Mount Arkansas

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Arkansas n ridge route public acces?

Post by sunny1 »

Marmot72 wrote:Anyone done this route in the last year or so? A friend and I ended up doing Silverheels winter of '13 because we could not find any left turn from that hairpin area south of the pass that was not marked "no trespassing" by the climax mine operators.
Yes, up there in November.
Bill's description for the TH was spot on: http://www.13ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... 8040848543
Also had a GPS and Topo map along.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Mount Arkansas

Post by JosephG »

Marmot72 wrote:Anyone done this route in the last year or so? A friend and I ended up doing Silverheels winter of '13 because we could not find any left turn from that hairpin area south of the pass that was not marked "no trespassing" by the climax mine operators.
Steve,

It's not really a left-hand turn so much as just a small pull-off. It's right near the bottom of the south side of the pass, just before the road takes a hard right (west). It's more like parking on the shoulder of the road than any actual parking lot. If you're there when the snow is melted out, then the parking is right before the dirt road.
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Mount Arkansas

Post by JtheChemE »

Anyone have any inof on the N. Couloir conditions? Continuous snow? Has the cornice droppped?