Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Marmot on Sanitas

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Marmot on Sanitas

Postby THuffman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:59 pm

I've been climbing Sanitas ridge route in Boulder for 11 years. I'm on this trail 100 to 150 times per year. Yesterday, about 1/3 of the way up, I heard the unmistakable sharp chirp of a marmot and there it was on a rock about 20 feet away. I'm estimating the elevation was a little over 6,000 ft. I've never seen one around here before. Are there any experts out there that can fill me in on a marmot habitats normal elevation?

Re: Marmot on Sanitas

Postby jf32 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:03 pm

http://wildlife.state.co.us/WildlifeSpecies/Profiles/Mammals/Marmot.htm

from the link: Range: Marmots are widespread in western North America. Marmots are associated with alpine meadows, but they actually live in suitable habitat down to the lower foothills.

no specific elevation umbers but it seems Mt Sanitas fits the lower foothills description - something may be making it more suitable now than in years past
When you come to a fork in the road take it

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:44 pm

That was most likely a scout marmot sent down in preparation for the imminent Great Marmot Invasion of the lowlands. I hope something ate or at least punted him back up where he we belongs, otherwise we're all screwed.

Be. Very. Afraid.
Expect to go the wrong way some of the time. -- Gerry Roach

Postby hatidua » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:43 pm

I go over Sanitas 4-5 times a week and have yet to encounter a marmot. This gives me hope though :D