Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TGC Sightings

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: TGC Sightings

Postby Greenhouseguy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:15 pm

I may believe in TGC, but you'll never get me to believe that Surfer Girl is in the mountains.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby jaymz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:40 pm

There goes the media, distorting things again. TGC caused that slide on purpose. It is well known that he swims avalanches on a regular basis for pure entertainment, much like you or I regular folk might attend a ballgame or a play. He discovered this while descending from his fourth summit of K2. While sledding down, he triggered an avy and said, "F*** it," and ditched the tobogan. Witnesses say he did at least 3 different forms of swim stroke on the way down, in perfect olympic form.
Damn media.

Postby Doug Shaw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:43 pm

jaymz wrote:Witnesses say he did at least 3 different forms of swim stroke on the way down, in perfect olympic form.

Just goes to prove that eyewitness reports are unreliable. TGC swimming DOWN an avalanche? Now I've heard everything!

Postby covfrrider » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:06 am

Doug Shaw wrote:
jaymz wrote:Witnesses say he did at least 3 different forms of swim stroke on the way down, in perfect olympic form.

Just goes to prove that eyewitness reports are unreliable. TGC swimming DOWN an avalanche? Now I've heard everything!

Correct Doug, everyone knows that TGC uses a stunt double to climb for him in the Colorado "hills"... as he just can't be bothered with them.

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:31 am

If I were to examine the circumstances of the event free of any media bias or judgement, I would have assumed that the avalanche was not a product of mere mortal man, or TGC Himself; rather it was due to a shiver of anticipation from Mother Earth Herself when realizing TGC and his Girlfriend were in the area and may have been contemplating a climb (poor assumption on the part of Mother Earth.) It simply was not to be.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby COmedic04 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:03 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:Just goes to prove that eyewitness reports are unreliable. TGC swimming DOWN an avalanche? Now I've heard everything!

Who said anything about swimming DOWN?!? I heard he swims upstream, like a mountain salmon!!
Paramedic: Drive safe, or I'll see you naked!!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev

Postby skier25 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:30 pm

I heard TGC skis down mountains on two halves of a 40 foot pine...then he claps his hands together and the thunderous roar brings forth a torrent of snow which he uses to swim through back up to the top...
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby Chris P. » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 am

I'm sorry to get off the topic of TGC's incredible feats, but there's something really bugging me about this story. Did anyone see the newscast with the interview of this dude? I'll see if I can find the video and post it, but it was unbelievable how lightly the media played this. The dude had no avy gear or training, and he skied a line that avalanches ALL THE TIME when the CAIC avy forecast for the area was HIGH. The news reports him as being "An experienced backcountry rider," and as having "An avalanche plan." Then they report that the dude claims his ONLY MISTAKE was not having the proper gear (but it's on his Christmas list), and they say it like it's true. Does anyone else find this as enraging as I do? Typically it seems like the media is fairly good about highlighting dangers, good avalanche safety, etc... in situations like this by interviewing an SAR member or something like that. I'm telling you... TGC would not approve of this message.

Postby Kojones » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:30 am

Chris P. wrote:I'm sorry to get off the topic of TGC's incredible feats, but there's something really bugging me about this story. Did anyone see the newscast with the interview of this dude? I'll see if I can find the video and post it, but it was unbelievable how lightly the media played this. The dude had no avy gear or training, and he skied a line that avalanches ALL THE TIME when the CAIC avy forecast for the area was HIGH. The news reports him as being "An experienced backcountry rider," and as having "An avalanche plan." Then they report that the dude claims his ONLY MISTAKE was not having the proper gear (but it's on his Christmas list), and they say it like it's true. Does anyone else find this as enraging as I do? Typically it seems like the media is fairly good about highlighting dangers, good avalanche safety, etc... in situations like this by interviewing an SAR member or something like that. I'm telling you... TGC would not approve of this message.

"Don't worry, I have a SPOT on my Christmas list," he thought as he awoke after falling off the 700-foot cliff.

I am surprised that the news, which normally finds the bad in everything, highlights this guy as a hero. Sure, it's amazing that he was able to "swim" out of it, but he should not have been there in the first place with the conditions, history, and lack of gear.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby George James » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:56 am

Chris P. wrote:I'm sorry to get off the topic of TGC's incredible feats, but there's something really bugging me about this story. Did anyone see the newscast with the interview of this dude? I'll see if I can find the video and post it, but it was unbelievable how lightly the media played this. The dude had no avy gear or training, and he skied a line that avalanches ALL THE TIME when the CAIC avy forecast for the area was HIGH. The news reports him as being "An experienced backcountry rider," and as having "An avalanche plan." Then they report that the dude claims his ONLY MISTAKE was not having the proper gear (but it's on his Christmas list), and they say it like it's true. Does anyone else find this as enraging as I do? Typically it seems like the media is fairly good about highlighting dangers, good avalanche safety, etc... in situations like this by interviewing an SAR member or something like that. I'm telling you... TGC would not approve of this message.

Here it is: http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-avalanche-survivor-121509,0,2124756.story #-o

I don't understand why in the news they never seem to mention anything about how you can go to the CAIC website and read the snow & avalanche discussion before you head out.

So will they now change the name of that feature to "TGC's cornice?"
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby jaymz » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:37 pm

g wrote:WTF was TGC doing in Kansas??

Ottawa is near the Flint Hills, which are mostly unfarmed because of the thin topsoil. TGC, however, grows corn, soybeans, cotton, sugarcane, and award-winning pumpkins there, in December, just for the challenge.

That's what he was doing in Kansas.

Postby LongLiveTheHuskers » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:00 pm

jaymz wrote:That's what he was doing in Kansas.

He also raises genetically modified snowboard bunnies. On his farm. In Kansas. I've seen it.
BRING THE TROPHIES BACK TO LINCOLN - 76 Days Till Kickoff

Next