Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are you superstitious?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Are you superstitious?

Postby tmathews » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:33 am

Mooney Pilot wrote:I would never even think about going on a hike without wearing my Superman underwear.

Are they Underoos? :-k

Postby dubsho3000 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:40 am

lanternerouge08 wrote:I like to contribute a rock to every cairn I pass for some sort of good mojo reason...like I'm appeasing the mountain gods or the mountain itself.

On a side note, I like to think that mountains have distinct personalities. I tend to think that Longs Peak is a very grumpy old man that does not like to be summited. Holy Cross is a dainty woman (very pious, of course) with a mood disorder....don't catch her on a bad day! [-X

Good luck if you ever do Maroon Peak - you could spend a lifetime adding to each cairn on that peak!

Postby kansas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:42 am

lanternerouge08 wrote:On a side note, I like to think that mountains have distinct personalities. I tend to think that Longs Peak is a very grumpy old man that does not like to be summited. Holy Cross is a dainty woman (very pious, of course) with a mood disorder....don't catch her on a bad day! [-X

And based on a recent trip report, Capitol is "easy"...
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby paul109876 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:43 am

I think it's bad luck to open up posts about superstition. :^o
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby covfrrider » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:24 am

kansas wrote:Silly, I know...but I wear the same blue T-shirt and black boxers on every difficult climb. I consider it my lucky outfit, and at this point I'm almost afraid to not wear them! The shirt is so worn out, its nearly transparent.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Too bad you don't wash them in between climbs! :lol:

Postby tdon25 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:51 am

I never - ever - take a picture of the mountain on the way up. Pics of the route, my partners, wildlife, etc...sure. But not specifically the peak itself. Always seems presumptous and arrogant, like I'm assuming I'm going to make it. Never anger the mountain gods.

As a side note - every time I hear or read somebody saying "Yeah, I bagged that bad boy" or "I conquered the mountain today" I just cringe and wait for the thunderclap.

Postby TomPierce » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:22 pm

I never use another climber's figure-8 knot when I rope up . By that I mean if we're top roping or sport climbing and someone unties and hands me the rope, I never use the existing "8" in the rope, even though I can see it's perfectly fine. I always fully untie a rope before I tie into it. Pure superstition.
-Tom
Last edited by TomPierce on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby skiwall » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:28 pm

I always make sure my underwear and my socks match if I'm doing a big winter day- going for a big line or something. I only have one winter outfit that totally matches, but I'll wear it, even if it's dirty (Isn't that what Febreeze is for?).
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby Eaglevu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 pm

No. But, I like to do things that might give me more luck, and safety. Knocking on wood, or walking around ladders usually doesn't make things worse. I like TomPierce's comment. That is, never take climbing gear from someone else AS IS. Use your own or retie it - and back it up with a safety knot.
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Never EVER talk about how good the weather is looking--that taunts the weather gods. (Don't anger the mountain gods?--ha! It's the weather gods you really need to worry about.)

On the same note, going out without good rain gear will bring a major monsoon on your head.
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang

Postby tmathews » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Bill Cummings wrote:Never EVER talk about how good the weather is looking

Ah, yes. The jinx factor. I guess this is a big one for me as well.

Postby Presto » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:06 pm

by Bill Cummings » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Never EVER talk about how good the weather is looking--that taunts the weather gods. (Don't anger the mountain gods?--ha! It's the weather gods you really need to worry about.)

On the same note, going out without good rain gear will bring a major monsoon on your head.

I see where you're going with this, Bill ... it's sort of like when it's sunny out, so you put on sunscreen, and then it clouds up. :-s
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

PreviousNext