Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog Rescue

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Dog Rescue

Postby SprayMan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Today I did a training hike in and out of Lake Katherine, an alpine lake at about 11,500 feet outside of Santa Fe. It's about 15 miles round trip. On my way out, I ran into a family with an injured dog. The poor dog had worn the pads off of its paws on the rocky trail, and simply could not walk. It was too big to carry, about 65 pounds, so they made a stretcher for the dog. Three of the family members and I carried the dog on the stretcher the remaining five miles down the mountain. My feet and back are killing me. I told the dad he should take a poodle next time.
"A flute without holes is not a flute. A donut without a hole is a danish." --Chevy Chase, "Caddy Shack"

Re: Dog Rescue

Postby skiwall » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:59 pm

Good for you!!!!

Poor dog.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby djrunner » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Nice work. They make shoes for dogs to protect their pads. My lab usually wears his blue booties. People hiking think it is the cutest thing, and it protects his paw pads. It takes a few steps for him to get used to them, but eventually he forgets he is wearing them.

Postby Hacksaw » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:39 pm

SprayMan wrote:....so they made a stretcher for the dog.

What did you use to make a stretcher? Just interested to learn more info always...
:D
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby Fiemus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:51 pm

Hacksaw wrote:What did you use to make a stretcher? Just interested to learn more info always... :D

I'm interested too... having recently had to rescue a 70lb dog from Buffalo Mtn above Silverthorne. The thing was so old and tired I ended up carrying it down in a fireman's carry over my neck and pack. My first non-human rescue since joining SAR (done as a favor for Animal Control as animal rescues aren't strictly in SARs remit).

Postby astromwall » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:45 am

Me and my wife made a stretcher thing for our dog out of a sorta light jean material. Just figured out the size the larger flat sheet part needed to be and then sewed loop handles on the corners. It needs to be wide enought to go under the dog and back up so it sort of wraps around them. She didn't like when we were testing it out, but I'm sure she would be OK with it if she were hurt. Its light and it packs at the bottom of my pack. and it only cost like 4 bucks to make so I can always give it away if someone on the trail is in need of something like that. You can carry it with the handles or find sticks to run through the handles.

Postby adortch » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:04 am

We discussed this before heading out to climb with our dog. You can rig two rain jackets onto hiking poles (poles through sleeves & sides, jackets zipped up) but doubt the jackets would be much good after that. However, if it ever came down to it, we'd have done it. We also use the Ruffwear boots and socks with our guy (75 pound Golden Retriever) and don't have pad issues, though they don't work well on snow.

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:16 am

adortch wrote:We also use the Ruffwear boots and socks with our guy (75 pound Golden Retriever) and don't have pad issues... .

I use the Ruffwear boots for my 125 lb. Great Dane (she wears them out pretty quickly), but without the socks...wasn't sure if the socks were just a ploy for more money or if they actually served a function.

adortch wrote:though they don't work well on snow

I have also noticed they don't work very well on wet rock.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Hacksaw » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:35 am

Hacksaw wrote:
SprayMan wrote:....so they made a stretcher for the dog.

What did you use to make a stretcher? Just interested to learn more info always...
:D

I would also like to hear from SprayMan.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby Inky6900 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:37 am

aboynamedmargrette wrote: wasn't sure if the socks were just a ploy for more money or if they actually served a function.

They prevent the tops of the dog's toes from being rubbed raw inside the shoes and also give the same protection to the wrist/ankle areas where the shoe is tight to the leg. My dog has climbed nearly all the 14ers now and has done so in the Ruff Wear shoes for each hike/climb. He's been a tester for Ruff Wear for years and I suggested to them years ago they add socks or some kind of wraps to their product list. For a while a was buying him baby socks although 99% of the time I just wrapped his wrist/ankle areas with gauze rolls followed by athletic tape over the top. It kept these areas from being rubbed raw and allowed me to really tighten up the shoes without cutting off circulation to the paw. The athletic tape's tackiness also kept the shoes from spinning. The socks do some of that, but not to the extent that the wrapping method I use does. On summit days I always wrap his wrists/ankles. On hiking days I'll just use the socks.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

Postby geno71 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:47 am

aboynamedmargrette wrote:
adortch wrote:We also use the Ruffwear boots and socks with our guy (75 pound Golden Retriever) and don't have pad issues... .

I use the Ruffwear boots for my 125 lb. Great Dane (she wears them out pretty quickly), but without the socks...wasn't sure if the socks were just a ploy for more money or if they actually served a function.

I've found that vaseline helps a lot. Gob the top of their paws and "ankles" with vaseline and it protects them pretty good. It washes right out when your done without any problems, too.

Postby msc118 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:13 am

Inky6900 wrote:They prevent the tops of the dog's toes from being rubbed raw inside the shoes and also give the same protection to the wrist/ankle areas where the shoe is tight to the leg. My dog has climbed nearly all the 14ers now and has done so in the Ruff Wear shoes for each hike/climb. He's been a tester for Ruff Wear for years and I suggested to them years ago they add socks or some kind of wraps to their product list. For a while a was buying him baby socks although 99% of the time I just wrapped his wrist/ankle areas with gauze rolls followed by athletic tape over the top. It kept these areas from being rubbed raw and allowed me to really tighten up the shoes without cutting off circulation to the paw. The athletic tape's tackiness also kept the shoes from spinning. The socks do some of that, but not to the extent that the wrapping method I use does. On summit days I always wrap his wrists/ankles. On hiking days I'll just use the socks.

I recently bought boots for my 40lb mix (lab/shepherd among other things), but after hiking Harvard and Missouri, I'm wondering if she needs them for the hikes I'll be taking her on. Her pads were just fine after both these hikes and I'm curious what you all think. On one hand, I feel that if I take her out on enough local, training hikes to toughen up her pads, she won't need the boots for the 14ers she does. Afterall, dogs were created with all the necessary "gear", right? On the other hand, I realize that our domesticated dogs have the luxuries of enjoying soft carpet and nice green yards which is why the boots may be necessary. But I still can't help but think for the hiking that we're doing at this point, the boots are unnecessary. Other dog owners out there, do you use boots? For what kinds of hikes do you use them? All, or just the longer/rockier ones?
"Be very careful then, how you live, not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity." Ephesians 5:15-16

Next