Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs, My first 14er

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Longs, My first 14er

Postby percious » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:50 pm

My first 14er was a doozy. Enjoy:

http://www.percious.com/hiking/HP/Color ... part2.html

(part 3 and possibly 4 (Elbert) to follow)

-percious

Postby paully » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:29 pm

Nice post. I enjoyed the trip report. Where ya from?

Postby percious » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:35 am

Thanks. All of us are from CT. Chad is living in FL right now. We are all flat landers, but we do get out to our "little" mountains up north from time to time.

Pound for pound, the Northeast Trails are more rugged, but we do not have the altitude to worry about. They don't cut a lot of switchbacks around here.

Long's was definitely an experience! I just finished writing the Elbert report, so as soon as I get the 100+ pictures sorted out ill get it up online.

-percious

Postby percious » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:35 am

Bump for:

Parts I and II have been updated with pictures from Erich's camera and the disposabales.

All the pictures have been updated throughout, so if you go back to the other sections, you can see a lot more pictures now. Probably added 300+ pictures.

http://www.percious.com/hiking/hp/colorado%202006/report/part2.html

teaser:

-percious

Postby percious » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:49 am

Postby Cornfed97 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:51 am

Funny....I dont remember the Homestrech being class 4. was it snowed over?

Postby percious » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:29 am

No snow. Perhaps it was class 3, but if you had to use hands to climb it and if you fell it would likely be fatal. For a flat lander like me it *felt* 4th class. Perception is reality, no?

-percious

Postby strat1080 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:38 am

Most of the Class 3 that I've seen is more like, use your hands if you want for comfort. With Class 4 you have no choice but to use your hands. Trust me, if thousands of unexperienced hikers can climb Longs Peak every year and not die, it doesn't have any Class 4 pitches or moves. I honestly can't really tell much of a difference between difficult Class 2 and 3. Wetterhorn to me is the only Class 3 that I've done that remotely resembles climbing. I was able to walk up and down the last pitch with minimal use of my hands. Kit Carson to me was rather easy and didn't really feel that I came across any Class 3 sections or pitches. I guess climbing Lindsey's NW Ridge route in icy conditions without crampons changed my definition of 14er difficulty. After doing that I've developed a sense of what is actually climbing and what is just simply scrambling with occasional use of hands. Climbing a 30' pitch of Class 4 in icy conditions with no rope or crampons is hairy to say the least. This was before I began using my head when making mountaineering decisions of course.

percious wrote:No snow. Perhaps it was class 3, but if you had to use hands to climb it and if you fell it would likely be fatal. For a flat lander like me it *felt* 4th class. Perception is reality, no?

-percious

Postby Bean » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:05 pm

percious wrote:Part III - Mount Elbert
http://www.percious.com/hiking/HP/Colorado%202006/report/part3.html

-percious
Why did you rope up on Elbert?

Postby guitmo223 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:37 pm

Next time, try MREs for your evening dinner - they might weigh a little more, but they're a heck of lot easier. You also don't have to worry about bringing cooking gear or washing pans; just some nasty plastic and aluminum wrappers you have to carry out.

And instead of spending precious time preparing meals, you can just mac out and appreciate the sunset (or snowstorm as the case may be).

And just out of curiosity, why did you rope up on Elbert?
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby XkyleX » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:08 am

After practicing some self-arrest with Ben, we were on our way. The snowfield was fairly shallow so I decided not to place any pickets, since there was a bit of run out, and I was sure that between Erich and I we could stop this wagon train if need be. The rope was a solidifying factor in our party, as we all had to move at the same pace. Chad stopped to adjust his crampons and I just stood with a grin on my face. We were here in CO doing what I had come to do. Snow climbing on a sunny warm day is just about my favourite thing to do. We all dismounted the snow slide, removing our crampons to move off to the next snowfield...

Seriously, I'm so lost!
Kill the doubt inside your head. We overcome. We push ahead. -Modern Life Is War

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
- 1 Corinthians 18

Postby Bean » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:22 pm

I bet if you hadn't wasted time with rope, axes, crampons, pickets, and whatever else you had on you, that extra hour you wanted wouldn't have been necessary. I was plunge stepping down those very same snow fields this october. If I had fallen, the snow was so soft I would've simply stopped.

Move quickly. If you have to lighten your load for that, then do so.

Next