Forum

THANK YOU to all cairn builders and maintainers!

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: THANK YOU to all cairn builders and maintainers!

Postby tmathews » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Technically, if you're adhering to LNT principles, you shouldn't leave cairns....

BUT, that being said, I have appreciated seeing them on routes, myself. :mrgreen:

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm

tmathews wrote:Technically, if you're adhering to LNT principles, you shouldn't leave cairns....

BUT, that being said, I have appreciated seeing them on routes, myself. :mrgreen:

I think this aspect of LNT is a bit silly... Cairns have been used for thousands of years all over this round rock to mark paths. If I put a rock, which naturally occured at, or near, the location it rests as I pick it up or kick it, on another rock - what am I leaving behind? Likewise, if I am lazy-legging down from some summit and free some rocks as I stub them, do I need to replace them, lest I've distrupted the natural location of those rocks and left my mark on the trail?

Ahh, nice to vent. Terry didn't deserve any rath, but the principle of LNT needs some reason behind some of their philosophies. As for having cairns, I like to put my trust in them from time to time, and I'm thankful they are there - to confirm I'm not the first assenine individual that got where I currently stood - dumbfounded as to my next move. I wonder how old some of the cairns on some of the routes are? Could some of them be over 100 years old?
You've never really stopped even if you feel like you have.

Postby nomadelmundo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Yeah, I find it both good luck and a way to release occasional boredom on a easy summertime trail trying to add to every cairn on my pathway O:)
Maxmius - What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Postby climbing_rob » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:24 pm

I've done a complete 180 on these puppies; I used to think they were silly and mostly misleading, now they are a source of comfort on a lot of routes, taken with a grain of salt, of course. So I like to improve them as well nowadays, assuming I'm sure I'm on a viable route.

In case anyone's wondering where Cairns actually come from, we found out quite a few years ago; they are born in Canyonlands NP, on the Joint Trail; zillions of them. Here's proof:

http://homepage.mac.com/lyolacliff/.Pictures/Slide%20Shows/Public/Image-424AC16543EA11D8.jpg

Postby ketel1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Lily and Cairn2.JPG
Lily, for scale purposes, in front of The Cairn-West Spanish Peak 7-24-10
Lily and Cairn2.JPG (40.52 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
screefieldstevie wrote:
coloradokevin wrote:Rock cairns can be an extremely useful navigational aid in some places, but they are so grossly overused by some folks that they've become a bit of a nuisance on many trails. Simply put, a cairn isn't required every 5 feet on a 10ft wide trail, nor is it appropriate to build cairns to designate a bunch of social trails that are off-route. Sometimes I think tourists (or the uninitiated) see the cairns, then build more cairns just for fun.

But, again, they can be quite useful in certain terrain. The rule of thumb I've always heard about them is that you should just be able to see the cairn ahead of you and behind you from the cairn you are standing at. Oh, and they don't need to be 26' tall.

Prime example would be the talus field on the Southwest Approach to La Plata...........there were 4,000 cairns scattered all over that field, it was so overwhelming that I just said the hell with it and made my own route

Agreed. I just studied the pile and looked for a flattish line (that is a word, BTW). I was very proud of my choice, as it dumped me right where the trail over the top was located. But, I do love seeing them on occasion, when things are a bit more sketchy. However, the cairn on the saddle just below West Spanish Peak is a bit over-the-top, especially because the peak is RIGHTTHERE. But it did have a small built-in firepit!
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:38 pm

The WSP cairn is useful for finding the trail where it enters the trees on the way down, as I recall.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby ketel1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:10 pm

Jim Davies wrote:The WSP cairn is useful for finding the trail where it enters the trees on the way down, as I recall.

Not at all necessary. It is quite a wide and obvious trail. But it is monumental, that cairn, and almost in scale with the peak behind it.
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby semitrueskerm » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Which 14er holds the biggest cairn? So far, my vote goes to the one on the ridgeline heading up to Culebra...6-7 feet?

Postby The Android » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:24 pm

climbing_rob wrote:In case anyone's wondering where Cairns actually come from, we found out quite a few years ago; they are born in Canyonlands NP, on the Joint Trail; zillions of them. Here's proof:

I will agree with you on that! They spawn like orcs from Joint Trail.

Postby tmathews » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:31 pm

climbing_rob wrote:In case anyone's wondering where Cairns actually come from, we found out quite a few years ago; they are born in Canyonlands NP, on the Joint Trail; zillions of them. Here's proof:

http://homepage.mac.com/lyolacliff/.Pictures/Slide%20Shows/Public/Image-424AC16543EA11D8.jpg

I do believe that is the largest birth canal I've ever seen. :mrgreen:

Postby Mountainspirit » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:08 pm

tmathews wrote:I do believe that is the largest birth canal I've ever seen. :mrgreen:

Please pardon the observation (and briefly going off topic) . . . but tmathews, talkin' about birth canals in one thread, procreation in another? Anything you care to share? :D

I digress.

Back to Cairns.
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison

Postby tmathews » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Mountainspirit wrote:
tmathews wrote:I do believe that is the largest birth canal I've ever seen. :mrgreen:

Please pardon the observation (and briefly going off topic) . . . but tmathews, talkin' about birth canals in one thread, procreation in another? Anything you care to share? :D

I digress.

Back to Cairns.

There are no parallels to be drawn, here! :lol:

PreviousNext