Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Run off by a mountain goat?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Run off by a mountain goat?

Postby steelfrog » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:26 am

So, today we're on Sherman, about 100 yards from the summit, when we spot a couple of the white mountain goats with pointy horns. Just what I was hoping to see! One was much smaller, and the big one was molting/shedding. Anyway, the big one comes very deliberately down the trail to within D feet of me! At first I thought it was cool but then I though a Mexican standoff with a large wild creature was not cool.

Was he/she trying to run us off you think, or looking for food, or what?

Re: Run off by a mountain goat?

Postby Gabriel » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:54 am

They were waiting for your to wizz for the salt

Postby Yikes » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:52 pm

not sure how far "D" feet is, but i had an amazing one walk past me about 5 ft away on Columbia (brilliant white, no shedding). also had a few chase us off Maroon by kicking rocks down on us. they aint shy.

Postby Doctor No » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Yikes wrote:not sure how far "D" feet is

Roman numerals? \:D/

Postby rangerdrew » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:07 am

Last year we were up on Quandry parked at the dam heading up to the West Ridge. Clear across the open expanse we see an adult goat and a kid walking towards us. This goat charged at us continuously for 15 minutes. We ended up keeping the car between us and the goat, but it kept running around the car at us. We threw rocks near it, yelled, and tried all kinds of things to get it to go away. We had no food out. It just walked right up and started harassing us. Never had seen that before.
I don't commute by bicycle everyday out of goodwill for the environment. Although, it is a positive externality. ~rangerdrew

Postby Barry Vincent » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:26 am

I walked up to one on Quandary last week; about V feet away, stood there for a few minutes taking pics. I guess I was lucky he was in a good mood.

Postby TK » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:57 am

I ran into these guys at Summit Lake on my way up Evans last week. They are living proof that there is always a line at the ladies room.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/uphoto.php?pic=u342p14_100704114540.jpg&cpgm=uphotos&pictype=50&parmpeak=Mt.+Evans

The one I didn't get a picture of was the one inside the Summit Lake shelter. I walked in to look around and found a large goat between myself and the door. Good thing he ran off scared of my camera.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby Mark A Steiner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:48 pm

Pretty funny TK. Good timing. Not the first time a lady has "gotten my goat."
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Bacchus » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Gabriel wrote:They were waiting for your to wizz for the salt

I swear marmots are psychic, they come out of nowhere when i pee off trail. I'm not talking about just 1 but like 5+. so funny.
The goats at Evans might as well be part of a petting zoo. They really don't care how close you get.
"You go down the mountain on a full heart." gentleman from Tennessee
Rockchalk Jayhawk...Go KU