Apache Peak/Queens Way Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Apache Peak/Queens Way Conditions

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Just wondering if anybody has been in that area recently. I'm anxious for couloir season to start!
-OwenZ
MaxKugel
14ers: 15  3 
13ers: 61 8
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Apache Peak/Queens Way Conditions

Post by MaxKugel »

I was up there the last two weekends (before this last storm/wind). Queens Way proper was in, obviously, but a summit descent (if you are skiing) looked like it would be interesting. Snow was pretty variable up by Toll.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Based on the view from my office in Lafayette, the Indian Peaks haven't really been out of the clouds yet since Monday, meaning that the recent snow and wind loading has likely not settled yet, despite the warm temps on the nearby plains. You're talking about an easterly aspect at high elevation...personally, I'd give it at least a few more days.
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

AlexeyD wrote:Based on the view from my office in Lafayette, the Indian Peaks haven't really been out of the clouds yet since Monday, meaning that the recent snow and wind loading has likely not settled yet, despite the warm temps on the nearby plains. You're talking about an easterly aspect at high elevation...personally, I'd give it at least a few more days.
MaxKugel wrote:I was up there the last two weekends (before this last storm/wind). Queens Way proper was in, obviously, but a summit descent (if you are skiing) looked like it would be interesting. Snow was pretty variable up by Toll.
Thanks for the great info. I guess I will wait a bit before heading up.

MaxKugel: how was the approach? I'm guessing it's not well-traveled this time of the year so route-finding can be a challenge and snowshoes are a must?
Last edited by Liquid Shadow on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-OwenZ
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Liquid Shadow wrote:AlexeyD: how was the approach? I'm guessing it's not well-traveled this time of the year so route-finding can be a challenge and snowshoes are a must?
That should be addressed to the other guy :) I haven't been up here yet this year.
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Clearly I couldn't read! lol
-OwenZ
MaxKugel
14ers: 15  3 
13ers: 61 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MaxKugel »

Don't know if you got my PM or not, but once you get past Long Lake it likely isn't very well-traveled, although the route to the base of Isabelle Glacier is pretty obvious. Avalanche danger is minimal until you get above Lake Isabelle. Skis or snowshoes would definitely be helpful.
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

MaxKugel wrote:Don't know if you got my PM or not, but once you get past Long Lake it likely isn't very well-traveled, although the route to the base of Isabelle Glacier is pretty obvious. Avalanche danger is minimal until you get above Lake Isabelle. Skis or snowshoes would definitely be helpful.
Yes I got your PM! Thanks! Yeah I have been to the Brainard Lake area a number of times but have never actually hiked to Long Lake or Lake Isabelle. I think I will be ok though, will take a topo map with me for sure and snowshoes. Hoping to bag Queens Way this Wednesday.
-OwenZ
thatmushroom
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by thatmushroom »

Liquid, let us know how it goes. I'm thinking of doing Queen's Way or the Apache couloir this Sunday. Kinda worried about the new snow later this week, though I'm hoping it'll have settled by Sunday.
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

I will let you know for sure. I'm planning on doing it Wednesday, and forecast says the area is supposed to get more snow starting Wednesday afternoon. Not looking forward to the arduous long approach though, especially with snowshoes on.
-OwenZ
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Ok so I made my attempt yesterday. I started from the winter gate at 5AM, and made it to the bottom of Isabelle Glacier around 11AM. I decided to abort the couloir because weather was rolling in, and snow conditions did not feel favorable, very loose stuff, plus I was also exhausted from wearing snowshoes the whole time.

From the Long Lake trailhead, there are two tracks, the one on the left is the correct one. I followed the one on the right and it led me to the trail to Pawnee Pass. After realizing this error I had to downclimb a snow slope back to Lake Isabelle. Anyway, Queens Way itself looked to be in a good condition, with snow leading all the way to the summit, no talus hopping needed. I have attached pictures here.
P1020607.JPG
P1020607.JPG (238.31 KiB) Viewed 715 times
I tried to get up to the glacier from the north side of the frozen pool, I have attached a picture of my route. It didn't work out so well. The "x" is where I stopped and decided to turn around. The south and west sides looked more promising.
P1020613.jpg
P1020613.jpg (292.29 KiB) Viewed 715 times
P1020612.jpg
P1020612.jpg (240.7 KiB) Viewed 715 times
I got snowed on the whole way out, the area really got dumped on yesterday, so I'm not sure about this weekend.

Hope this information helps!
-OwenZ
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Props on the effort! FYI, your line in green (specifically the right-hand side) is a very reasonable and direct way to access the Isabelle Glacier in more stable conditions. We approached it that way late June of last year, and that snowfield was nearly the same shape as it is now! Nice moderate snow slope, 35 degs max. Great ski/glissade when conditions are safe. Anyway, thanks for the pics; good luck on your next attempt.