wrote:I have a bandana that I bring with me on most of my hikes. I don't usually wear it, often it just stays in my pack. Not a bad thing to have along though, considering that there is a plethora of emergency uses for something like that.

I'm going to have to try that. It seems like every time I go out I find myself suddenly having to rob a stagecoach!

Postby coloradokevin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Hmmm...

I'm not a very superstitious person. But, for me I guess I'm a bit picky about my diet the day before a climb (this is part science and part voodoo in my mind). I almost always eat a box of Annie's Mac n Cheese the night before a climb, and I never drink any alcohol the day before a climb. I also usually have a homemade breakfast burrito and smoothie the day of a climb. I guess this is more of a pattern than a superstition, but it worked well on a climb some years ago, so I keep doing it every time I climb now (which is where the superstitious side of things comes in.

Personally, I think I'd be far more interesting if I went with something like this:

I arrive at the trailhead around noon, wait for the clouds to build, and then exit my vehicle wearing nothing but flip flops and a Speedo. Then I fire my gun into the air at least four times while letting my dog run in circles chasing the wildlife. Once my dog poops on the trail, I start climbing while looking for the sacrificial mountain goat that I must slaughter before reaching a summit.

Postby somethingrandom » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 pm

lanternerouge08 wrote:I like to contribute a rock to every cairn I pass for some sort of good mojo reason...like I'm appeasing the mountain gods or the mountain itself.

On a side note, I like to think that mountains have distinct personalities. I tend to think that Longs Peak is a very grumpy old man that does not like to be summited. Holy Cross is a dainty woman (very pious, of course) with a mood disorder....don't catch her on a bad day! [-X

1. I do the same.
2. I too think they have their personalities though my 14er experience is limited, my 13er experience is not and a lot have their own "dont f with me" mantra. Others certainly have the "Im not wearing panties" mantra. Definitely depends on the day.

My funny superstition is my stupid black summit hat. While it may serve its purpose keeping the beating sun off my face/neck, those who climb with me laugh the first mile up every route.
See if I can make a trip report sometime in the next few weeks to show everyone.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby shredthegnar10 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:
shredthegnar10 wrote:I have a bandana that I bring with me on most of my hikes. I don't usually wear it, often it just stays in my pack. Not a bad thing to have along though, considering that there is a plethora of emergency uses for something like that.

I'm going to have to try that. It seems like every time I go out I find myself suddenly having to rob a stagecoach!

Lol, I was thinking more along the lines of using it to make a splint for a sprain/fracture...
There's a fine line between being a badass and being a dumbass.

ACONCAGUA STYLE

PreviousNext