Culebra Range- best north & south access points in winter?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
erics1234
Trip Reports (0)

Culebra Range- best north & south access points in winter?

Post by erics1234 »

I am thinking of traversing the Culebra Range in winter, primarily because the entire range consists of pretty mellow terrain and that it would provide a great opportunity for some winter mountain photography. My plan is to start/end the traverse from Napoleon Peak on the north side of the range or Big Costilla Peak on the south side of the range. While on the traverse, I plan on remaining on the main spine of the Culebra Range the entire way. Im looking for recommendations on winter access points to Napoleon and Big Costilla, preferably ones that dont require 4WD. Any suggestions on winter approaches for THESE TWO PEAKS (or immediate neighboring peaks) will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Eric
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Culebra Range- best north & south access points in winte

Post by Kiefer »

You do realize that MOST of the range is private....right? You do realize that asking questions that blatantly involve trespassing publically is stupid at best...right? And you do realize that if anyone DOES have suggestions or recommendations (of which I do), no one is going to share them publically....right?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Kiefer wrote:You do realize that MOST of the range is private....right? You do realize that asking questions that blatantly involve trespassing publically is stupid at best...right? And you do realize that if anyone DOES have suggestions or recommendations (of which I do), no one is going to share them publically....right?
And Kiefer is blatantly telling people he knows how to trespass, right? ;)
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

:lol: :lol:

Hope you strong enough to daytrip cause night up there gonna suck. Everything south of Maxwell = no no
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
erics1234
Trip Reports (0)

Post by erics1234 »

Sorry, I just did some more research and didn't realize that you Coloradans look at trespassing as a more serious issue (and keep it down low when it does happen) than Californians. In California (where Im from), people are very casual about trespassing and post all kinds of stuff in the public domain, including several full length reports. We even have a rating system (the Sneak Peak Climbing Scale) for private property routes.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

FireOnTheMountain wrote::lol: :lol:

Hope you strong enough to daytrip cause night up there gonna suck. Everything south of Maxwell = no no

But Maxwell is not on private land? The reason I ask is that I was looking at traversing down from Trinchera but I wasn't sure if anything south of "Leaning South" was accessible.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

erics1234 wrote:We even have a rating system (the Sneak Peak Climbing Scale) for private property routes.
I'd love to hear more about this.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

I'm not suggesting that you do what you're considering; just pointing out a report explaining how someone else (NOT me) did it:

http://www.themountaininstitute.com/rep ... lebra.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Brian, a search brings up:

http://www.climber.org/TripReports/1990/2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last line is most interesting:

"California Trespass Law, Section 602(k), reportedly requires all of the following to be IN VIOLATION: The land must be fenced AND signed AND one must fail to leave the property on request."

Anyone know if CO has a similar clause about not being in violation unless you fail to leave the property upon request?
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

erics1234 wrote:Sorry, I just did some more research and didn't realize that you Coloradans look at trespassing as a more serious issue (and keep it down low when it does happen) than Californians. In California (where Im from), people are very casual about trespassing and post all kinds of stuff in the public domain, including several full length reports. We even have a rating system (the Sneak Peak Climbing Scale) for private property routes.
Colorado has a well-used "make my day" law. Some people say it only applies to tresspassing inside ones physical house. Others try to extend it cars and property. Juries tend to give a generous interpretation.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Kiefer wrote:You do realize that MOST of the range is private....right? You do realize that asking questions that blatantly involve trespassing publically is stupid at best...right? And you do realize that if anyone DOES have suggestions or recommendations (of which I do), no one is going to share them publically....right?
You do realize that the word publicly is spelled "publicly", right? :-D

But I agree with what you are saying. Whether we agree with what people do with their privately owned land or not, it is their land. Which is why, someday, I will holler and complain and curse beneath my breath....and pay to climb Culebra.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

Teresa Gergen wrote:Brian, a search brings up:

http://www.climber.org/TripReports/1990/2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I thought the "ranking" system was so hilarious I couldn't help but post it. Any partners interested in a Class S11 next weekend? Too bad that nuclear testing has stopped, or we could establish a Class S12.

SPS Rating System:
•Class S1 = Private property but no fences, ranches, gates or signs (Mt. Harbin 2582')
•Class S2 = Private property but no signs. Maybe a fence or two (Santa Ana Mt. 3112')
•Class S3 = Private property signs, locked gate, fence or 2, but no ranch houses (Palo Escrito 4465')
•Class S4 = Signs, locked gates, many fences, ranch houses currently occupied (Weller Pk 2450')
•Class S5 = Signs, gates, many fences, ranch houses occupied, plus barking dogs (Mt. Boardman 3626')
•Class S6 = Signs, gates, fences, occupied houses, barking dogs, and the houses have clear view of the route (Sonoma Mt. 2463')
•Class S7 = Signs, gates, fences, houses, barking dogs, and active security patrol on duty (Mt. Black & Mt. Day)
•Class S8 = Signs, gates, fences, houses, dogs, patrol, plus county sheriff or local park ranger (Poverty Ridge)
•Class S9 = Signs, gates, fences, houses, dogs, patrol, sheriff, plus local owners threatening climbers with guns (Rose Peak 1974')
•Class S10 = All of the above plus climbers with guns (Mt. Isabel)
•Class S11 = Trespass on military bombing ranges (Copper Mtn. 2678')
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean