Lookout Peak (near Ophir)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mkrier
14ers: 58 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Lookout Peak (near Ophir)

Post by mkrier »

Hey all - Was looking to do the 13er Lookout Peak or something similar this weekend near Telluride and had a couple questions as I haven't been able to find very much information on this peak.

- What is the Ophir Road like coming from the west side? I'm staying in Telluride and the only two trip reports I can find both came from the east.

- General thoughts on this route? Why are there so few reports/beta on this peak? (maybe this is the norm for 13ers in the San Juan range)

- Does anyone recommend any other relatively easy class 3 12er/13ers near Telluride?

Thanks for your help - Matt
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Re: Lookout Peak (near Ophir)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Matt:

I haven't been up from the west side in a few years, but it isn't too bad. It is rougher than the east side, but I did see a sedan that made it up from the west side.

I did Lookout over Memorial Day weekend and it is a fun half day outing. It is actually pretty well cairned. You will want to access the south ridge via a grass/scree ramp to the left of an obvious scree gully. Once you are on the ridge, it is pretty well cairned. From below, it looks like the ridge doesn't go. The upper route on the south face does have some exposure on kitty litter with some 3rd class. I will post my pics from the outing later.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

West side of Ophir Pass is pretty easy....rocky and narrow in a few places, but any vehicle with a little clearance should have no issues. I drove over a few weeks ago.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
mkrier
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mkrier »

Thanks Intrepid.

Thanks Kevin. I saw Furthermore's TR back in 2009, and he mentioned some of the moves were a "bit exposed" and another TR mentioning 5th class terrain, etc. so just wanted a better idea of what I was getting my group into.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

Lookout actually has a little bit of climbing, at least the route we took strait off the pass. Nothing complicated, but some climbing experience is preferred (in my opinion), not really exposed but some 10-15 foot chimneys and such... The view of Columbine lake is outrageous.
Climb up Pints down
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Here is a public link to my Facebook album for Lookout.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... a60a0f1dd8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

I don't recall any chimneys; just a lot of loose grit and rubble on class three stuff. A very short hike but the backside with its towers and glowing Columbine lake make it worth the junk getting up and down. Maybe a 4th class move or two is required, but fifth class terrain can definitely be avoided.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sdkeil »

I will echo what Kevin said about the route. Take the first grassy gully once you get up into the basin. The ridge is fairly straight forward. It was pretty obvious when you had traverse out onto the south face. That is where the class 3 and kitty litter comes into play. There might have been one class 4 move near the bottom of this section. Have fun the views are great!
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.
mkrier
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mkrier »

Thanks for the information guys & also to Kevin for posting pictures. Heading down today, hopefully weather clears soon.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

I think we were in the mood to climb that day... so maybe we went off route and got up into some rock to climb.... go for it!
Climb up Pints down