Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Canadian Outhouse "Monster"

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

The Canadian Outhouse "Monster"

Postby walkurtalk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:50 am

Ahhhh....the last day of the "Tour de Backcountry Huts" in Jasper National Park filled with stunning peaks, breathtaking glaciers, a few small avalanches, warm fires in remote, secluded huts and many, many miles (uhhh, kilometers) on snowshoes. Since we had been in the backcountry all week, the paved highway from the town of Jasper to Maligne Lake was looking like a good road bike ride to finish off the excursion before starting the long drive back. Starting the ride alone, I soon met up with my friend who was parked at a rest area about half way. The plan was for him to join me on the rest of the ride. As I came around the corner, I see my friend still in jeans, bike still in the truck, laughing uncontrollably. Once he was able to speak, his story went like this:

Overjoyed at the thought of actually using a toilet for the first time in many days, he "settled in" to do his business when the most ferocious, angry, echoing growl came from beneath. :shock: Completely exposed and now with threats of being bitten by SOMETHING in places no one wants to be bitten, he shot off the toilet and (think cartoon character) nearly hit the ceiling on his way out the door. Trying to calm his nerves and control laughter at the same time, he quickly found a pen and paper from inside the truck and put a sign on the door of the outhouse warning of the "monster" that resided below. A few minutes passed and he decided that whatever had crawled down into the abyss would die if he couldn't somehow get it out. Tearing down the homemade sign, he quickly found a huge tree branch lying only a few meters away. Carefully placing the monster's ladder to freedom down into the toilet amidst more angry snarls from below, he sprinted to the truck to capture on camera what was about to emerge.
DSC_0800.JPG
DSC_0800.JPG (106.22 KiB) Viewed 3080 times

Completely covered in....well I think we all know what that would be..the "monster" scurried up the ladder to his freedom....
1DSC_0798.JPG
1DSC_0798.JPG (48.96 KiB) Viewed 3087 times

Here is further pictorial evidence of the resident outhouse "monster" and we need some help identifying this ferocious little beast. My first guess was a weasel but looking closer I think it may be a mink? Any experts on rodents that lurk in the depths of Canadian roadside outhouses? Oh, and note the "tracks" in the snow....definitely NOT mud! :lol:
1DSC_0797-1.JPG
1DSC_0797-1.JPG (41.35 KiB) Viewed 3050 times

Re: The Canadian Outhouse "Monster"

Postby glacierPaul » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:04 am

We have a Pine Martin that looks similar to that guy, only minus the poo and wire hair terrier look. Could be a mink though. Crazy story and pic's! Now the critter knows what is down there!

Postby Alpine » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:22 am

That is hilarious - although I am sure that little critter did not find it so amusing. Looks like a Pine Marten to me. i want to know why he was down there in the first place :shock:
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:06 am

Looks like he’s having a bad hair day!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby gurlyclimber » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:52 am

Poor little poopie guy.

:lol:
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby Presto » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:09 am

Most of us women have long heard of the infamous "toilet monster". :shock: Thanks for the inside poop on what he looks like. :wink: :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Iguru » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:01 am

You saved him from certain poop drowning. He looks pretty relieved to be out of the dumper.
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 am

That was disgusting. Thank you for sharing! :D
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby JA_son27 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Wow!

All I have to say is that is how I feel at the end of a long day at work!
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Postby heim0087 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:09 pm

My grandpa tells a story about sitting on a porcupine that was stuck in an outhouse. Needless to say, that has taught me to always check before I go! [-o<
Don't do anything I wouldn't do, but if you do, take pictures.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:15 pm

Looks like a Pine (American) Marten. The color on the chest, and the longer snout than a mink/weasel. The arched back is also consistent with a Marten. I'm sure no animal would look "normal" coming out of there!

"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby walkurtalk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:31 pm

Definitely looks like a Pine Marten...I am also guessing the ranger who later had to get the "ladder" out of there was probably not so pleased :evil:

Next