Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Stock Dodge Ram on Lake Como

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Stock Dodge Ram on Lake Como

Postby crossfitter » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:30 pm

I'll post this in my upcoming trip report, but thought it was incredible enough that it was worthy of it's own post. When hiking into Lake Como on Sunday the 18th, two locals came driving up in their stock Dodge Ram and offered to give us a lift. We jumped into the back expecting to go for a ride to Jaws 1, but these guys kept going. The driver, John, said that he has made it all the way to the lake before and would be trying to do it again. I wouldn't have believed it myself, but I filmed him doing Jaws 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7blflSWlTME

He gets stuck for a little bit at 1:20, but is freed again at 4:15. Not a whole lot happens during that time, since he gets out to add a few rocks under the tires. Skip ahead if you're attention span is short. He made it up to Jaws 2.5 but got stuck on a knot on a downed log. We spent a couple hours trying to free him, but eventually left to set up camp and he had to bivy in his truck. He probably could have gotten unstuck just fine, but wasn't carrying a jack or a winch (guess he should have been carrying the off-roading 10 essentials!) I have no doubt that he was good enough to reach the lake, I honestly thought he was going to pull it off but just got a little unlucky in that spot. So much for lake como being a tricked out jeep-only road!
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Re: Stock Dodge Ram on Lake Como

Postby ConPar » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:02 pm

:shock:

Postby Roald » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:22 pm

Impressive. I feel like a whimp now.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby Doug Shaw » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Just goes to show what you can do with some ground clearance and a complete disregard for the integrity of your vehicle. I'm not willing to judge based solely on this short clip whether he is a "great" driver, but he's certainly bold.

A good driver can get a mild vehicle to mind-boggling places. A bad driver can't get a mind-boggling vehicle to mild places.

Postby tragal » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Funny thing, I saw this same guy Monday morning in the exact same spot. He told us it was his first time trying in this stock vehicle but he had done it before in a rock crawler. He had a buddy coming up on a dirt bike with a come-a-long to get him out. An hour or so later and further down the road we ran into the dirt bike guy. We could hear him long before we saw him and about every couple minutes or so he was killing the bike. As he passed me on the road he hit a bit rock and almost wiped out. Granted I was impressed with how far up the road he got with his truck but to be honest, the whole thing screamed "rookies" to me.
"...life doesn't wave as its speeding by, you better grab on fast and hold on tight and don't ever forget to fight the good fight"

Postby BAUMGARA » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:49 pm

Damn you're up to 40 peaks now!!!

Postby CO Native » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Wow, the road pretty much goes completely around Jaws 1 now. He just drove below it instead of over it.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Iguru » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:47 am

Stacking rocks! That's cheating. I would never do that!!!
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby kc0hev » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:58 am

That is actually Jaws 1 where you started filming. The earlier obstacle is sometimes called Jaws 0.5

Postby devo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:50 am

Just a few observations. This isn't an example of a bold, great 4x4 driver, it's a video of an idiot! If you're a fairly competent driver you can make it to Jaws 1 (which is where this video is taken) in a stock pick-up and that's an excellent place to park. If you don't like your truck much you can continue and get stuck like this guy did and then the fun begins trying to get it out. This driver and truck set up like that was never going to make it to Lake Como. The road doesn't get really dicey until you get higher up. I've been up that road a couple of times and have followed the oil drippings of damaged vehicles and have seen crawlers roll and seen them slide off rocks to be caught by trees before rolling down a couple of hundred feet. You always see the pros going up this road in groups so that if they get in trouble they have the equipment to get out of it. Kind of like the commercials, please don't try this at home. Chris, What were you doing walking that road anyway? Your truck would have made it to the point where you started filming this.

Postby crossfitter » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:59 am

Pardon my error, we thought the first obstacle (Jaws .5) was Jaws 1 and counted off. I suppose he ended up getting stuck at Jaws 2, where the plaque is. I was driving a subaru at the time and didn't want to push my luck so I parked at the bottom of that steep, straight white-rock road though I'm not as confident as you I could have made it up to Jaws .5 in that truck. There was a Jeep Commander parked just before Jaws .5 with a nasty flat and it was a pretty rough ride even up to that point.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby devo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:24 am

I guess that's kind of my point. This is a nasty, nasty road and when I saw the video of someone doing IMHO something that is destined not to turn out very well I wanted to remind foks that if you don't have the proper equipment & experience another option is probably prudent. Kris, you'ver been busy! Looks like you have plenty of time to finish before the summer's over. Congrats!

Next