Climbing Dallas

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vadim34
14ers: 58 
13ers: 615
Trip Reports (0)

Climbing Dallas

Post by Vadim34 »

Could anyone please let me know if Dallas peak could be safely summited without any ropes.We summited Teakettle and Coffepot without the ropes and I was wondering if Dallas is much harder.
Thanks for the information!
Vadim
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climbing Dallas

Post by RobLowe »

Possible (with approach shoes or better) but the downclimb would not be fun. Super fun to rappel off the top, too. Having the security of a .75 cam on the way up also was nice.
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow
Vadim34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vadim34 »

I did use the rock climbing shoes on teakettle and of course planning on bringing them on Dallas,it's the rappel that Iam contemplating..I do agree with you that it's safer!
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Sure it could. Alex Honold free-climbed El Cap, right? :twisted: It's rated low class 5, so like many class 4, the trick is the downclimb. Unlike climbing at a crag, your legs will have done a long approach (think fatigue). Planning on hitting Dallas tomorrow (with twin rope for rapping and some pro) for any interested. Teakettle wouldn't be that bad a downclimb as it's short, but the "no fall" factor merits bring rope. If you go light then change your mind, the gear back at the TH is of little use. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

The only place on Dallas that may require ropes is the final north face summit tower. These two photos are the final moves before the summit and could give you an idea as to the body posture while down climbing. I climbed Dallas without ropes last September and felt comfortable down climbing after a long summit break however, I wouldn't tell someone I don't know to go for it. A fall here would be fatal.
Attachments
Dallas2.jpg
Dallas2.jpg (200.91 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
Dallas1.jpg
Dallas1.jpg (145.17 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
snowypeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowypeaks »

All I really remember of Dallas a long time ago was that we arrived entirely unexpectedly at the summit, as we had been anticipating for some sort of crux to appear beforehand. We were actually a bit disappointed. Since we had the rope along, it was nice to rap down rather than climb down. Have fun!
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I thought the rappel off the summit block was super fun and worth carrying a rope for. Also, we had heavy rains the night before and everything was just a little wet so I was happy to have the extra protection of a rope.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Vadim34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vadim34 »

As always,thank you guys for the information!! Iam at 93 centennials,and really enjoying these beautiful peaks with Dallas being one of the hardest.
Those pictures are very helpful too,thank you.
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I agree, I think you could do it without ropes, but downclimbing would be really scary, IMO. The rap from the top is one of the most fun things I've ever done in my life.
uwe
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Why do you not want to bring rope?
True, you can climb, descend without rope.
I've climbed it 3x and our teams, (of 4) used rope for executing a top belay and rappel.
On one of these climbs, a couple jumped in front of us as we were setting up for our summit block push and climbed in their approach shoes.
They used a rope to rappel off the block.

You increase risk without rope. Why do that?
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Just did Dallas (Monday) with Wineguy. There are at least 4 places you could need rope and at least 3 slings on the peak ("4th class" section, off summit, notch E of summit). We roped up to climb a flaky NE side with a protruding block and roof to duck around (PITA with a pack on) that finishes between the cairn and rap block. Reclimbed from inside the chock rock chimney trying to free rope. We never found the slope nor N side route, but clouds, fog, and graupel made for a cold wet decent until we got below the clouds. Beta had some things we never pieced together.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Vadim34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vadim34 »

Thanks for the beta,I do agree about the rope and the rappel off the summit,don't have much experience using ropes however..maybe a lesson from the pros will be in a plan and then will give it a shot soon!!
P.S. Matt,really enjoying your web site since you have told me about it last year when I met you on Clinton,too bad your now in Oregon.