Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Crestone Needle T-storm

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby guitmo223 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:54 pm

Great pic! My son's hair did that on the top of Tabeguache. He got into some very serious doo-doo trying to get down that mountain (Jennings Creek - or a class 4 facsimile of) and away from the lightening.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby sudnstop » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:11 pm

Nice pic. As others have said you are lucky to be here! Maybe I should stop shaving my head so I can get a pic like that, then hopefully survive to show it off. Watch out for that varga/virga... LOL...
Cheers,
Greg

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." Frank Lloyd Wright

Postby gdthomas » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:34 pm

This topic illustrates a point that is difficult to understand and nearly impossible to explain, ie., the ability of mountains to lure even the most experienced climbers into bad situations.

Postby strat1080 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:30 am

I got caught in a pretty wicked T-Storm last time I was in the Sangres this year. I was doing Challenger and K Carson. The storm rolled in on our intial hike up to Willow Lake the day before we planned on summiting the peaks. The storm was absolutely wicked and me and my father just decided to find a poor conductive area and wait the storm out. The rule of thumb is definitely to not keep gaining elevation in a thunderstorm. That is just asking for death in my opinion. In a T-Storm you either want to find a good place to wait out the storm or get below tree-line and again find a good place to wait out a storm.

Previous