Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

58 In The Bag

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby AzScott » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:25 pm

Congratulations on a really impressive feat! 16 months and all those mountains...man, you're an animal and I mean that as the best of compliments! I'll bet that was a heck of feeling stepping on to the top of Windom...
I hope to be in the same position next year, as I only have 8 left, but if I have any hope of graduating from school here in May, I'd better wait until then. Thanks for the inspiration to go after it and finish the adventure and begin new ones! Good luck on all your future adventures and congrats, once again. As I'm sure I don't have to tell you - never stop climbing! :)

Postby doumall » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:02 pm

Thanks MtnMan. Wow, your close. Which ones do you have left? I bet they are good ones.

I know what you mean by school interfearing. For me, the end of climbing season isnt marked by the season, its determined by the when I start the next semester (TA and attending 3 grad classes, ouch).

Postby AzScott » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:52 pm

Yeah, your school schedule sounds a little rougher - I'm still and undergrad but I'm sure I'll be able to relate next year as grad school looms on the horizon. What are you getting your graduate degree in?

The Windom, Eolus, and Sunlight group is still left, but I saved that one on purpose. Blanca, Ellingwood, Culebra, San Luis still to go. But I think I want to wrap up with Snowmass - just seems like a great way to finish - but we'll see how it goes. None of those would be terrible ways to wrap up the 14ers. It will be sad leaving the 14ers, though, because grad school is likely going to be in Arizona or Washington.

Postby Aubrey » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:02 pm

Wow, awesome post. Very inspirational. I've only done 16 (21 ascents) in three years but some of my fam and friends think I'm crazy! I'm not only addicted to 14ers, but just high elevations in general. It's a different, beautiful world up there. It used to feel alien to me, but now it feels like home.

And, man, speaking of the mileage on the vehiculars! Even when you live in Colorado, it's still unbelievable! 2-3 hours to and fro every weekend adds up. And we took countless 3-day weekend trips just to climb 14ers (Ouray, Silverton, Buena Vista [3 times]). Not only that, but in the winter, we're doing the same thing to go skiing. Not that I'm complaining ... :D

Super congratulations to you, doumall! I haven't formally set the goal to do all of them, but things seem to be headed in that direction. I'm comfortable and confident when climbing high class 3 ... but I may need some training to overcome some of the more demanding 14ers. Maybe some rock-climbing classes or something.

At any rate, it was great reading about your accomplishment. For now, I'm living vicariously.

-Aubrey

Postby doumall » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:45 pm

Thanks Aubrey! Its nice to know some people realize the amount of effort this took. Most people dont even seem to have an idea of what a 14er is!

I would have to say if your comfortable with class 3 and have done a half dozen or so class 3 routes, in good conditions you should be okay on the class 4 without technical rock climbing knowledge. Just my two cents though.

Good luck on your goals and happy skiin!

Postby doumall » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:45 pm

Thanks Scottie. Wow, I can imagine how tramatizing that could be... Glad she was physically okay and we were in the car. They are some amazing creatures for sure.

Postby shanahan96 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:59 pm

doumall wrote:
I would have to say if your comfortable with class 3 and have done a half dozen or so class 3 routes, in good conditions you should be okay on the class 4 without technical rock climbing knowledge. Just my two cents though.

i have to say i agree with this assessment 100%. the crestones and bells were to best 14er experiences i've had. the rock makes me feel safe because i'm concentrating on my surroundings much more. this also makes the experience more enjoyable.

jamie

Great job!

Postby ColoradoGuy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:51 pm

Wow! Great job!

-Steve
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Postby paully » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:41 pm

Great work! What an accomplishment!

I have the same goal, but at my rate of 4 or 5 a year, I've still got a long way to go. Again, kudos on a major accomplishment!

Postby doumall » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:25 pm

Thanks paully, sometimes I wish I would have taken more time to do it, but there will always be new mountains to climb. Good luck on your quest!

Postby Shantel » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:23 pm

Congrats!!! :D
That's awesome!
Have a wonderful day!

Shantel :)

Postby TalusMonkey » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:31 am

The subject of this thread is "58 in the Bag." But I only see 56 checked off in your profile list. When are you doing prominence deficient N. Eolus and El Diente?
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

PreviousNext