Yaktrax on Mt. Sniktau

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aweskamp
14ers: 30 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (6)

Yaktrax on Mt. Sniktau

Post by aweskamp »

I'm planning on climbing Mt. Sniktau in mid-March. I've heard elsewhere on the forum that snowshoes aren't always necessary on this peak and that microspikes would suffice. Is this true, and if so, would yaktrax work?

Any other advice would be welcome! The only other winter climb I've done was Chief Mountain.

Thanks!
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Yaktrax on Mt. Sniktau

Post by XterraRob »

I wish they would ban Yaktrax from existence. They are fine for going out and about on a sidewalk but they have no place on a mountain.

Please consider buying Microspikes as a minimum whenever going on a mountain with snow/ice.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
koeffling
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by koeffling »

I was up there last weekend over to Cupid and Grizzly and did fine with micro spikes. It's typically very wind blown, not deep enough for snowshoes and pretty well traveled, packed. Ask again before you go, but I left my snowshoes in the car. You'll probably be fine with Yaxtrax but as stated, they aren't good for much. You won't be sorry if you invest in micro spikes.

Expect some wind. Maybe a lot of wind. Have fun!
In all things of nature, there is something of the marvelous. -Aristotle

If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. -African Proverb
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

aweskamp wrote:I'm planning on climbing Mt. Sniktau in mid-March. I've heard elsewhere on the forum that snowshoes aren't always necessary on this peak and that microspikes would suffice. Is this true, and if so, would yaktrax work?

Any other advice would be welcome! The only other winter climb I've done was Chief Mountain.

Thanks!
Mountaineering friends don't let other mountaineering friends use YakTrax...

In all seriousness though, Sniktau is entirely a windblown ridge-run most of the time and only Microspikes would be needed. Just mind the cornice that forms on the leeward side of the ridge. People have not realized how big it is and fallen through before.

Snowshoes would only be helpful IF there was a recent storm and somehow the winds hadn't blown it all off yet. (Which is rare)

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Bill Cummings
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill Cummings »

What's the current thinking on Stabilicers Maxx? They seem pretty substantial and less likely to wear down on the kind of mixed terrain where I often find myself (at lower elevations).
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

Bill Cummings wrote:What's the current thinking on Stabilicers Maxx? They seem pretty substantial and less likely to wear down on the kind of mixed terrain where I often find myself (at lower elevations).
Man, I'm going to work on a MICROspikes rant to go along with MountainMedic's tourniquet rant. I assume the only reason people consider buying other brands is in an effort to save a few bucks. I did that once. Fortunately, I could return the inferior product after the first use. I think they were YakTrax Extreme. They didn't stay on my boots and even failed at one of the connections between the chain and the rubber.

Kahtoola is the only brand that's been proven to consistently perform well in Colorado both in traction and durability. That involves plenty of mixed terrain. Some people may have had good luck with other brands, but not on a consistent basis.

Specifically, I disagree that the Stabilicers look substantial. MICROspikes provide grip from their substantial connecting chains in addition to their spikes. That is, you can step on a rock and the chain will catch even if the nearest spike doesn't. The rubber between the nubs on the Stabilicers will offer no additional grip over your boot soles. They also don't look like they'd stay on well.

Please just get Kahtoolas!
BoulderBarb
14ers: 4 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BoulderBarb »

I agree with the microspikes rant! Yaktrax are only good for running in your neighborhood on icy streets. Kahtoolas are worth every penny.
aweskamp
14ers: 30 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by aweskamp »

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I'll definitely invest in some microspikes
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

I've never used yaktrax, but my microspikes are easily one of the most worthwhile investments I have made. I doubt you'll regret it.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

I agree with almost everything said here. I have never used Yaks before, for good reason. However, to say that Kahtoola is the ONLY good brand is a bit of a fanboy comment IMO. I have used Kahtoola Microspikes for a few years, and they are great, but I find myself choosing my Hillsound Trail Crampoon over the Kahtoolas just about every time that I go out. They are a superior product in many ways including: they don't move around on my foot as much as the microspikes and the spikes are bigger, sharper, and don't seem to be wearing down as fast as my microspikes are.

Saying that Kahtoola is the only good product is like saying that MSR is the only good snowshoe. It's an opinion and not one that I agree with.
I'm slower than Scott P.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

SikYou wrote:I agree with almost everything said here. I have never used Yaks before, for good reason. However, to say that Kahtoola is the ONLY good brand is a bit of a fanboy comment IMO. I have used Kahtoola Microspikes for a few years, and they are great, but I find myself choosing my Hillsound Trail Crampoon over the Kahtoolas just about every time that I go out. They are a superior product in many ways including: they don't move around on my foot as much as the microspikes and the spikes are bigger, sharper, and don't seem to be wearing down as fast as my microspikes are.

Saying that Kahtoola is the only good product is like saying that MSR is the only good snowshoe. It's an opinion and not one that I agree with.
I don't think anyone said Kahtoola is the only good product. I said Kahtoola's track record around here is miles ahead of any other product. If someone coming from Missouri doesn't want to waste vacation time dealing with gear issues, I think MICROspikes are the safest bet.

I think a couple people have gotten behind the Hillsound Trail Crampon. My initial impression from photos was that the larger spikes would be awkward when walking on dirt and rocks, as we so often do in Colorado. Having MICROspikes seems to maximize one's options when paired with standard crampons. But it's cool to hear Hillsound is working for you. The advantages you describe sound great.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

SikYou wrote: Saying that Kahtoola is the only good product is like saying that MSR is the only good snowshoe. It's an opinion and not one that I agree with.
There's no such thing as a good snowshoe.

:mrgreen: