Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountain Lions

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Mountain Lions

Postby traderaaron » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:28 pm

Lao Shu wrote:What do you suppose is the minimum gun required to stop/kill an attacking lion?

I doubt you'd have time to draw and fire if a mt. lion was actually trying to kill you as prey, at least that's always been my assumption.

Postby highpilgrim » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:33 pm

traderaaron wrote: doubt you'd have time to draw and fire if a mt. lion was actually trying to kill you as prey, at least that's always been my assumption.

Not to mention that most people don't have the skill set to shoot and hit a running cat coming to eat them. :shock: Maybe bear spray would be a better option to chase off a cat that lets you see it approach.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Sugar Madison » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:38 pm

traderaaron wrote:
I doubt you'd have time to draw and fire if a mt. lion was actually trying to kill you as prey, at least that's always been my assumption.

Well...after watching a mountain lion chew on the neck of a deer (that was making no attempt to fight back) for several minutes...I'd say this is false, at least some of the time.

Postby mountainmicah83 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Lao Shu wrote:What do you suppose is the minimum gun required to stop/kill an attacking lion?

With their skin, I wouldn't even worry if just my .38 special would put them down. For good measure, might as well carry a .357 mag or a .45 if you are that worried about cats. It's the bears you have to worry about minimum calibur. I heard that with a .357 mag, you have more of a chance of breaking its neck with the force then puncturing their thick skull. You really would probably want a 50 cal if you wanted to be sure to put down a bear. Good thing bear's don't really just attack for no reason in Colorado very often. They just want your food and you are way more likely to have the odds of getting struck by lightning then getting attacked and killed by a bear.

Question is how much would it take to stop a human attacking you in the woods. Your chances are higher of that happening.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

On shooting lions....

Postby HowardC » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Not the same setting, but from this video and others, I'd guess lions are often tough to get down. Not a very sporting situation, but shows how tough the big cats can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuT6ZA846rw

Postby gurlyclimber » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:50 pm

They (mountain lions) are stalk and ambush predators so most people don't even see them coming.

My circumstance was extremely rare. They don't typically charge people. I believe he thought I was injured. When I got up and charged him aggressively I think I confused him. The lion charged again more aggressive this time. I would have had plenty of time to shoot and kill but again, most encounters do not happen like mine.
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby Okie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Range is important to consider. I figure the biggest cougar is probably no more than 14" thick.

Just my opinion. If I was hunting one then I'd want an exit wound for more bleed out. But. If I wanted to stop one close that was attacking I'd want something (especially in the handgun ballistics) with just shy of 14" of penetration so all of the energy would stay in the animal because any that exited would be waste.

Rifle:
Min .243 but I'd rather have an open sighted lever-action 30-30.

Pistol/Revolver:
Min .357 but I'd rather have a .45acp with laser sight.

Probably overall ... A 12 guage shotgun w/18" barrel and buckshot.

And if you aren't already proficient with a gun then your daddy didn't raise you right.

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Sorry but if we had cats like in that video here I would be spending more time at the baseball games.

Postby mattpayne11 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:23 pm

thunderinacircle wrote:^^ Yes they have a STRONG, horrid, musky smell that is quite distinct. Since moving to Boulder Canyon, I've had a few encounters in my yard. My neighbors ( we have a shared driveway over the creek ) had their large brown lab eaten last year by one. My landlord has informed me that 3 previous tenants have had their smaller dogs fall victim to them as well (over the course for a decade or so). Needless to say, when we pick up their scent on the wind, we head indoors. Most of my experience with them is from seeing their crap in the yard and/or the dogs freaking out, whining, and wanting to run inside every so often when I take them outdoors at night.

In summary, if you'd like to see one, send me a PM and you can bring a small, stupid dog ( ie chihuahua ) over to my house and leave it in the yard all night. Either watching from the house or roof, I can almost guarantee a sighting :lol: :twisted: Don't think you'll get your dog back though.

LOL classic ! Great post. I personally have never seen one and not sure I want to. I did see a moose this past weekend - that was really cool.

Postby gurlyclimber » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Were you by any chance off of 285 on the east side of Kenosha Pass summit when you saw the moose? There was on there and hordes of people taking photos. It was pretty cool.
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby LTbear » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:40 pm

thunderinacircle wrote:In summary, if you'd like to see one, send me a PM and you can bring a small, stupid dog ( ie chihuahua ) over to my house and leave it in the yard all night. Either watching from the house or roof, I can almost guarantee a sighting :lol: :twisted: Don't think you'll get your dog back though.

I could think of a few people I wouldn't mind leaving out in your yard all ngiht. :twisted:

I'd never be that cruel to a dog, however. :lol:

Postby jdorje » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm pretty sure you have a better chance of shooting yourself with any gun you're carrying than you are to save yourself from a mountain lion, even if you're an experienced gun user. Bear/pepper spray is safer but still not worth the weight. Mountain lions attack by stalking prey from behind and then sprinting, biting their victims in the back of the neck to sever the spinal cord in one bite; their closest living relatives are cheetahs that hunt similarly. They're extremely fast and supposedly 80% of their sprints result in a kill. They certainly can eat humans but we don't look like food so unless they're stupid (aka juveniles) or starving (rare in colorado, hence the lack of attacks) they'll just avoid adult humans. The point is if a lion is set on attacking you, you aren't likely to see it coming; most sightings are where the human startled the cat and aren't the same situation at all. Once you see it, simply standing tall and yelling loudly and waving any sticks you may have will surely be enough to drive it away. All of that is from what I've read about them; I've only seen one once at a distance though sightings are common just about everywhere in the mountains.

My opinion from what I've read and the anecdotes here is that the main worry with lions is children (anyone under 4 feet tall or so) or pets, which a lion is a lot more likely to confuse for food. If you're hiking with either one, keep a close eye - especially near sunrise and sunset. I'd figure it is safest to keep them in front of you, so any stalking cat would have to go through you to get to them.
-Jason Dorje Short

PreviousNext