Pika Peak from Fulford Campground?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
762x51NATO
Trip Reports (0)

Pika Peak from Fulford Campground?

Post by 762x51NATO »

Last year I started my then-10 year old hiking 13ers and 14ers and now he is not only my best hiking buddy, he is also an avid observer of pika behavior. So naturally, when he discovered Pika Peak on the 13ers site he wants to do the summit. Starting at the Fulford campground trailhead to the summit of Pika via Charles Lake and the northwest ridge looks very do-able. It will take us about 3 hours just to drive to the trailhead, so for planning purposes I am thinking of doing the summit of Pika alone instead of combining it with the other 13er peaks in the area as others have done. Based on the elevation profile it appears to be a moderate climb. Given our proficiency level, difficult class 2 or class 3 is our limit for now.

Any suggestions?
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Pika Peak from Fulford Campground?

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I would recommend the class 2 route that comes from the south/south east if you hike to Mystic Island Lake. And lets face it, with a name like that, you have to go to Mystic Island Lake 8) There are a few cliff bands around 12/12,200 you have to pick around if I remember correctly and that it was not a problem to pick a line to keep it class 2.

For reference, the north ridge on the Gold Dust side of Pika is class 3 to 4 depending on the line and has a loose scree/talus gully to get to the saddle. Its a fun ridge, but probably harder than you are looking for.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

Charles and mystic lakes are pretty darned cool...ive done it before,and its pretty easy and obvious on picking a class 2 line up pika. Enjoy the views..there nice. Fools and gold dust view well from it.

On a related note has anyone ever traversed from eagle peak to un 13,085(aka..ribbed)? That looks gnarly awesome. Its on my looooooong to do list. Lol... i bet theres years where no one goes up "ribbed".

Edit...i shouldve known...furthermore did it in 2012...
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

^long but can be kept class 4 via right side grass ledges. Proper requires ridiculously good weather and perhaps a notch rap. Low fifth? The views back there...
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich