Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Craziest Scene on a 14er

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Craziest Scene on a 14er

Postby randalmartin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:23 pm

I am hiking on Sherman Sunday and heading down from the summit and I do a double take to confirm what I can't believe I am seeing. I run into a guy that has completely stripped so he can put on a new pair of underwear. My hiking partner told me that he overheard him telling the two women he was with to look away while he changed underwear that were soaked with sweat. :shock:

Re: Craziest Scene on a 14er

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:30 pm

randalmartin wrote:I run into a guy that has completely stripped so he can put on a new pair of underwear.

If you think that's shocking, imagine how HE feels. How did you completely fail to see him before you ran into him? Try watching where you're going next time. :wink:

Postby stonebaez » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Well I am going to have to amend your title to craziest scene on the way to a 14er, which happened to me Saturday morning on the way to Huron.

I was about 13 miles outside of Leadville on 91 at 4 in the morning when I round a corner going 60 mph. I see an oncoming car so I turn off my brights and continue on my merry way until I realize a) hes not moving and b) hes in my line. So I slow down and pull onto the shoulder next to the guy, as he's smack dab in the middle of my oncoming lane. I notice his driver side light and body is smashed so I figure he must have hit a deer/elk or something.

At this point I am getting ready to see blood and guts, a dead guy or something crazy as my mind raced. I jump out of my car (and leave it running) and start knocking on the window and asking if hes ok. The windows are tinted so I can't see in, and with no response I try opening the door but it is locked. I run to the back of my car to get the headlight out of my pack and I flash it in the window and barely make out a man in his early 20s unconscious in the front seat. I start knocking harder and am getting ready to call the cops when he finally responds.

'aaaaaaaaarghwaaaaaaaa'

I ask if hes ok and if I need to call the police, and more mumbling ensues. I still at the time think this guy is hurt and am running over my options. Finally I tell him that he is on the wrong side of the road. With a quick acknowledgement, the next thing I know he bolts down the highway and off into the night.

Now obviously this a**hole was completely hammered drunk. If I had caught his lisence plate I would have called him in, but he took me by surprise so he probably ended up driving off a cliff somewhere instead. It also occured to me later that he just as easily could have been setting me up to get mugged, as I left my car running and was wondering around leaving it unattended. All in all, it woke me up a bit more for the last leg of the drive.

On the way back, 7 hours or so later, I figure perhaps I was wrong and I would look to see if there was any roadkill or smashed car bits on the road. As I am driving up to the same area, I see a cop car with people swarming around all along the side of the road. My heart drops, thinking I let this a**hole do more damage. As it turns out, I had arrived about 5 minutes after a motorcycle accident and this poor guy was flat on his back with a police officer running around him (trying to figure out what to do). Police cars and ambulances would fly past me over the next 15 minutes as I drove on past.

Moral of the story: mile marker 13 of highway 91 is a cursed mile!
Climb.

Postby gdthomas » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:58 pm

The unicycle guys were on Torreys this weekend. They seemed to be doing more carrying than cycling when I saw them.

Postby mountainmicah83 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:36 pm

stonebaez wrote:Well I am going to have to amend your title to craziest scene on the way to a 14er, which happened to me Saturday morning on the way to Huron.

I was about 13 miles outside of Leadville on 91 at 4 in the morning when I round a corner going 60 mph. I see an oncoming car so I turn off my brights and continue on my merry way until I realize a) hes not moving and b) hes in my line. So I slow down and pull onto the shoulder next to the guy, as he's smack dab in the middle of my oncoming lane. I notice his driver side light and body is smashed so I figure he must have hit a deer/elk or something.

At this point I am getting ready to see blood and guts, a dead guy or something crazy as my mind raced. I jump out of my car (and leave it running) and start knocking on the window and asking if hes ok. The windows are tinted so I can't see in, and with no response I try opening the door but it is locked. I run to the back of my car to get the headlight out of my pack and I flash it in the window and barely make out a man in his early 20s unconscious in the front seat. I start knocking harder and am getting ready to call the cops when he finally responds.

'aaaaaaaaarghwaaaaaaaa'

I ask if hes ok and if I need to call the police, and more mumbling ensues. I still at the time think this guy is hurt and am running over my options. Finally I tell him that he is on the wrong side of the road. With a quick acknowledgement, the next thing I know he bolts down the highway and off into the night.

Now obviously this a-hole was completely hammered drunk. If I had caught his lisence plate I would have called him in, but he took me by surprise so he probably ended up driving off a cliff somewhere instead. It also occured to me later that he just as easily could have been setting me up to get mugged, as I left my car running and was wondering around leaving it unattended. All in all, it woke me up a bit more for the last leg of the drive.

On the way back, 7 hours or so later, I figure perhaps I was wrong and I would look to see if there was any roadkill or smashed car bits on the road. As I am driving up to the same area, I see a cop car with people swarming around all along the side of the road. My heart drops, thinking I let this a-hole do more damage. As it turns out, I had arrived about 5 minutes after a motorcycle accident and this poor guy was flat on his back with a police officer running around him (trying to figure out what to do). Police cars and ambulances would fly past me over the next 15 minutes as I drove on past.

Moral of the story: mile marker 13 of highway 91 is a cursed mile!

Sounds like fleetmack saw the same guy maybe
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6324&cpgm=tripmain

Youre time sounds a lot like mine, only maybe more pucker factor. See my TR for the full story.

Highlights:
Crazy chick with a Gun in the middle of the woods
Tornado

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6329&cpgm=tripmain
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby randalmartin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:50 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:
randalmartin wrote:I run into a guy that has completely stripped so he can put on a new pair of underwear.

If you think that's shocking, imagine how HE feels. How did you completely fail to see him before you ran into him? Try watching where you're going next time. :wink:

I should have used a better phrase than "run into him". I was about 25 yards away. Thankfully didn't get any closer than that and most thankfully I saw his a$$ and not the front which would have traumatized me for the rest of the hike. :shock:
Last edited by randalmartin on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Papillon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:05 pm

Who packs an extra pair of skivvies for a day hike?
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby Vermont Refugee » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:35 pm

Someone who normally needs Depends (but brought skivies because they don't make Depends in Polypro)???
That's some catch that catch 22

Postby aerohr » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:16 pm

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:57 pm

This was a my "craziest" experience thus far. Buckets of KFC, 80's music coming from a backpack boom box, adult beverages of all varieties, and about 30 well worn 14er climbers. Not exactly a wilderness experience, but quite crazy.

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby mac266 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:38 am

My wife and I hiked Huron Peak this past Saturday. It was her first. My story doesn't happen until AFTER the hike, though. We stopped in Johnson Village (just outside Buena Vista) to grab a bite to eat.

I was sitting at a table waiting for my lunch when a guy I'd never met walked up and started talking to me. I was wearing an Army T-shirt, you see (one of those synthetic, breathable fibers), so he started asking me about my service. I've been in the Army in one way, shape, or form for 15 years now, split between active duty and reserves. I also participated in the invasion of Iraq in 2003 (was active duty then) and am getting ready to take my reserve unit to Afghanistan (I'm the commander).

He was genuinely interested, and no, he wasn't gathering intelligence for terrorists -- he didn't ask the right questions. This was just a good, patriotic guy from Minnesota. By his "Philmont Scout Ranch" cap and T-shirt I could tell he was a Boy Scout leader. I have a soft spot for Boy Scouts, too; those were some of the best times of my life. When my food arrived he excused himself and left...then returned a few minutes later to speak with a waitress, then left again.

When I went to pay my bill, I discovered this gentleman had bought my lunch as a "thank you" gesture for my service.

As a full-time cop in the ghetto(I'm just a part-time soldier now), I deal with gangs, drugs, violence, chemical dependency, homicide, child abuse, and other things that would give most people night mares (and it has given me nightmares on more than one occasion). I've grown rather cynical about people and society in general. I distrust everyone, and am easily one of "those people" who have lost ALL faith in the human race.

BUT...then this guy comes along. The cheap meal wasn't a big deal; it was his gesture of thankfulness for the sacrifices I've made over these past 15 years. I guess he restored a little of my faith in humanity.
MAC

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -Chesterton

Postby Sconny » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:53 am

Nice!
Two giants have just met and they like each other.

Next