Crystal Creek Basin (Fr. Dyer + Helen)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Crystal Creek Basin (Fr. Dyer + Helen)

Post by Bob Kocher »

Has anyone been in the Crystal Peak basin in the last few weeks and have some info/pictures on the area, specifically the east ridge of Father Dyer and traverse to Helen? There's a Crystal Peak TR by Bill and a CR by AlexeyD from about a month ago, and I've been watching the snow totals for Breck (looks like Mar had almost 3x the snowfall as Feb did), but was hoping for some first hand info. Cautiously considering a go at that loop as early as this weekend (we'd be on snowshoes).

Thanks
dustj
14ers: 58  16  1 
13ers: 126 19 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crystal Creek Basin (Fr. Dyer + Helen)

Post by dustj »

Here are two photos from Saturday evening from the summit of Helen. One is of Father Dyer. The second has the ridge connecting Helen to Father Dyer with Pacific and the Hawaii chutes in the background. Sorry for the lighting, I used my phone and the sun was not in the best place.
Father Dyer 4/2/16
Father Dyer 4/2/16
Father Dyer.jpg (79.05 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Ridge to Father Dyer 4/2/16
Ridge to Father Dyer 4/2/16
Ridge to Father Dyer.jpg (96.57 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bob Kocher »

This is very helpful. Thank you. Looks like a lot of snow!

Any chance you have an image looking towards Lower Crystal Lake? Just wondering about the approach across the basin and up those initial slopes at the bottom of the Fr. Dyer's east ridge.

What route/peak did you climb on Sat?
dustj
14ers: 58  16  1 
13ers: 126 19 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dustj »

I do not have any photos of the lake. Though, the basin is snowy all the way up but straight forward. Both the Crystal Lake road and the Spruce Creek road with the cut off back to Crystal Lake are well traveled in the winter and the spring. The snow will be pretty well consolidated on the roads.

It was definitely a good March here. It made up for a really warm and dry February. I wore my Chacos in February when we hit 50 out of protest.

I just went out for a quick skin and ski to the summit of Helen after work on Saturday.