Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Strange Experience Today in the Lost Creek Wilderness

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Strange Experience Today in the Lost Creek Wilderness

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:21 am

Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Boggy B » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:14 am

Interesting...

We ran across that same part of a deer leg on the Mt. Princeton jeep road while descending. It hadn't been there on the way up.

I assume Cooper killed and ate the deer to regain some calories after summiting all the Sawatch peaks while waiting for us to get Princeton.

Nothing to worry about. I'm sure he was out there on the 17th too.

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:46 am

cvrti5 wrote:Wow, just a few weeks ago there was a Bigfoot sighting in Colorado ... this is getting weird.

It wasn't particularly weird that someone heard a noise they couldn't identify. Now that we're conjuring up imaginary boogeymen to try to explain it, yes, it's getting weird.

Postby prone2jodl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:41 am

I'm going with bull moose on the sound thing

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/agassiz/moosesite/multimedia/bull_call.wav

most people don't realize the sounds that deer and related species are capable of making, since they are so often silent. my second thought would be the distress call of a mule deer.

as for the deer leg, i would imagine it was scavenged by a coyote and abandoned. without being able to see/smell/lick it though, that is a pure hypothesis.
Stünd ich, Natur, vor dir ein Mann allein,
Da wär's der Mühe wert, ein Mensch zu sein.

Postby glacierPaul » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:13 am

If something chewed half your leg off, you might make some weird noises too :D . Better the deer and not you, I always say.

Postby tress » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:29 pm

me and my lady having an afternoon delight, move along now.

Postby Floyd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:13 pm

prone2jodl wrote:
most people don't realize the sounds that deer and related species are capable of making, since they are so often silent.

You're not kidding. At my base camp for Jupiter a few years ago (last night of an 8-day trip by myself) I was relaxing in my tent when I heard an animal rummaging around my campsite. It was about 5-10 feet from me when it started "growling". Now, slightly alarmed, I grabbed my hunting knife and leaped out of the tent to find 2 male deer calmly eating grass and looking at me like I was nuts. I never heard of a deer making that noise, but it sure sounded pretty aggressive.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby Yog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:19 pm

Hmmm...Sasquatch in Colorado!

About three weeks ago I saw the same part of a deers' leg along the road to the summer TH of Harvard and Columbia (Horn Fork Basin). While in and of itself, the deer leg was not a terribly odd find. However, it was set precariously on a tree branch off the road on the south side. Unfortunately, I saw no footprints resembling Sasquatch (not that I've ever seen or looked for these types of footprints), but there were mountain lion tracks about. I did not take a picture of the leg in the tree, as I figured it would be a bit morbid and not really within the realm of things I like to shoot with the camera. I also found a vertabrae of an animal just before the winter trailhead, which I assumed belonged to one and the same.

Two weeks ago, I returned to make another (successful this time) attempt on Columbia. I did not see the vertebrae along the road (Sasquatch like to pick their teeth with bones, so perhaps it came back for its dental kit :D ), but did not take the road to the summer TH as this time I took the East Ridge up, via the Colorado Trail to start. Did not hear or see any signs of large animals (sans Homo Sapiens & Oreamnos Americanus) along this route, nor any stray anatomical parts belonging to 4 legged grazers.

Going to follow this Sasquatch story, thanks for posting the link! =D>
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner

Postby George James » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:27 pm

cvrti5 wrote:About 90 minutes in (on the Brookside-Payne Trail) I ran into this (deer/elk leg)...

Boggy wrote:We ran across that same part of a deer leg on the Mt. Princeton jeep road while descending. It hadn't been there on the way up.

Yog wrote:About three weeks ago I saw the same part of a deers' leg along the road to the summer TH of Harvard and Columbia...

:shock: WTF???
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby Floyd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:50 pm

George James wrote:
cvrti5 wrote:About 90 minutes in (on the Brookside-Payne Trail) I ran into this (deer/elk leg)...

Boggy wrote:We ran across that same part of a deer leg on the Mt. Princeton jeep road while descending. It hadn't been there on the way up.

Yog wrote:About three weeks ago I saw the same part of a deers' leg along the road to the summer TH of Harvard and Columbia...

:shock: WTF???

Now that you mention it, I saw the same part of a deer leg in the lynx cage at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo last time I was there. That thing must be like the roaming gnome.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby Derek » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 pm

Funny, I recall seeing a leg like that on the same trail about 3 weeks ago on our way up Lost Platte Peak. Probably the same one thats being carried around.

On another note regarding deer legs in the LCW... Last year I found Elk pieces near my campsite about 2.5 miles in from Ute Trailhead. (Off trail about 200 yards.) The odd part was that a section of leg was hanging over a branch about 15 feet off the ground. Not sure what would drag a meal that high around this area...hmm

--Derek
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:27 pm

JC,... ever since all these "medical Marijuana" stores started popping up there has been some really weird topics on this forum.

Next