Culebra Range- best north & south access points in winter?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Culebra Range- best north & south access points in winte

Post by Jim Davies »

erics1234 wrote:I dont do lists, so doing a non-exciting route would not be worth my time.
Except for the possibility of being arrested or shot, I'm not sure the routes in that range qualify as "exciting". Good thing you don't do lists, so you can just forget about it. ;-)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

Brian C wrote:
Teresa Gergen wrote:...Anyone know if CO has a similar clause about not being in violation unless you fail to leave the property upon request?
Hey Teresa! I'm not sure. I've heard some folks mention that but really have no idea.
In Colorado, Trespass is a three-degree offense defined at C.R.S. 18-4-502 through 504. First degree is a home or car. Second is enclosed or fenced. Third is just premises (which is defined in 504.5). In none of them does it say anything about requests to leave - if you're there, you're in violation. You can read the full text yourself if you want, just Google "Colorado Revised Statutes" and take the Lexis Nexis link. Castle Doctrine (aka Make My Day) is at C.R.S. 18-1-704.5

Also, yeah... "reportedly" is a key word there about CA law. The actual 602(k) says absolutely nothing of the kind: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displ ... e=594-625c. Now it may have been revised since then, as section (l) does talk about requests. In fact several of the sections talk about request, and it appears that CA law is much more detailed in defining what is or isn't trespass than CO (602 alone goes to (y), and there are some 602.x sections after that - have fun reading). That said, it reads to me like just because a request to leave may be required under one section doesn't mean it is under others. Looks to me like if you're there and don't get caught/asked to leave at the time, it's just a different section of 602 than if you did get caught.

I'm not a lawyer, and this it not legal advice. There may be other statutes or local laws that compound the issues.
Steve Knapp
14ers: 57 
13ers: 395
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Steve Knapp »

This would be extremely hard to pull off. Any 2WD access points are a long way from the range crest, even the 4WD roads are snowed in. As Kiefer said, you probably won't get public suggestions on access here, those most familiar with the Culebra range are unlikely to post and many are anti-trespassing. It would take days (possibly a week), with deep snow in the trees or saddles. Not all of the range is gentle, there are some spots that could be quite spicy when covered in snow. Other than your access points, there is little chance of being spotted or caught. Once hunting season is over, nobody is up on the range crest in winter on these peaks. I'm not condoning the idea, but let us know if you manage to do it.

Now the Sneak Peak rating system is very funny and a great idea! I enjoyed the description. We need something similar in CO! Not that I would ever climb any peaks like that. :-D