Vermilion/Fuller/Beattie Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
avs88fan
14ers: 56 
13ers: 173
Trip Reports (9)

Vermilion/Fuller/Beattie Conditions

Post by avs88fan »

Looking at attempting these guys from the Lake Hope side instead of Ice Lake side this weekend. Anyone been up on the Lake Hope side in the last couple of days? Not sure if there is any more snow left to contend with. Thanks!!!
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: Vermilion/Fuller/Beattie Conditions

Post by SnowAlien »

The group looked still a bit snowy from Niagara this past weekend, including the ridges. I'd take at least spikes and ice ax to be sure.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Had some friends go up this past weekend (Saturday), they ended up skipping the peaks because they were quite snowy, more so than they were hoping for. Sorry I don't have more details than that.
The lower basin flowers are supposed to be really pretty though.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
avs88fan
14ers: 56 
13ers: 173
Trip Reports (9)

Post by avs88fan »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm headed up Wilson the day before, didn't even realize that I should be able to get a pretty good view of conditions.
kmensch
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 123 9
Trip Reports (9)

Post by kmensch »

You should have an alpine axe for Vermillion to gain the ridge and glissade if you want (not my thing). You don't need crampons because the snow is soft for kick steps. I never recommend microspikes for anything but sidewalks.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

We climbed Vermilion via Ice Lakes a couple days ago, yep, lots of snow, actually made it much easier (with axe and crampons), but the SW side looks nearly snow free. The attached pic is on the Vermilion summit ridge, looking back towards Fuller, with the right side towards Lake Hope (and left towards Ice Lakes).

After gaining the Vermilion/Fuller ridge, there are a couple of small patches of hard snow on the summit route, but since we had taken our crampons off and stowed our ice axes, we climbed around them easily enough. Bottom line: I think you can climb Vermilion sans any snow equipment. If you take at least an axe, you could avoid having to climb around the small patches on the summit route.
Attachments
looking_east.jpg
looking_east.jpg (253.36 KiB) Viewed 476 times
runner69
14ers: 42 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (0)

Post by runner69 »

did any of you look over to Pilot Knob and Golden Horn? looking to try the 4 this weekend. Any info would be great, Eric
Do or Do not there is no try-Yoda
evolve
14ers: 17 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (1)

Post by evolve »

This might be useful, taken on Sun the 13th from Vermilion. Pilot Knob on the left, Golden Horn on the right.
icelake1.jpg
icelake1.jpg (333.03 KiB) Viewed 367 times
No idea what the west side of Pilot Knob is looking like.
@cruxology