Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Stock Dodge Ram on Lake Como

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Site Administrator

Re: Stock Dodge Ram on Lake Como

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Retarded. There's no way he got that thing up to the lake. Who would do that to a truck unless they really did steal it?!?

Let's see... wrong type of vehicle, no winch, small tires... what could go wrong?

Reminds me of the time I was ATVing up that road and got to Jaws 1 where I encountered a Land Rover hanging off the left side of the road and ready to roll down the mountain. They had tied a climbing rope to the passenger side and up to a tree. Brilliant! Not only that, but they left the vehicle and went up higher to camp, climb or who knows what. Well, I was barely able to get under that rope on my ATV. If I hadn't been able to, I would have cut it for sure. On my way down, I met them above the vehicle and reminded them that they are blocking a public road. :lol:

A Land Rover tied to the hill with a climbing rope... had to be seen to be believed!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:57 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote: A Land Rover tied to the hill with a climbing rope... had to be seen to be believed!

Pics? This, I gotta see.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Sorry, no pics. I've kicked myself several times for not digging out my camera that day. It was 2001 and I was shooting film so my camera was in my pack.

The vehicle was on the left side of Jaws 1. They had tried to put the driver side of the vehicle in the flat spot to the left of the rocks but the wheels must have started to slide off so they parked it and tied a rope to the other side. Crazy

Maybe the operator of that vehicle will see this and confess. That was a good one.

Postby tmathews » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Was the vehicle still there when you hiked back out? I assume not since you didn't mention it.

I made it up to a camping spot past Jaws 0.5 in July 2009. I have a Blazer, but it has skid plates and a winch. I'm glad I didn't go any further than that.

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:06 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:They had tied a climbing rope to the passenger side and up to a tree.

Just to nicely tie the threads together, I'll bet dollars to donuts this rope later ended up in the hourglass.

Postby tmathews » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:49 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Retarded.

Sarah Palin called, Bill. She wants to have a word with you! :mrgreen:

Postby Greenhouseguy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:42 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Retarded. There's no way he got that thing up to the lake. Who would do that to a truck unless they really did steal it?!?

Let's see... wrong type of vehicle, no winch, small tires... what could go wrong?

Reminds me of the time I was ATVing up that road and got to Jaws 1 where I encountered a Land Rover hanging off the left side of the road and ready to roll down the mountain. They had tied a climbing rope to the passenger side and up to a tree. Brilliant! Not only that, but they left the vehicle and went up higher to camp, climb or who knows what. Well, I was barely able to get under that rope on my ATV. If I hadn't been able to, I would have cut it for sure. On my way down, I met them above the vehicle and reminded them that they are blocking a public road. :lol:

A Land Rover tied to the hill with a climbing rope... had to be seen to be believed!

Ever see "The Gods Must be Crazy?" Some of the Land Rover scenes were hilarious:

"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby coloradokevin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:30 am

My definition of fun 4wd'ing definitely stops when damage starts. I have a stock cherokee, and I've been amazed at the places it can get to without dragging the bottom, or causing other damage. Nevertheless, I've never been one to push the limits in my vehicle, since it is used as a regular road vehicle most of the time.

I'd still have to say that my greatest (and perhaps dumbest) "off highway" accomplishment was to get a Hyundai Accent all the way to the Grays/Torreys TH back before they fixed that road (never scraped bottom even once). The Steven's Gulch Rd was always an easy Jeep road, but it sure wasn't Hyundai-rated back then (though I hear it has been greatly improved now)!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:54 am

tmathews wrote:

Yeah, she might be retarded, too. No hate email please. :)

Postby tmathews » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:04 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
tmathews wrote:

Yeah, she might be retarded, too. No hate email please. :)

LOL

Postby snowmanco » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:26 am

ROFL. Best thread in forevers.

Postby Presto » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:45 am

by Doug Shaw » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:06 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
They had tied a climbing rope to the passenger side and up to a tree.

Just to nicely tie the threads together, I'll bet dollars to donuts this rope later ended up in the hourglass.

=D>
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

PreviousNext