Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountain Lions

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Mountain Lions

Postby planetmike » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:13 am

I was in Yosemite a few years back when I got out of my car going over sonora pass i think, and went for a hike on a trail I had read about. When out of no where a cougar blitzed right in front of me perpendicular to the trail at a full run I'd guess 10-12 feet right in front of me. I know it was a cougar even though I hardly got a look at it as it was hauling ass because it was smaller then the lions are, which I am very familiar with growing up in South Dakota. I nearly s**t my pants right there and instictivly grabed my knive and stood their in a dead sweat for a few minutes before I turned around. I doubt he even know I was their with the wind and the close proximity between it and I. Still when I arrived at my car and got the knive out of my hand it hurt the rest of the night and into the next day from me clinching it so tight. I have never been so scared in all my life. Nothing like thinking you are being hunted for about 45 minutes!
You never know unless you try it!

fvhayden

Postby fvhayden » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:17 am

planetmike wrote:I was in Yosemite a few years back when I got out of my car going over sonora pass i think, and went for a hike on a trail I had read about. When out of no where a cougar blitzed right in front of me perpendicular to the trail at a full run I'd guess 10-12 feet right in front of me. I know it was a cougar even though I hardly got a look at it as it was hauling ass because it was smaller then the lions are, which I am very familiar with growing up in South Dakota. I nearly s**t my pants right there and instictivly grabed my knive and stood their in a dead sweat for a few minutes before I turned around. I doubt he even know I was their with the wind and the close proximity between it and I. Still when I arrived at my car and got the knive out of my hand it hurt the rest of the night and into the next day from me clinching it so tight. I have never been so scared in all my life. Nothing like thinking you are being hunted for about 45 minutes!

You know that cougar and mountain lion are just different words for the same animal right?

Postby LTbear » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:24 am

fvhayden wrote:
planetmike wrote:I was in Yosemite a few years back when I got out of my car going over sonora pass i think, and went for a hike on a trail I had read about. When out of no where a cougar blitzed right in front of me perpendicular to the trail at a full run I'd guess 10-12 feet right in front of me. I know it was a cougar even though I hardly got a look at it as it was hauling ass because it was smaller then the lions are, which I am very familiar with growing up in South Dakota. I nearly s**t my pants right there and instictivly grabed my knive and stood their in a dead sweat for a few minutes before I turned around. I doubt he even know I was their with the wind and the close proximity between it and I. Still when I arrived at my car and got the knive out of my hand it hurt the rest of the night and into the next day from me clinching it so tight. I have never been so scared in all my life. Nothing like thinking you are being hunted for about 45 minutes!

You know that cougar and mountain lion are just different words for the same animal right?

Nonsense - I've never seen a lion, but I encounter cougars all the time! Why just the other night, up on Pearl St... :mrgreen:

Postby MountainSlayer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:25 am

StikMan wrote:
xujrbill wrote:What do you call a blind dinosaur?

Do-you-think-he-saurus.

What do you call a blind dinosaur's dog?

Do-you-think-he-saurus -Rex :)

Postby Sugar Madison » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:27 am

I've seen 5 of them in the last 4 years.

- Two in the Grand Canyon (one on the rim, one near Phantom Ranch)
- One in Downtown Boulder, 10pm, crossing 9th Street
- One in downtown Louisville, 9am on a week day
- One near Cottonwood Lake (near BV). 10:3pm, Memorial Day weekend of this year. This one was amazing... as we drove around the corner our headlights illuminated a lion dragging a (live) deer into the road and killing it. After a couple of moments, the car scared the lion off. We parked and turned off the lights to see if would come back for it's kill. After 5-10 min, the deer got up and hobbled, then ran off. We were certain it was dead, so it was quite a shock to see it run off.

Postby JE242 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:36 am

IMO, You are lucky.

Also, Lions are not as much stalkers as they are an ambush predator. That is not to say that they never follow you, but more often than not, they prefer to expend as little energy as possible when looking for dinner.

Postby planetmike » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:46 am

lynx kitty cat feline, pretty sure it was a lynx!
You never know unless you try it!

Postby gurlyclimber » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:49 am

My partner and I had to scare one away on a night ski below Bethoud. We literally had to charge back at him with skis in hand, ready for a fight. He wouldn't leave us alone. The ski out was creeeeepppppyyyy. As scary as the incident was, I'd welcome it again over and over. I'm very lucky. My eyes are always open.

I saw 2 bears (mama and her cub) last week and a moose yesterday. So yeah, definitely lucky.
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby JE242 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:18 pm

I have heard of few instances of cats messing with skiers in that area and Jones Pass, after dark and before sunrise. My hypothosis is that it has a lot to do with headlamps/flashlights. I know I have messed with house cats using a headlamp or laser-pointer, I think big kitty's would react similarly. ??

Postby gohigher861 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Yes, I had a close encounter with one on a solo mountain bike ride outside of Durango. I was near the end of my ride and moving fast downhill on a twisty single track when I saw something moving incredibly fast towards me at almost a 90 degree angle from my right. It took a second for my brain to run through the "what the hell was that" scenario as I immediately lost sight of it as I went into a turn. Dog? no. Coyote? no. MOUNTAIN LION!! S**t STOP! I came to a fast stop as the mtn. lion crossed the trail 30' in front of me in a full run. I watched it run, without making a sound, up the hill on the other side of the trail for about 5 seconds before it dissapeared. I don't know if it was aiming for me or I startled it or what. It was an amazing experience. I was on an endorphin rush for about 2 or 3 hours afterwards.

Postby gurlyclimber » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:54 pm

I know all about that rush. I was so excited that I only slept for 2 hours the night of. My partner E-mailed me the next morning and said the same thing. It's a pretty neat feeling.

Oh yeah, I was on Jones Pass. I forgot the name of the area in my initial post.
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby Lao Shu » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:16 pm

What do you suppose is the minimum gun required to stop/kill an attacking lion?

PreviousNext