Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Don't be a Hero

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Don't be a Hero

Postby tenpins » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:48 pm

interesting, so swiftwater rescue was not on scene? Was this a lawful order from a sheriff's deputy? Stranded implies stable. Its not hard to imagine this event now cascading into a more complex event through his actions.

Postby coloradokevin » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:49 am

I'll be interested in following this story. In all of my previous rafting experiences, rescue operations were pretty much assumed to be conducted solely by the members of your own group (mostly out of necessity). With that in mind I'd figure that a rafting guide might be naturally inclined to get involved in the situation, and would be reasonably capable of providing help to the victim. This seems to almost fall into the category of "self rescue".

Of course, the news usually doesn't tell the whole story, and I'd be curious to hear the story from the officer's point of view before passing judgment on the situation.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:57 am

tenpins wrote: Stranded implies stable. Its not hard to imagine this event now cascading into a more complex event through his actions.

As long as she was not injured, suffering from hypothermia, or in such an emotional state that she might put herself in harm's way. Guides are not all trained as first responders, but they are all trained in swimming Class 4/5 rapids. The article is not very detailed, so there's no way to tell if the guide did anything unsafe, or if he just hurt the sheriff's pride. My gut feeling is that he was dedicated to bringing back his client unharmed, and was doing everything in his power to make that happen.

That being said, if a client goes overboard, the guide has to buy beer for all the other guides in the company. I hope somebody buys some beer for Ryan Snodgrass, because his nerves must be shot.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby abrowland » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:16 am

Let me get this straight..according to the sheriff, "...he jumped in and swam over to the victim and jeopardized the rescue operation." Since when does reaching the victim equate to jeopardizing a rescue? Good for him to help a scared 13 year old kid. You now get arrested for that? Sounds to me like the on scene deputy didn't know what to do, and the guide did.

Postby bigmac » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:59 pm

once again... the government is helping out the common man...

Personally if I was in his shoes... I probably would have done the same thing, rather than wait for swift water...
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Sir Edmund Hillary

I Immediately regret this decision.

Postby MountainHiker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:08 pm

I thought we had a “Good Samaritan” law.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby jdegling » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:07 pm

:idea: This section of river is being overused, the rocks creating this dangerous turbulent water need to be crushed and/or removed. A fee station should be constructed at the port of entry, and brochures placed on the other side. A large structure will be necessary to keep the brochures dry. This will solve the problem and save/create green jobs in the process.
"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

Postby tenpins » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Sounds to me like the on scene deputy didn't know what to do, and the guide did.

really. what about prevention? why did the boat roll in the first place? Class V rapids are something you take a 13 year old into? And btw, he just swam to her. He didnt actually rescue her.

Postby ClimbandMine » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:48 pm

jdegling wrote::idea: This section of river is being overused, the rocks creating this dangerous turbulent water need to be crushed and/or removed. A fee station should be constructed at the port of entry, and brochures placed on the other side. A large structure will be necessary to keep the brochures dry. This will solve the problem and save/create green jobs in the process.

The point of rafting rapids is the rapids. Stick to nice, safe, bubble wrapped California. keep your fees there, while you are at it. :evil:
I don't care that you Tele.

Postby prone2jodl » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:08 pm

ClimbandMine wrote:
jdegling wrote::idea: This section of river is being overused, the rocks creating this dangerous turbulent water need to be crushed and/or removed. A fee station should be constructed at the port of entry, and brochures placed on the other side. A large structure will be necessary to keep the brochures dry. This will solve the problem and save/create green jobs in the process.

The point of rafting rapids is the rapids. Stick to nice, safe, bubble wrapped California. keep your fees there, while you are at it. :evil:

Methinks the first quote satirical. Next time use pink. The stand could sell Irish babies, too, in case the rafters get hungry. It would cut down on visitorship in the future.
Stünd ich, Natur, vor dir ein Mann allein,
Da wär's der Mühe wert, ein Mensch zu sein.

Postby madbuck » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:08 pm

ClimbandMine wrote:Stick to nice, safe, bubble wrapped California. keep your fees there, while you are at it. :evil:

Clear and obvious sarcasm from jdegling.
And California is still a large, fine state for adventure.

Postby elchivoloco » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:11 pm

When I read this I was thought, Ha! Funny joke. That comment is so over the top and stupid it's obviously sarcastic. It's funny and extra ironic since getting arrested for helping a girl in distress is over the top and unbelivable and stupid too. But wait a sec, you were joking, right?
The atmosphere is not a perfume, it has no taste of distillation, it is odorless. It is in my mouth forever, I am in love with it. I will go to the bank by the wood and become undisguised and naked, I am mad for it to be in contact with me. -Walt Whitman

Next