Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

EPIC (hehe) 1980 Alaskan Expedition

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: EPIC (hehe) 1980 Alaskan Expedition

Postby COmedic04 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:31 pm

:shock: Wow...I literally had someone walk by my office while I had my mouth open, staring hungrily at some of those pictures, and peek in to make sure I hadn't had a stroke! :lol:
Paramedic: Drive safe, or I'll see you naked!!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev

Postby centrifuge » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:33 pm

I dont really have anything useful to add... wow... that is really, really cool... yeah... I think that covers it.

thank you for sharing
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby Hacksaw » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:19 am

That TR is only one of several that Scott Woolums and Jay Kerr have achieved just in Alaska.

In 1979 my partner Mike Kotowski and I came down off the Moose’s Tooth in the Ruth, and arrived at the Sheldon mountain house as a very stormy/foggy period closed in. We arrived at the same time as Scott Woolums, Jay Kerr, Jeff Thomas and Dave Jay. They where fresh off their success of doing the first ascent of the south ridge of Mount Huntington.

We spent several days hanging out at the mountain house. I remember discussing the route for skiing into the Ruth for their next tripin 1980. I have since gotten to ski and do a few minor ice climbs with Scott, here in Colorado.

Any way, Scott and Jay, have gone on to do a number of big routes and ski traverses. But, Scott was part of a group that did a ski traverse of the whole Alaska Range in 1981. They started at Mentasta Lake near Tok Junction, and finished in the Kichatna Spires. It took them 45 days to cover the 350-400 miles of the range. And when they got to the Kichatna’s they spent a couple of weeks climbing there. Scott’s slide show of that trip was amazing. =D>

Scott has done a lot of guiding on McKinley. Last I heard he had more successful ascents then Ray Gennett every got. He also has a 1st ascent route of the Great Trango Tower in Pakistan. And he’s also lately been guiding Everest (several times) and I think Mt. Vinson in Antarctica.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby Presto » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:42 am

Hacksaw, sorry for the delay in commenting on your post (I was out of town). All I can say is ... :shock: :D . Wow. Sounds like Scott is a remarkable guy. Would have loved to have seen that slideshow. 8) Looks like you have been blessed with some fun adventures yourself ... how about treating us to some trip reports from the past that you've been on. :wink: I'm sure I don't speak only for myself when I say that would be much appreciated by many on this forum.

Thanks for taking the time to add even more substance to an interesting topic. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Kovar » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Aweome TR. By far the most productive part of my workday thus far.

Postby Hacksaw » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Presto wrote:Hacksaw, sorry for the delay in commenting on your post (I was out of town). All I can say is ... :shock: :D . Wow. Sounds like Scott is a remarkable guy. Would have loved to have seen that slideshow. 8) Looks like you have been blessed with some fun adventures yourself ... how about treating us to some trip reports from the past that you've been on. :wink: I'm sure I don't speak only for myself when I say that would be much appreciated by many on this forum.

Thanks for taking the time to add even more substance to an interesting topic. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Trails! :D

Presto,

Your going to make me blush.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Well, if I get some time maybe I'll write up something. Most of those trips where "back-in-the-day," so their not going to be any major records compaired to today, etc... One major problem is I have mainly 35mm slides that I haven't scaned yet, and I haven't spent time learning how to post pictures. #-o #-o #-o #-o

Halsted
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby zoriloco » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:53 pm

What an adventure!!! I can only hope I can someday do something somewhat like this TR.

Thanks for the link.

Postby bckcntryskr » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Absolutely amazing. This is the best TR that I have ever read. The "book" is so incredible, I would love to see the movie.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby OutdoorExplore » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:54 am

Thanks for the TR! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
"Going to the top, and can't be stopped!" - Keith Craft

Colorado Springs Outdoor Explorers

Adventure On The Summits

Postby alpinista55 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi All --

Thanks for the cross-post. I love hearing that folks are enjoying my TRs. I wish all the time that I could turn back the clock and experience those adventures again. But being a realist, I have moved on to blue-water cruising on my vintage Tartan 37 sloop Betty Lou. I can get my ass in just as serious a position as I ever did on the mountain, but have the comfort of a warm bunk, full galley, and a flush toilet. Here's a link to a video shot aboard Betty Lou while sailing south from Vancouver Island to Oregon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0x2GRMxzMI

Thanks for all the great comments. They make my day!

Jay Kerr

Postby Presto » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Wow, thanks Jay! I loved your trip report (that's my kinda trip) ... I just had to share it with others. Take care and happy trails (or should I say Happy Sails!) :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby BelowSeaLevel » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks! that was an awesome article

Previous