Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

58 In The Bag

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

58 In The Bag

Postby doumall » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:31 pm

I finished summiting the Colorado 14ers on Windom Peak, last Saturday Sept 24, 2005. It was an awesome mountain to finish on.

I started my goal to climb them May 21st of 2004 with Mt. Sherman. It all started after I had wrist reconstructive surgery and couldnt work for the summer so I decided to do something productive with my time. Of I went solo into the mountains. It took what seemed like constant weekend warrior outings to finish 16 months later, with 20 repeat summits. I have lived in Colorado my entire life, and only through doing this have I seen the state in a new light. During the drives and climbs I saw bears, a mountain lion, two Moose (including a Bull) and many mountain goats, all wildlife I had not seen here before. I now know better the vast expanse of mountains the state has to offer, which I plan to continue to explore.

To climb them all required sacrifice in many ways for me. The gas and car maintenance mounts up. Girlfriend/Friends/Family get sick of your mountain lunacy and constant mountain jabbering. Mom attains many new gray hairs. Have to spend late nights working to make up for long weekends. Spend lots on trail food, camping supplies, hiking/climbing gear. Spend way too much time staring at a 14ers.com computer screen. Get up really early (1am) on a several Friday nights to drive to Aspen. Crash into rock slide on Wolf Creek pass and total car. Of course none of this was enough to make me think twice.

My goal now is to finish the 3000' climbs on the official 14ers: (Update June 06 - Done!)

My favorite peak was Capitol, because it has an amazing approach and great climbing. The views of Snowmass are unreal.

Favorite Group - Eolus group. The vast expanse of mountains surrounding you is unmatched and the seclusion (well in late September) is hard to find. Needle creek is a piece of work and the peaks are a blast to climb.

Most difficult to do in a day: Capitol

Most dangerous: Little Bear and El Diente (loose rock)

Most overrated difficulty: Pyramid

Easiest from TH: Bierstadt

Totals up to date: Milage: ~ 1100, Elevation gain: ~ 550,000' (Update Sept 07)

Good luck to you all and keep on hiking!
Last edited by doumall on Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Postby Layne Bracy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:52 pm

Congratulations! You made quick work of them. Where did you see the moose and mountain lion? (I have yet to see those in Colorado.)

Postby doumall » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:01 pm

Thanks Layne, I saw the Mountain Lion when driving back from Durango this weekend. She was crossing 285 about 10 miles south of Baily around 12am.

Saw a female or yearling Moose on the eastern slopes of Columbia this spring. Seemed like a strange place to see one, but there was no doubt. I think that valley is actually quite wet. Saw a bull early this summer when passing by the beaver ponds on the approach to San Luis.

Postby JasonF » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:18 pm

Good Job!!! Did you have any difficulty "getting in line" to do Culebra?
solvitur ambulando - it has been solved
"From the rising of the sun to the going down of the same, the name of the Lord shall be praised." Ps. 113:3
"For the things which are seen are temporary but the things which are not seen are eternal." 2Cor 4:18

Postby RenoBob » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:03 am

Wow :shock: 16 months, that's an obsession/addiction if I ever saw one. A drug habit would have been cheaper. Congrats, I'm very envious. At my rate of one a year I'll be 106 when I catch up with you. Keep going as long as you can.
Bob
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:09 am

Congrats again Joe! 16th months is impressive, makes me feel real lazy :D

Postby doumall » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:53 am

Thanks All,

Luckily my obsession coincided with Culebra becoming much easier to bag. We had no problem getting a reservation this summer. I am lucky to not be ABC. I feel for all the hikers who had to wait so long for it.

Postby glodder » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:26 pm

Great post, Joe. I was very happy to read the story of your past 16 months. Good luck with your 3,000+ goal, and I assume you'll probably continue your adventures beyond that with the Centennials and others.

Todd

Postby DELTATECH » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:31 pm

Congradulations! Well since you have gone so far how about doing all of the 14ers in the lower 48? There are some nice peaks in California. I did Whitney a month ago as my summer project. Good luck on your future goals.

Postby doumall » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:33 pm

You read my mind DELTATECH. I am hoping my girlfriend decides to get her PHD in Cali so I can get those and explore the Cascades. Thanks!

Postby Frank » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:24 pm

Congratulations, I enjoyed your summary, and hope others who do-um-all will send out their own lists. I sympathize with your car expenses, I've only done 16, but doing them 1 or 2 at a time has just about worn out my car, making trips up from Texas. By the time I get back down to the trailhead, I think I've gotten over the climbing bug, too much trouble for a 64 year-old GrandPa, but by the time I'm halfway home, I'm already planning the just-1-more-climb.

Postby doumall » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:51 pm

I cant tell you how much I respect people who come from far distance and lower elevation to climb these peaks. A much more admirable feat! Hope you get many more trips in Frank. Take care.

Next