Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are you superstitious?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Are you superstitious?

Postby Presto » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:43 am

It's Friday and this light-hearted (and scientifically unbased) topic came to me when I was reading another thread. I'm curious if anyone has some sort of "ritual" or "habit" that they follow in order to "help" ensure a successful summit (in their mind, of course). :wink: Maybe wearing a particular shirt, eating a certain thing for breakfast, etc. ... I think you get my drift. I, personally, do not; but, I will confess to eating many chili cheese hot dogs for dinner the last time the Mets made the playoffs :roll: (and we all know how that turned out). :-"
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Re: Are you superstitious?

Postby kansas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:53 am

Silly, I know...but I wear the same blue T-shirt and black boxers on every difficult climb. I consider it my lucky outfit, and at this point I'm almost afraid to not wear them! The shirt is so worn out, its nearly transparent.

Glad I'm not the only one!
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby Presto » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:56 am

:lol: You remind me of my husband. He has particular shirt that he only wears when we are doing something hairy, with exposure (and generally requiring a rope). It's the only time I see that shirt. :wink:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby tmathews » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:57 am

I sometimes do some unmentionable things. :-"

Postby Doctor No » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:07 am

I'm not super stitious, but I admit that I'm a little bit stitious.

Postby dubsho3000 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:18 am

I bring Dawson's book with me for each 14er despite the fact that I use a GPS and 14ers.com routes. I just like having it there in my car - it makes me feel good. And I get a laugh occassionally when I read his route descriptions (for instance, I like that he devoted one of the four paragraphs on N. Maroon to NOT painting rocks on the route - without that warning I would have definitely painted the rocks).

Postby tmathews » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:20 am

dubsho3000 wrote:(for instance, I like that he devoted one of the four paragraphs on N. Maroon to NOT painting rocks on the route - without that warning I would have definitely painted the rocks).

LOL :lol:

Postby Papillon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:33 am

I've been hesitant to switch from pants to shorts in the summer because I've had a pretty good run to date.

Regarding winter attempts, the Smiling Moose deli has been money for the night before feast.

Cairns: If I'm on a dicey route (one that I think is dicey) and I knock down a cairn pile, I'd probably turn tail and leave the mountain.

I almost hit a bobcat on US-285 last winter on a drive to the TH. I would've probably turned the car around if I hit the thing.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby hike_4ever » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:39 am

Yah, in a sense I believe the minute you underestimate the climb, is the minute you will be punished. --- I went to Huron for a friend of mine, thought it was just another walk up, especially I have been there before, yet the next morning we got on the wrong trail (to Ice Mtn), and wasn't able to realized it till the head lamp time was over...

Also, I secretly pray the night before the climb, and thank the Mtn/Pk for letting me on every time when I summit. --- The mountains humble me.

Postby WebFoot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:55 am

Beer.

Postby Tory Wells » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:13 am

I like to contribute a rock to every cairn I pass for some sort of good mojo reason...like I'm appeasing the mountain gods or the mountain itself.

On a side note, I like to think that mountains have distinct personalities. I tend to think that Longs Peak is a very grumpy old man that does not like to be summited. Holy Cross is a dainty woman (very pious, of course) with a mood disorder....don't catch her on a bad day! [-X
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Mooney Pilot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:26 am

I would never even think about going on a hike without wearing my Superman underwear.

Next