Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountain Lions

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Mountain Lions

Postby LTbear » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Who's ever had an encounter or sighting?

Re: Mountain Lions

Postby JohnWilliams » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:03 pm

I've been in the mnts since I was mini, never seen one(but I'm sure they've seen me). I've even hunted them for two years now and have never seen one.
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins

Postby LTbear » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:14 pm

I would love to see one, for sure. I've seen tracks, but that's it.

The only time I felt I may have been close to one, I did a hike where sightings had been reported recently, though I thought nothing of it. At one point on the trail I ran into a strong, distinctive smell. It reminded me of something, took me back to my childhood somewhere, but I couldn't place it. On the way back I passed the area again. The smell was still there, though much less strong, and I tried to place it again. Eventually I realized the scent was reminding of the smell of the big cat cages at a zoo. Who knows.

I enjoy just knowing they're out there though, even if for no other reason than they scare the heck outta me.

Postby thunderinacircle » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:41 pm

^^ Yes they have a STRONG, horrid, musky smell that is quite distinct. Since moving to Boulder Canyon, I've had a few encounters in my yard. My neighbors ( we have a shared driveway over the creek ) had their large brown lab eaten last year by one. My landlord has informed me that 3 previous tenants have had their smaller dogs fall victim to them as well (over the course for a decade or so). Needless to say, when we pick up their scent on the wind, we head indoors. Most of my experience with them is from seeing their crap in the yard and/or the dogs freaking out, whining, and wanting to run inside every so often when I take them outdoors at night.

In summary, if you'd like to see one, send me a PM and you can bring a small, stupid dog ( ie chihuahua ) over to my house and leave it in the yard all night. Either watching from the house or roof, I can almost guarantee a sighting :lol: :twisted: Don't think you'll get your dog back though.
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.

Postby EmmaM » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:00 pm

thunderinacircle wrote:In summary, if you'd like to see one, send me a PM and you can bring a small, stupid dog ( ie chihuahua ) over to my house and leave it in the yard all night. Either watching from the house or roof, I can almost guarantee a sighting :lol: :twisted: Don't think you'll get your dog back though.

How horrid! That reminds me of the T-Rex goat feeding in Jurassic Park.

Postby xujrbill » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:18 pm

What do you call a blind dinosaur?
Go.
Had my one, only, and, hopefully, final encounter last June in the East side of the Weminuche. Hiked 7 miles in. Noticed bear scat, bear prints, cat prints, and no human footprints. Didn't think much of it. Next morning, we decided to hike out and the two of us were accompanied by an uninvited stalker following on a rock ledge above. Lots of deep throaty sounds and a nice stereotypical roar/growl which we knew was very uncharacteristic of mountain lions in attack. However, knowing we were most likely not on the menu, being able to FEEL the noise made by a Mtn Lion pissed about us infringing in its habitat kept our voices loud and hearts beating for several miles. We surmised it must have watched us and followed for a little over a mile. All we caught a glimpse of was the tail, while we were back to back on the trail yelling at the top of our lungs. Two males in their middle twenties behaving like that anywhere outside of a Medadeath concert is usually not acceptable. However, we wanted to be around for our mid thirties...
J

Postby Brian C » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:00 pm

EmmaM wrote:
thunderinacircle wrote:In summary, if you'd like to see one, send me a PM and you can bring a small, stupid dog ( ie chihuahua ) over to my house and leave it in the yard all night. Either watching from the house or roof, I can almost guarantee a sighting :lol: :twisted: Don't think you'll get your dog back though.

How horrid! That reminds me of the T-Rex goat feeding in Jurassic Park.

Haha!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby StikMan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:10 pm

xujrbill wrote:What do you call a blind dinosaur?

Do-you-think-he-saurus.

What do you call a blind dinosaur's dog?
"Long live living, if living can be this"
-The Cat Empire

Postby LTbear » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:56 am

xujrbill wrote:What do you call a blind dinosaur?
Go.
Had my one, only, and, hopefully, final encounter last June in the East side of the Weminuche. Hiked 7 miles in. Noticed bear scat, bear prints, cat prints, and no human footprints. Didn't think much of it. Next morning, we decided to hike out and the two of us were accompanied by an uninvited stalker following on a rock ledge above. Lots of deep throaty sounds and a nice stereotypical roar/growl which we knew was very uncharacteristic of mountain lions in attack. However, knowing we were most likely not on the menu, being able to FEEL the noise made by a Mtn Lion pissed about us infringing in its habitat kept our voices loud and hearts beating for several miles. We surmised it must have watched us and followed for a little over a mile. All we caught a glimpse of was the tail, while we were back to back on the trail yelling at the top of our lungs. Two males in their middle twenties behaving like that anywhere outside of a Medadeath concert is usually not acceptable. However, we wanted to be around for our mid thirties...
J

:shock:

That'd get my attention.

I knew a guy who worked in Glacier National Park experience something similar. Said he didn't see or hear anything but just couldn't shake the feeling he was being watched or followed. This continued for about a half hour. He finally reached an open field, stepping out of the forest. He looked back soon thereafter and saw two ears and one flick of a tail sitting at the edge of the clearing. Says he's never gotten back to a car faster.

Postby summit co kc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:06 am

I was within two feet of the only one I ever encountered. 2 am heading over hosier pass on my way to blanca. It ran down a hill into the road. I got on my brakes as hard as possible thinking a deer was running out in front of me, and had it stop right at my door. My passengers and I could not believe how big it was. We were all happy to see that from the tacoma instead of on the trail.

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:09 am

I guess I've linked this about 10 times now, why not one more time though:

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20986&p=249402#p249402
Last edited by Wish I lived in CO on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby madbuck » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 am

summit co kc wrote:I was within two feet of the only one I ever encountered. 2 am heading over hosier pass on my way to blanca. It ran down a hill into the road. I got on my brakes as hard as possible thinking a deer was running out in front of me, and had it stop right at my door. My passengers and I could not believe how big it was. We were all happy to see that from the tacoma instead of on the trail.

Similarly, driving across Utah ~2AM one February, saw one cross the interstate.
What really stuck out immediately was how purposeful and deliberate it moved, not nervous or tentative like a deer...We saw it from a distance, crossing the road, and then it turned up, trotted along the shoulder, and hopped over the guardrail as we passed it (in disbelief, but we had a clear, close view). It barely looked at the cars (us and one other vehicle in the vicinity) once it decided to cross, as if it figured out the traffic and went on its way.

That was completely unexpected, but I can't complain about being safe in a car during the sighting!

Next